Sunroof/Moonroof Install

88regal

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody knows about or has installed an aftermarket sunroof or moonroof. It seems like it would be a big project, and one you would not want to mess up. Just something to think about though, if anyone out there has some info on this.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the cheap trashy popup ones you can get from Pep Boys, or real power sliding kind?

All aftermarket power sliding types I've ever seen are manufactured by either Webasto/Hollandia or ASC. Neither company sells their sunroofs to the public, you have to get them installed by authorized dealers. So the only way to get one is to find one in a junkyard car.

Yeah, I was looking at the Webasto site, in particular the Stratos sunroofs, and they looked pretty nice, but the two thing I was unsure of. The first was that they looked like I'd have to drop a grand or two - a lot more money than a little extra sunlight is worth to me right now. THe second thing is that I didn't know if there was somebody manufacturing something a little cheaper out there, something I could install myself, but tnot as cheap as the ones from pep boys you were describing.

Thanks.

I got an afte market sunroof. It's great! I got mine from ASC. I ordered it through Street beat customs for less than $400 bucks!!! I paid for someone to install it, It is something I wouldn't risk! I think shawn lin would agree. It is something you can't replace when you cut the hole in the top. Take my advise on somethings...1. don't buy a stupid pop up one. 2. Get it installed professionally...If something goes wrong, you can blame them! Just my 2 cents,

thanks, and God bless.

I payed $400 bucks for my installation. A guy in my town put it in. The sunroof cost about $400 bucks. All-in-all I payed about $800 bucks for my sunroof. Pretty good price if you ask me.

In my oppinion stay away from aftermarket sunroofs. I had one put in my 1993 Cutlass and it leaked all the time and whistled on the highway. It was an expensive power slider too. The company refused to take resposibility and the installer was even worse, I was always told that i was crazy there was no leak. It would literaly poor water in durring the rain when I came to a stop. Only solution was to replace the roof of the car, $3,300. I love that car, its was awesome and I messed it up with that damn roof, still upsets me to this day. Long and short of it is I was frustrated and did not want to pay that much, I ended up selling the car and am still mad at myself for messing up such a great car. Although I am now happy with my 91 Conv., so in some odd way it worked out.

Jason

Wow.Thats a hard lesson to learn! Maybe I won't get one. $800 is alot of money for some sunshine. Sure don't want to mess up my ride. I can't believe nobody would take responsibility for your sunroof. Sad.

Yes, it was very frustrating because the leak was so apparent, yet they could find nothing, the whistle on the highway didn't help either. Although it is very expensive it is possible to put a facotry sunroof roof on the car, but I would imagine this to cost about $4000. If you could get the roof from a junk yard and knew a good body person I am sure you could cut the cost a lot.

Jason

OK, so the expensive motorized sunroofs can't be put in right. Anybody have success with a cheap popup/removable one? Being a simpler design, I would think they would be easier to install... :?: