Sister's 95 Monte

Robby1870

She came home the other nite saying it just started this loud ticking sound. Dad and I opened the hood and heard the ticking from around #6. We both immediately though lifter. So today, I tore the thing down, and #6 exhaust lifter was down. But, man, I dont know how you guys with 3100's do any major work. Ive never taken a 3100 down that far before, but Ive never had to mess with things that have like 5 or 6 clips or holders on them. There's so many things to take off the plenum just to take it off. Ridiculous. Thats my rant for the day, even though it only took me about 2-3 hours to take it down.

She came home the other nite saying it just started this loud ticking sound. Dad and I opened the hood and heard the ticking from around #6. We both immediately though lifter. So today, I tore the thing down, and #6 exhaust lifter was down. But, man, I dont know how you guys with 3100's do any major work. Ive never taken a 3100 down that far before, but Ive never had to mess with things that have like 5 or 6 clips or holders on them. There's so many things to take off the plenum just to take it off. Ridiculous. Thats my rant for the day, even though it only took me about 2-3 hours to take it down.

:werd: 3100's suck to take down. I hate how the thermostat requires the removal of the THROTTLE BODY to complete.. :roll:

She came home the other nite saying it just started this loud ticking sound.

sounds familiar...i wouldnt have been alarmed by that... :lol: ..in fact, i listen to that shit every day... :roll:

My poor old 3.1 ticks all the time. And it audible from inside the car, and when the windows are down on a calm summer night and I am just cruising around aimlessly that sound seems to get louder and cooler at the same time.

GM gave me a letter that basically says, your engine has a flaw, your warantee has expired, and you are fucked. They also said this ticking was okay and wasn't going to hurt anything and that's what I am going to believe god damnit! lol

- Jeff L.

BAH! I'd rather tear down a 3100 than a 3.1. The clips and crap you just get used to, just like ya do on a 3.1 with the various hoses and all that fun stuff.

Anyway did you replace the lifter or eh?

I tore it all down today, and since Advance Autoparts said it would take one day to get a lifter in (actually found 2 down. One on #6, all the way down, and one on #4 just about as far down as the #6), I'll put it back together tomorrow. Plus, doing her intake gaskets is going to stop her "mysterious" coolant leak. Whoever had this car before her really beat on it, the valve train was covered in thick really dark sludge like stuff. I got it all clean and shiny, it'll run like a top now.

One quick question...on the roller lifter, there is only one oil hole on the side of it, what is the orientation of this hole supposed to be? Im sure I could look at the others and figure it out, but I'll just ask.

So when you mean "down" do you mean the lifter was collapsed? Also 1990Lumina, are you talking about piston slap? I know alot of the 3100's do that.

yah..ive always heard that ticking noise was the lifters, escp. when cold. My cs is REALLY bad when it comes to that

:werd: ...mine sounds like its gonna blow up or something....

I thought that was only in the 3100(piston slap), but the 3400 does the same thing.

YEP...sounds really neat when my car and my mom's alero are runnin in the drive @ the same time :roll:

Update: Damn lower coolant hose fitting......the threads in the manifold seem a little off. I can screw the fitting in about 2 turns, then it gets real tight. Im thinking of just screwing teh thing in and hoping it doesnt cross thread.

it's not piston slap most of the time. It's the lifters.

:lol: ...mine deffinatly has both conditions...piston slap is only on cold startup...lifters make noise 90% of the time...

No these lifters make noise when cold. The newer 3x00's seem to be okay as the '02 Grand Prix in my household with 60k on the 3100 is SILENT on startup/cold. I think GM finally corrected them. My friend put in a set of used roller rockers off a '03 3400 and they don't make any noise either, whereas his old ones did.

Mine currently make noise- originals with 115k on them. The stiffer valve springs DID make them less noisey when cold but they won't make any noise after a couple of minutes of running. If yours make noise after the engine is warmed up, I'd look more into replacing them.

well, my mom's '02 alero with the 3400 makes noise too...not alot, but you can deff. tell its a 3x00...and mine seems to be quiter now that its warm...not bad @ all, but you can still tell its a 3x00 engine...

Maybe hers was built in '01? Who knows. Whats her odometer read BTW?

i've actually never checked the year it was built...BUT, its been making that noise since it was first bought...its got 33k on it right now...

my x-wife had a 2000 Alero with about 36K and it was loud at startup....my '95 Cutlass was loud at startup as well, but very quite when at normal operating temp

Maybe the N's got the shit parts again :lol: who knows. Knock on wood the '02 in my household is still quiet. If we ever go to sell it, I'll swap lifters between mine and the GP. LOL

Update: Damn lower coolant hose fitting......the threads in the manifold seem a little off. I can screw the fitting in about 2 turns, then it gets real tight. Im thinking of just screwing teh thing in and hoping it doesnt cross thread.

Anybody think just screwing the coolant fitting in is a good idea?