Replacing a convertible top...

sunny_8

Ok so now I need to replace the top on my cutlass.

Want to hear for others, on where to get the top, and what other things need to be replaced ?

How hard is it to do, and if the I take it get done, whats the price range ? I am in chicago !

Need some ideas on other upgrades for the 3.4 Cutlass Covert !

Thanks

I was going to buy a sunbird convertible when i was 16, and the top was trashed, so i told them i'd buy it for $500 more if it was fixed. Well they said ok and i signed a contract (seller and buyer) and they had it done. I know it was at least $1000 just for the top and install, which should be left to the pros imho. The place they got it done here in metro detroit has since gone out of business, but i know of other places who are much more expensive.

It all depends on what you may need, some of the parts are about as easy to find for a convertible cutty as it is to find atlantis. good luck and i would just look in the yellow pages for places and start calling. Later Jay

yeah, thats what ive been doing, and as soon as i get the cash here shortly I'm actually going to take it in to places too and see if they have any pics of their work or if i can find anyone thats used these places before

Dam I was hoping I could do it myself.

I know that the ridge around the back window is rotting, and some bits on the side are too.

I am missing thread in the front, but I have fixed it with some fishing line.

I was not aware that its that difficult.

Thanks, anyway.....

I don't have much to share because I've never done it.

However, there's a place on Ebay that sells replacement tops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7970429912&category=33652

He told me he can get cloth ones for $100 more.

I emailed the guy one time and asked if a DIY'er could install it. He said all you need is some time, basic hand tools, and a staple gun. I read up on the procedure in the service manual, and it doesn't sound that bad, but then a service manual can make rebuilding a tranny sound simple when in reality it's a big complicated mess.

Anyway, I plan to do it myself. Maybe having it professionally done is the smart thing to do, but if I always paid to have anything done, I wouldn't know 1/3 as much as I do about W-bodies.