what kind of power would a turbo Iron Duke make?

maybe2fast

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• DiscoStudd

• bartonmd

• Bossman429

iron head and iron block, not such a great combo for boost because it will ping at lower compression compaired to an aluminum head. It would still be cool as shit though, toss a t3 turbo on a stocker motor and run 8psi, see what she does.

A guy at work built a custom S10 with an Iron Duke. Not the best picture, but it's the green & gold truck at the bottom here: http://www.importandtruckbash.com/events/ohio.html# (Lenny - he's the shirtless one in the other pic). It's been a little while since I talked to him about it, but I think he said either it was a marine engine or was using some marine parts and was dyno'd at around or over 200 HP. It has some kind of production dual carb (4 BBL's, IIRC) manifold & a header. He did say it was way over carbed though. Unfortunately, I forget what else he said was is in it except for the valve cover - it has a clear top & strobe lights inside to illuminate the rockers when running.

I think rather then turbo the duke, Id SC it. Pushrod doesn't exactly allow high rpms that a turbo would need. A SCer could have a reduction gear that would lot it spin full open at say 4500 rpms, great for a pushrod.

I had a 77' Olds Delta 88 Pace Car replica, Pretty sure the actual pace car had the same drivetrain. Just no roof :lol:

403 V8, 4bbl, TH400, 10 bolt posi. 2.76 gears. Enough torque to out burn any V8 S-10 I ever met and good for at least 130 mph without topping it out.

man i miss that car... :cry:

78' pace car was pretty stock 25th ann. Vette, 79' was a fairly stock Turbo 2.3 Mustang.

I think rather then turbo the duke, Id SC it. Pushrod doesn't exactly allow high rpms that a turbo would need. A SCer could have a reduction gear that would lot it spin full open at say 4500 rpms, great for a pushrod.

People need to understand that a turbocharged engine in no way, shape, or form means lack of low end. Look at ANY GM turbo V6, they all KICKED ASS off the line, whether it be a TTA, SyTy, GN, or a diesel. And if you built the Duke to rev to 5,000 rpm, and sized the turbocharger appropriatly, boost would come on near instantly. I will guarentee it will make more power than a supercharged Duke would-at any RPM under 5k, especially if the Duke is using a roots blower.

• 4 weeks later...

since you can prolly get a Duke for like $50 from a junk yard, grab the turbo from a 6.5L Chevy diesel that's sitting around :lol:

those things rip @ low RPM :lol: :shock:

since you can prolly get a Duke for like $50 from a junk yard, grab the turbo from a 6.5L Chevy diesel that's sitting around :lol:

those things rip @ low RPM :lol: :shock:

I wonder how many RPM it would take for a Duke to spool that thing, like 10,000?

People need to understand that a turbocharged engine in no way, shape, or form means lack of low end. Look at ANY GM turbo V6, they all KICKED ASS off the line, whether it be a TTA, SyTy, GN, or a diesel. And if you built the Duke to rev to 5,000 rpm, and sized the turbocharger appropriatly, boost would come on near instantly. I will guarentee it will make more power than a supercharged Duke would-at any RPM under 5k, especially if the Duke is using a roots blower.

I'm talking a supercharger, not a blower. Centrifugal. Would have no problems with paracidic losses. Minor and the most.

I have nothing against turbos, its just that they tend to work better on higher RPM engines. That way you can have a larger turbo and create more boost. A little turbo will spool instantly on anything, but its not gonna make a fuckworths of power. A centrifugal charger could be pushing 3 psi at idle, more then enough to deal with its own paracidic losses, and run al the way to 10 psi with no issues whats so ever.

I'm talking a supercharger, not a blower. Centrifugal. Would have no problems with paracidic losses. Minor and the most.

I have nothing against turbos, its just that they tend to work better on higher RPM engines. That way you can have a larger turbo and create more boost. A little turbo will spool instantly on anything, but its not gonna make a fuckworths of power. A centrifugal charger could be pushing 3 psi at idle, more then enough to deal with its own paracidic losses, and run al the way to 10 psi with no issues whats so ever.

Centrifugal supercahrgers have losses just as a blower does-it is still belt drive. But their adiabatic efficiencies are much higher than MOST blowers, excluding of course screw types. On any motor, it isn't all about making boost. I'd rather have the appropriate turbo for the Duke than one size bigger. The appropriate turbo can still boost the engine at hgih rpm's, yet spools relatively quickly, with minimal heat.

If your supercharger is pushing 3psi at idle, you are an idiot. No street system should EVER push ANY boost at idle, it is useless and bad for your engine. Also, centrifugal superchargers are mucht he same as a tubocharger. They don't boost instantly, excepting certain situations, they have to spool. The amount of air they flow is directly related to how fast they are spinning. At idle, they are going to be spinning very slow, and should not be making any boost at all. A c/f s/c and a turbo are pretty much the same in every drivability aspect.

The Celeb and "Shit-ation" (Citation) were the only Chevy cars to get the 'Duke in the 80's (then the Lumina in the early 90's) ...

Nope....82-84 Camaro and Firebirds got the duke as the base motor :cry:

- Justin

The Celeb and "Shit-ation" (Citation) were the only Chevy cars to get the 'Duke in the 80's (then the Lumina in the early 90's) ...

Nope....82-84 Camaro and Firebirds got the duke as the base motor :cry:

- Justin

I thought that no Camaros ever got a 4 cyl, but I saw that last night and was quite ashamed :oops:

Centrifugal supercahrgers have losses just as a blower does-it is still belt drive. But their adiabatic efficiencies are much higher than MOST blowers, excluding of course screw types. On any motor, it isn't all about making boost. I'd rather have the appropriate turbo for the Duke than one size bigger. The appropriate turbo can still boost the engine at hgih rpm's, yet spools relatively quickly, with minimal heat.

If your supercharger is pushing 3psi at idle, you are an idiot. No street system should EVER push ANY boost at idle, it is useless and bad for your engine. Also, centrifugal superchargers are mucht he same as a tubocharger. They don't boost instantly, excepting certain situations, they have to spool. The amount of air they flow is directly related to how fast they are spinning. At idle, they are going to be spinning very slow, and should not be making any boost at all. A c/f s/c and a turbo are pretty much the same in every drivability aspect.

Aaron,

Agreed... kindof... Agreed that the Centrifugal S/C is asstastic... Specifically, that kind of compressor has airflow CFM (which translates to boost) that increases with the CUBE of speed... this is fine on a turbo because they can spool at low rpm... it's just dependant on exhaust flow... for instance... if you're at 2000 rpm on the highway... manual tranny.. no downshifting... you can floor the throttle on a turbo engine and make FULL boost at 2krpm...

With a Centrifugal S/C, since it's tied to engine rpm, it can't boost early... Say you have a S/C making 8psi at 6000rpm... Since the boost goes up at the cube of speed (engine speed in the case of a S/C), you're only making 2psi at 3000rpm and what... something like 1psi at 2000rpm... so in the same situation as above, you're on the highway at 2k... you floor it and instead of getting full boost like you can with a turbo, you only get 1psi, make ass for power, and get laughed at as you're toasted by the guy in the Grand National next to you... :lol:

A "Blower" which I think you guys are talking about a "Roots" S/C is different completely.. it's actually a "positive displacement pump" and will make boost really well at low end, but run out of flow (CFM) at the top end typically...

It just all depends on what you want to do I guess...

Mike

Edit: As kindof a side note, the "roots" type pump is most often used to pump things like flour and other powders, and liquids around factories due to it being a positive displacement pump...

Aaron,

Agreed... kindof... Agreed that the Centrifugal S/C is asstastic... Specifically, that kind of compressor has airflow CFM (which translates to boost) that increases with the CUBE of speed... this is fine on a turbo because they can spool at low rpm... it's just dependant on exhaust flow... for instance... if you're at 2000 rpm on the highway... manual tranny.. no downshifting... you can floor the throttle on a turbo engine and make FULL boost at 2krpm...

With a Centrifugal S/C, since it's tied to engine rpm, it can't boost early... Say you have a S/C making 8psi at 6000rpm... Since the boost goes up at the cube of speed (engine speed in the case of a S/C), you're only making 2psi at 3000rpm and what... something like 1psi at 2000rpm... so in the same situation as above, you're on the highway at 2k... you floor it and instead of getting full boost like you can with a turbo, you only get 1psi, make ass for power, and get laughed at as you're toasted by the guy in the Grand National next to you... :lol:

A "Blower" which I think you guys are talking about a "Roots" S/C is different completely.. it's actually a "positive displacement pump" and will make boost really well at low end, but run out of flow (CFM) at the top end typically...

It just all depends on what you want to do I guess...

Well it depends, most turbochargers will nto make full boost at WOT unless above 3-4,000rpm. But if your Duke is running to 5,000rpm, with an appropriatly sized turbo, than full boost at 2,000 is easy. But if your Duke is defying physics and running to 7,000rpm, than it will not boost at 2,000rpm.

Not all blowers (roots superchargers), run out of power on the high end. Whipplechargers specifically, are able to boost up well on the low side, yet flow very well at high rpm. But this is a screw type, not so much a traditional roots.

This is true if you use a smaller turbo and no wastegate... If you're using a wastegate and a correctly sized turbo, you can make full boost down at 2k given a couple seconds of course...

Correct, there are the 3 types... The Whipple is known as a "Twin Screw" and not a "Roots..." I was just talking about the Roots. If I were to do a S/C, I'd go with a Whipple (Twin screw type S/C) for the low power to turn it, the low rpm boots, and the high rpm effeciency...

See here: http://fastfords.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18

Mike

This is true if you use a smaller turbo and no wastegate... If you're using a wastegate and a correctly sized turbo, you can make full boost down at 2k given a couple seconds of course...

Correct, there are the 3 types... The Whipple is known as a "Twin Screw" and not a "Roots..." I was just talking about the Roots. If I were to do a S/C, I'd go with a Whipple (Twin screw type S/C) for the low power to turn it, the low rpm boots, and the high rpm effeciency...

See here: http://fastfords.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18

Mike

By definition, a Whipple supercharger does fit under a roots classification.

It is stupid not to use a Whipplecharger over a M90, there is not one reason other than cost.

If your turbo is made to still hold high efficiency and boost levels at a high rpm, than there is no way there will be enough exhaust at 2,000rpmn to make full boost, or even partial boost. hell even a stock Eagel Talon, they run out of breath at 6,000-6500rpm, can't boost at 2,000.

You're thinking the wrong way about the turbo size... you size the turbo bigger than something like a factory turbo... This way you can get full boost at low rpm and the wastegate opens sooner, but you have better effeciency at high rpm. You're right about the stock talons... My roommate in college had a 2G talon.. Put a bigger turbo on it... The wastegate would open at something like 3k WHILE ACCELORATING... and would stay at 18psi until redline... It would make full boost at around 2k while highway cruising when you floor it in 5th... of course, it'd take a couple seconds though...

Mike

Edited to add: They work similarly, but I'd never heard them both called roots blowers... They might be, but I've just never seen it

Edited again to add... My friend in HS had a Grand National... Stock everything... it would be making 15PSI from about 2000-2500rpm all the way to redline (which is, admittedly, like 5500)... again, the wonders of a wastegate... And a stock WRX makes full boost at what... something like 3k while accelorating?