Attaching a supercharger to the 3.1. What would it take?

digitaloutsider

I have this really sick dream of getting my hands on some metal casting tools and an Eaton M90 Supercharger. Now, speaking theoretically, what all would be involved in attaching the M90 to the 3.1? (This isn't anything I'm honestly interested in doing, I'm just really curious)

If I were doing this, I would probably do the following.

1. Relocate the battery to the trunk for more room.

2. Mount the M90 where the airbox/battery used to be.

3. Source a "shaft" or "driveshaft"(as some refer to it) setup for the M90's snout so that you can get the pulley inline w/ the stock accessory belt to drive it(have the shaft running along the space left in the front of the engine)

4. Custom make an sc outlet adapter unless you can find one available that will work for you. I would make one that caps the bottom of the sc off and has a round outlet in the center w/ a protruding pipe made on, then from there just attach some sort of tubing from the outlet to your throttle body. I suppose you'll be using a GTP/GS/etc/etc. M90, so I'd think you would need to fabricate an inlet adapter or possibly keep the throttle body in place and remove the throttle plate and run an intake off/put the air filter in the fenderwell if you can.

Then you have other issues to work out such as modding the engine and drivetrain accordingly to the power output level you wish to achieve. Also, custom tuning to take full advantage of the sc setup.

EDIT: Of course, you could always cut the plenum and go that route, but that creates other issues(need for cowl hood, etc.).

3. Source a "shaft" or "driveshaft"(as some refer to it) setup for the M90's snout so that you can get the pulley inline w/ the stock accessory belt to drive it(have the shaft running along the space left in the front of the engine)

For the driveshaft, why not use the SC of of the Saturn Redlines/ Chevy Cobalts.

I have this really sick dream of getting my hands on some metal casting tools and an Eaton M90 Supercharger. Now, speaking theoretically, what all would be involved in attaching the M90 to the 3.1? (This isn't anything I'm honestly interested in doing, I'm just really curious)

That dream is not THAT sick... :twisted: However, I would use a centrifugal s/c like a vortech V1S, paxton, etc. I have seen this at a car show, installed with the "driveshaft". This would also allow you to mount a intercooler.

For the driveshaft, why not use the SC of of the Saturn Redlines/ Chevy Cobalts.

Because the driveshafts are readily available from quite a few places. :wink: The redline uses a smaller Eaton M62 supercharger(it'd still be plenty for a 3.1, but M90's are readily available in junkyards for pretty cheap) also.

This is what I meant by a supercharger outlet adapter..

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo_13_z.jpg

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo_14_z.jpg

M90 on a 306ci V8 in a Ford LTD, check out the times it's running. :shock:

(third car down) http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo/ Also some other impressive Fords there. 8)

Yah supercharger off of the new Cobalts or Saturns is too small, a M90 from a T-bird or GTP is a much better choice. As for location, I'd use it in place of your factory UIM, and incorporate the L67 throttle body in with it. It'd be simple to make an adapter to get the M90 on, and that would be the easiest install. Plus it'd be easy to intercool.

Yah supercharger off of the new Cobalts or Saturns is too small, a M90 from a T-bird or GTP is a much better choice. As for location, I'd use it in place of your factory UIM, and incorporate the L67 throttle body in with it. It'd be simple to make an adapter to get the M90 on, and that would be the easiest install. Plus it'd be easy to intercool.

Especially with the 3.1 having a flat surface on the upper plenum, making an adapter plate with an extra 3.1 plenum would be cake.

I was working on an Eaton M90 project for my 3100 GP before I totalled it. Too bad i threw all that stuff out.

seriously?? how far did you get?

I had the supercharger at my place. I had designed the plates to attach the intake tubes to the charger. I had planned on mounting it right about where the air box was, with a nice long driveshaft to the belt.

If you really want a SC in your car, this summer, give me $1000(for parts, any left over cash will be returned), your car, and money for labor and working on it, and I'll SC your car.

This is what I meant by a supercharger outlet adapter..

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo_13_z.jpg

http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo_14_z.jpg

M90 on a 306ci V8 in a Ford LTD, check out the times it's running. :shock:

(third car down) http://musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0410mm_luxo/ Also some other impressive Fords there. 8)

0410mm_luxo_11_z.jpg

muyahahaha...i want that car....except in a different color

• 2 weeks later...

believe it or not i was just getting ready to post a similar topic, I already have an m90 and a 3.4 that i am going to rebuild. I was going to make an intake to attach between the blower and the lower intake and run it that way, the only thing i am not sure how to make work is the boost bypass valve. any ideas or anyone interested in the blower it has low miles on it. It came off a gtp that was converted to a turbo set up.

how about putting a vortec v1 s/c wjere your alt is an relocated your alt some where like where the 3.4 alt is i seen it done to a 2.8 once ill find this link to it later peace