Proper replacement for metal heater core-engine tube?

88Intl

Those tubes corrode, and mine was replaced with a length of heater hose. Have a leak where the hose meets whats left of the tube. Maybe there is a reason GM used aluminum instead of heater hose, is an aluminum replacement available?

I disagree!!!! I replaced those "tubes" or lines or whatever you want to call em, when I replaced my heater core. They are (at least on mine) aluminum!!!! I wouldn't have had to replace them at all, but the heater core came different sized connector fittings, so I hade to use the replacment lines as well.

the line that runs from the water pump back to the core is steel. the one from the manifold under the thermostat is aluminum. the long black steel one rusts to hell and back cause it gets hit with everything that comes off the tires(mainly stones that chip the paint off and water/salt that rust where the paint is gone)

maybe it was a 88-89 thing if your big long one was aluminum cause every one i've had was steel... 90, 2 91's, 93, 94 luminas, and 91 cutlass.

The original ones are steel.

I bought a replacement from the GM dealer, I thought it was steel too, but I'll do the magnet check sometime because now I'm kinda curious of Delco replacements are aluminum.

Was just outside in 20F weather, removed the old hose. I wonder if the metal tubing provides better heat transfer to the heater core than hose, or if hose doesn't survive the environment down by the road? Have some Reflectix (also sold as Astrofoil) aluminum foil faced bubble wrap insulation, could wrap the rubber hose in this if it'll help the heater temperature.

I went out yesterday to see if a magnet would stick to the replacement tube I bought a few months ago. Yep! So the new replacements are also steel, at least they are from AC Delco. If you can find replacements in aluminum, I would be interested to know the source/brand/part# because I think aluminum might hold up longer.

Anyway, I don't see any problem replacing it with rubber hose. My guess is GM used formed metal tube primarily for aesthetic reasons and perhaps automated installation reasons.

You might try fuel injection hose clamps if you're currently using regular worm gear hose clamps. The fuel injection clamps work real good.

Thanks, I forgot about those!

Some p/o down the line switched mine to rubber hose and zip tied it from the line straight up the coolant overflow, across the top and under the cowl to keep it away from the road. Works fine, although it boggle me for a while. HTH.

I went out yesterday to see if a magnet would stick to the replacement tube I bought a few months ago. Yep! So the new replacements are also steel, at least they are from AC Delco. If you can find replacements in aluminum, I would be interested to know the source/brand/part# because I think aluminum might hold up longer.

Anyway, I don't see any problem replacing it with rubber hose. My guess is GM used formed metal tube primarily for aesthetic reasons and perhaps automated installation reasons.

Shawn, do you have the part # off hand? It's unfortunate that I have to replace mine, because there isnt a dent or rust spot on it anywhere! My problem is that there's a bunch of buildup inside the tube and limits the amount of heat it can produce. It really sucks.