Supercharger for 3.4L SFI in a monte carlo?

Cam'ron

Which stock supercharger should i be looking for for this engine?

ZZP has somethin in the works for the Grand Am fans (3400) ... (Turbo though) which ... turbo is much easier cause you don't have to align the belts or any other bullshit requirements ...

But the gains on the 3400 unless you've ported polished and perhaps changed the upper intake manifold did some ls1 springs, changed a few half a dozen other after market parts on that thing ... then ... perhaps it'll have some type of future.

But regardless keep your MC ... its a runner. Buy something else and restore it. Get a Fiero, Cavalier, Sunfire ... and be cool ... swap in a l67 and be happy for life.

ZZP has somethin in the works for the Grand Am fans (3400) ... (Turbo though) which ... turbo is much easier cause you don't have to align the belts or any other bullshit requirements ...

But the gains on the 3400 unless you've ported polished and perhaps changed the upper intake manifold did some ls1 springs, changed a few half a dozen other after market parts on that thing ... then ... perhaps it'll have some type of future.

Turbochargers are much more dificult to mechanically install. Build a custom crossover, build a custom downpipe, should have an exhaust on it, add a wastegate, block off the old manifold, then worry about all of the charge piping, intercooler, and filter. Tuning is also more dificult. Aligning a belt is nothing in comparison.

What can you change the 3400 plenum to? Why buy LS1 springs? A turbo will have significant gains as it sits, maybe 60+ horsepower. TimgG got almost 100 wheel horsepower from a turbo/intercooler on a 3.4 DOHC with very little supporting it.

Turbochargers are much more dificult to mechanically install. Build a custom crossover, build a custom downpipe, should have an exhaust on it, add a wastegate, block off the old manifold, then worry about all of the charge piping, intercooler, and filter. Tuning is also more dificult. Aligning a belt is nothing in comparison.

What can you change the 3400 plenum to? Why buy LS1 springs? A turbo will have significant gains as it sits, maybe 60+ horsepower. TimgG got almost 100 wheel horsepower from a turbo/intercooler on a 3.4 DOHC with very little supporting it.

We're talking two different engines here though ... unless I need to get my facts straight. I thought the DOHC was 97 and the 3.4 was no more in 95? Z34's saw 3800's in 98 ... then 96+ saw 3400's ...

Wow ... my bad :-\ Anyway, supporting mods = more HP for the buck in the end and ... in most cases reliability. Who knows though this is just reading posts from here and other forums ... I'm stupid. :dunce:

great now i can sleep ... :lol:

regardless to my understanding of the question...

Aaron is right though supercharging is easy but ... somewhat understanding how a turbo setup works is pretty easy too if you have the means/capabilities of doing it... but then if you did you wouldn't be asking this question ...

regardless: http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

feast your eyes upon that.

:confused: 3900 dollars holy shit! is that normal?

Yes thats normal. Thats what supercharger kits for most engines cost unless there is a larger aftermarket, then the price usually comes down slightly due to the large amount of people buying it, but still not a lot. I don't know what you were expecting it to be??? Thats why it would be so much easier if you started out with an L36 (3800)/L67 (supercharged 3800) powered car or swapped one of those engines in. Anyways, I never said you wanted a 13 second car, just that a supercharged 3.8L monte could easily be made a 13 second car, whereas it would cost you A LOT to make yours as quick as a very mildly modded L67.

Shawn

:confused: 3900 dollars holy shit! is that normal?

Yes thats normal. Thats what supercharger kits for most engines cost unless there is a larger aftermarket, then the price usually comes down slightly due to the large amount of people buying it, but still not a lot. I don't know what you were expecting it to be??? Thats why it would be so much easier if you started out with an L36 (3800)/L67 (supercharged 3800) powered car or swapped one of those engines in. Anyways, I never said you wanted a 13 second car, just that a supercharged 3.8L monte could easily be made a 13 second car, whereas it would cost you A LOT to make yours as quick as a very mildly modded L67.

Shawn

:werd:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 60* fan all the way, and I love the 3400, but I can't fathom throwing down the cash it would take to make a 3400 fast. Sure, there is a bit of mechanical aftermarket (cams, rockers, etc.), but by the time you throw enough shit on the engine to make it quick (and reliable.. a stock 4T65e would never hold up to a boosted/modded engine), an L67 owner who spent the same amount of money would walk you up, down, left and right. If you want a fast Monte either ditch yours and buy an SS (best idea) or look on Car-part.com for a used L67 and transmission.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 60* fan all the way, and I love the 3400, but I can't fathom throwing down the cash it would take to make a 3400 fast.

end quote

kinda like trying to rework a 267cu in from a 81 buick regal... thought about that then i got a 350 4bolt outta my uncles truck

That was the kit I mentioned, his name was John, and he removed it from his Alero over a year ago fearing a blown motor (Knowing him--it wasn't far off). But I got to see it up close, and it was a really sweet kit.

I win! Edit: Guess you said it was black. Must be differant guy lol.

post-3-1117822295.jpg

He ran with the rmcgp guys last month.