looking for cheapest upgrades first. can someone help

tgpguy21

i bought a tgp about 3 months ago. i just finally got the loan payed off so its time to start spendin. can anyone offer me advice on the cheapest things to do first that will help me out. i know a typhoon type k&n air firl systems runs 200. a new exhaust around 400. im going to be having my mechanic do this so that also plays a part in how much the total comes to. any help would be much appreciated.

tgpguy21

Guest Anonymous

Get a K&N filter and put it directly on the turbo. Cost me all of $36. Compared to $200 for what you were talking about. Get the chip and crossover from Jeff Middaugh and your set. Good plugs and wires wouldn't hurt either.

do you have a web site addresse i could get for the chip? how much do they run? whats a good pick for wires. i guess some people were saying the omega cores or something like that were really nice.

Here's how to do the K&N filter. http://gmsonline.com/tgp/viewtopic.php?t=225 The link should work.

Also, you might want to get new KYB GR2 struts all around for better handling.

You can also get billet aluminum upper motor mounts from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com They look better, are stronger then the stock mounts, and put the power to the ground earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

breather filters are $5 in pepboys, autozone, advance autoparts, muscle car shop etc... no need to order one just go down and pic it up no shipping no waiting. also you can get chrome look filters for $19.99 at autozone (spectre) for you turbo. I have noticed one problem though with the open air intake it will cause my boost to exceed 9.5psi (stock setting max) and I get boost cut so I have to let off the throttle before 3K and then punch it again waiting for the tranny to shift. I just flat out need a chip or remove my bcs and get a mbc to lower the boost to 11-12.

If you stop by your local GM dealer, ask for a 98+ Buick Regal strut tower brace. It's about $10-20. You'll have to dill holes into your front strut tower though.

Good tires. Get some good tires. 245/50/16 is the stock size. Kuhmo Ecsta Supra's are pretty cheap Z-Rated tires. Like $100 a peice.

Get full oil change, oil filter change.

Tranny fluid, gasket, filter change.

Fuel filter change.

Coolant flush.

New 02 sensor is needed with the chip.

Tune-up. DO NOT USE PLATINUM spark plugs.

cut your mufflers off and run straight pipe! mine cost me $3.75ea 2 1/2 piping, $4.00 U-clamps, and $2.50ea for exhaust pipe holders. Total $16.50 for 20+ (approx) hp and tq. Throttle response is increased and the slight bog has been elimitated. My mufflers were original units and were rusted to hell had leaks and were probably plugged now I am happy :lol:

I would do an open cone filter on the turbo, then i would definaly recomend A new Highflow cat. I sell and highly recomend Carsound Cats. Choping the mufflers shouldn't sound bad, Turbos quiet the exhaust pretty well. And with turbo cars the more you can open your exhaust the less lag you will have. your turbo will spool faster as well as hold boost more up top. the open cone should allow you to hold boost up top as well.

RedZ

cut your mufflers off and run straight pipe! mine cost me $3.75ea 2 1/2 piping, $4.00 U-clamps, and $2.50ea for exhaust pipe holders. Total $16.50 for 20+ (approx) hp and tq. Throttle response is increased and the slight bog has been elimitated. My mufflers were original units and were rusted to hell had leaks and were probably plugged now I am happy :lol:

See it here!

http://www.turbogpgarage.com

click on Engine, then go to the bottom to the muffler removal!

here is the direct link since I don't have DN hosting.

http://aldridgec.home.att.net/TGP/Engine/no_mufflers.htm