hud in impala

john99gtp

How doable is this (if at all)

im possibly looking at getting a new car, but i really, really like the hud.

i like the 05 impalas, but just no hud!

i would still pick it up, but a hud would be nice.

any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

you would probably have the best luck with getting an 04+ GP hud to work, for electronics compatability and all... I would think. I'm sure it would be a bitch to wire, too. Only problem is the new ones display "GP" when they light up....

But one of the older ones might still work, i;m sure theres peiople on here who know more about this stuff.

Well issue #1 would be the dash pad. The Impala's entire dash pad pops up when the passenger side airbag deploys (there's no separate "door" like most other cars have.) I would imagine cutting a hole and mounting a HUD in an Impala dash pad would cause problems if the PS airbag were to deploy.

Secondly, IMHO, a 97-03 GP HUD would probably work best with an 05 Imp seeing as the 05 Imp is still a 2nd Gen W-Body like the 97-03 GP, whereas the 04-up GP is 3rd (or is it 2.5? Whatever it's considered, it's another "freshening" of the W platform that the Impala doesn't receive unitl 06...)

yeah, its doable. you need to get the wiring diagram for the HUD, and then get the guage cluster harness diagram for yours and then you know what wires to splice into.

Just get a Buick...

which ones have HUDs?

Get a Corvette w/ a HUD instead. :wink:

RWD, Coupe, and to expensive, ill pass

Secondly, IMHO, a 97-03 GP HUD would probably work best with an 05 Imp seeing as the 05 Imp is still a 2nd Gen W-Body like the 97-03 GP, whereas the 04-up GP is 3rd (or is it 2.5? Whatever it's considered, it's another "freshening" of the W platform that the Impala doesn't receive unitl 06...)

An 04+ GP HUD might work, it runs off the OBD-II Class2 databus which an Impala should have. It's even less wiring than the new HUDs.

Then again, the BCM might need to be programmed with the HUD option. I once tried hooking up an Escalade trip computer to my Silverado, and it didn't have the appropriate programming in the BCM to send it any data.

97-03 is more of a sure thing, but I'd probably try an 04 HUD first to make sure since there will be a ton less wiring. An 04 HUD is pretty much just Ground, Power, and Serial Data.

You better be getting a SS.

:twisted:

yep

im getting sick of used cars

i wanted a new car, and i like the w-line (just not the 04 prixs :puke: :puke: )

I would go for a monte, but i dont like coupes that much.

i like the way the impalas look. and not EVERYONE has one either. no one sould suspect the lowly impala :twisted:

i like the way the impalas look. and not EVERYONE has one either. no one sould suspect the lowly impala :twisted:

Seriously? Around here everyone does have an Impala. :)

You can't go a block without seeing 1 or more Impalas.

wow, i see an impala maybe once a week if im lucky

i see GPs all the time (dont get me wrong, i like my GP and all, its just getting a tad high on the miles, and my friend just blew a piston in his thanks to the DHP (we're at the same milage, so its kinda freaking me out)

i want a car that is new, low (<50 miles) so i know how it was treated and i dont have to worry about the back story.

wow, i see an impala maybe once a week if im lucky

i see GPs all the time (dont get me wrong, i like my GP and all, its just getting a tad high on the miles, and my friend just blew a piston in his thanks to the DHP (we're at the same milage, so its kinda freaking me out)

You sure you really see that few? Maybe you didn't notice them because they tend to blend in. :)

I drove 2-miles to my wife's work and 2-miles back during my lunchbreak. In that time, I counted 10 Impalas, 5 97-03 Grand Prix's (all 4dr) and 1 04 Grand Prix.

A new W-body that is very rare = Buick LaCrosse!

I haven't seen ANY on the roads at any time, although 2 people in my neighborhood have them that I see on my walking routes.

i wouldn't think a hud would conflict w/the ecm. tap into the corresponding wires off the guage cluster and the dimmer switch(hud's), ground spots and behind the inside fuse box's correct fuse and it should work.