GODD*MNIT, F***ING POS @$$ GODD*MN SH*T!!!!!!! AAAHHH!!!!!!

Fat Ryan

I AM SO F*CKIN PISSED!!!! My godd*mn new grand prix is a total lemon!!!!!!!!!!! i just spend $700 on the f*ckin thing, and now im told that it needs thousands of dollars worth of work to pass inspection!!!!!!!!! I got totally screwed, d*mnit!!! WTF?

What kind of work does it need exactly?

If you can do any of the work yourself, you can save alot of that money.

I'd say you have 3 choices at this piont:

Fix what's broken

Move to a state that doesn't have an inspection

Sell it to someone else (but disclose what you know it needs)

BTW, this is one reason you should have a mechanic look over a used car BEFORE you buy.

Paul

first off Calm down. 2nd im assuming its the 3.4dohc dealerships are going to take you for a ride overcharging labor and 2x the price of normal parts. let us know what theyt old you you need to fix and i can almost garentee we can tell you how tofix it for 1/2 or 1/3 of the price they want. also the search button works wonders if you have some simple questions

Guest TurboSedan

what exactly is the problem with it? i'm assuming you are talking about your '89 Grand Prix :?: what did you just spend $700 on? fixing it or was that what you bought it for?

2nd im assuming its the 3.4dohc

not if it's an '89 :wink:

i just went off the %@!#@!# lemon part of the post but still the same advice applyes

I guarantee you that the "thousands" of dollars will turn into hundreds if you just tell us exactly what's wrong. Most likely, unless the transmission is shot, it's common shit. Give us details.

Guest TurboSedan
I guarantee you that the "thousands" of dollars will turn into hundreds if you just tell us exactly what's wrong. Most likely, unless the transmission is shot, it's common shit. Give us details.

agreed.

89 grand prix 2.8l v6 5 spd

i spent $700 on the car. i spent $60 in parts for a tune-up. $120 on diagnoses (tune-up and diagnoses were when i first got the car...maybe a few weeks ago).

i just took it to get inspecter (cause its up at the end of may). they said it needs:

Cat

engine mount

balljoint

leafspring

and a couple other minor things

for a total of $1063.12 (mieneke, not a dealership)

then the mechanic calls me back...

and now he sees that the exhaust is totally rotted from the cat back.

and the engine is smoking

and it needs a started (i kick started it to get it home)

he told me its not worth fixing. he didnt charge me anything (thank god! at least theres 1 nice person in this world). and he told me to cut my losses and just get rid of it.

Guest TurboSedan

man inspections must suck :( i'm sure glad i don't have to deal with that!

maybe you should consider buying another early W-body and use this one for parts? (it has a 5-speed!)

you suck! :(

i hate PA!!!!!

and, no, im not gonna sink money into this dog. the car sux anyways. its slow, and theres no d*mn legroom (im 6'3). im just gonna get rid of it.

I AM SO F*CKIN PISSED!!!! My godd*mn new grand prix is a total lemon!!!!!!!!!!! i just spend $700 on the f*ckin thing, and now im told that it needs thousands of dollars worth of work to pass inspection!!!!!!!!! I got totally screwed, d*mnit!!! WTF?

:lol2:

:lol2:

x2 :lol2:

It's a fucking 16 year old car, not a lemon ;)

What the hell's wrong with the monoleaf that made the inspector say it can't pass?

That is a bunch of shit to try and fix on a 16 year old W though.. unless the body/interior is nearly mint I don't think I'd waste my time with it.

I'll take the transmission off your hands though ;)

That is a bunch of shit to try and fix on a 16 year old W though.. unless the body/interior is nearly mint I don't think I'd waste my time with it.

Not to bring us back to topic or anything, but what does this inspection stuff consist of? I've never dealt with this in KS or MO. Here they just inspect the VIN to make sure it's not stolen or anything. Nothing mechanical.

So do you have to bring it to a shop to be inspected, and they have the word on whether or not you can pass? Does this cost anything? Because when I do inspections at work, we charge like $30 for it, unless it is with an oil change.

Enlighten me please!

Also that 5 speed would sure be nice in the STE, if it wan't so far away, and I wasn't so lazy. The STE doesn't even HAVE a shifter in it right now, I'm saving up for a new one, since the old one is/was messed up. Now I shift via a shift cable :lol:

PA Safety inspection is essentialy a check of all mechanical components, such as brake pads, rotors, struts/shocks, ball joints, etc... for proper functionality and within servicable limits.

Also, they won't pass your car if you have a rust hole bigger than a nickel (it will pass if bondoed)

In my county it also has to pass a gas cap test and have all factory emissions equipment installed.

Goddamn glad we don't do that crap here. Those inspections are enough to deter me from moving to ANY state that has any form of them. Never.

Not to bring us back to topic or anything, but what does this inspection stuff consist of? I've never dealt with this in KS or MO. Here they just inspect the VIN to make sure it's not stolen or anything. Nothing mechanical.

In Missouri, they are supposed to check tires (for tread depth), brakes (by removing two of the and inspecting for wear), horn, exhaust (for leaks), and suspension (for broken/warn out components). I'm doing this from memory, since it's been 6 years since I took one of my cars in for an inspection (when I moved to Ohio).

Of course, while I was there, you could always find an inspection site that won't really inspect anything, and Missouri now allows bi-annual inspections (because they allow 2 year plates now).

Paul