Cutlass rear speaker install/remove

godofthunder

Hey yall

when removing the sirius stuff the other day from the cutlass..i was lookin at the read 6x9s. They have a metal plate below...and to small of holes on top to do anything with below the screens.

How in the world do you remove them?!!?!111

you have the "solid" rear shelf right? Like it looks like you have NO speakers at all?

Basically the whole shelf has to be removed before you could do anything. Involves removing the rear seat and side panels between the rear glass and doors.

Not to highjack the thread but has anyone removed the rear 6x9's from an intrigue? Mine has grilles but I'm not sure in they are supposed to come off, I really dont feel like taking out the rear seat :x that looks like a pain.

you have the "solid" rear shelf right? Like it looks like you have NO speakers at all?

Basically the whole shelf has to be removed before you could do anything. Involves removing the rear seat and side panels between the rear glass and doors.

that is correct I have the same setup.

and when i installed mine I did it partially from inside my trunk to avoid having to pull the back of the rear seats so far forward. I don't know how difficult uninstalling them partially that way would be.

On my sedan, I have the solid shelf as well. I had to take out the seat back to take the shelf out. But I had a 1.5" plastic spacer that was mounted to the rear deck from the top and the speaker had to be placed into the spacer from below. So I disconnected the speaker wire, removed the speaker and spacer as one replaced the speaker and reversed the steps. But I went one step further, I cut out the shelf where the speaker is and mounted the alpine type S speaker grill on top of everything. Cause the speaker only sits about 1/2" below the cover. You can sort of see it through the rear window in this picture.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation/images/201_48.jpg

i know that there are differences between someofthe 6x9s. my 91 cutlass sedan has screws that go in from the bottom,so you can remove the speakers from inside the trunk. But on the 97 cutlass sedan, the speakers mount from the top. i guess it got changed somewhere along the line.

so, are you guys saying the rear speakers on the sedans are different from the coupes!?... :?
Must be. My 96 coupe had 4 screws on the top and a cover over the speakers. (I still have the covers and stock speakers in my closet too :lol: )