I think this is the end of my car UPDATE Regal will live on!

HokemBokem

:x

This morning I took a trip to Home Depot to get some paint for my room and everything was good with the Regal. Well I needed a couple more gallons so I took another trip but this time when I sterted getting close to my house I started hearing this noise that sounded like a baseball card in bicycle spokes. I heard this noise all the way home and it gets worse the faster or more I rev.

It sounds like its coming from the left side of the block near the bottom. My uncle said it sounds like I blew a rod and im screwed. So what do you guys think?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HokemBokem

• DiscoStudd

• 93CutlassSupreme

• Dannymik

sorry man, it sounds like a motor! whats the milage?

Only 93,000! :x Man im so pissed. How much longer do you think it will last before its undrivable? Also my uncle said it might help to put some thicker oil in it??? Anyone hear of this?

I think driving it will make it worse, as of right now it may be repairable through the oil pan, vs the motor having to be rebuilt. I would have it looked at (proffesionally). Nothin against your uncle but thicker oil helps the slightest rod knocks and fixes nothing. from the sound of it it is pretty bad and requires repair. Sorry to here that, but it may be something smaller than a rebuild.

How's your coolant level been lately? Have you noticed it dropping or leaking at all? Any "Low Coolant" light instances?

The earlier 3800 Series II's had a design flaw regarding the EGR passage throught the upper intake manifold, which is plastic. The EGR pipe comming up from the lower mainfold warps the upper intake manifold (plenum) and will cause coolant to leak into the oil passages. As soon as this happens, the coolant washes out the lubrication from the main bearings, which causes them to wear out very quickly. Next thing that happens is the motor siezes up.

My advice is to have it checked out, and if the motor is shot, find a low-mileage boneyard 3800 (L36) newer the better (you can get a Series II all the way up to 2005.) If you get one pre-2000, you'll need to get the upgraded lower and upper intake manifolds that have a narrower EGR passage, so as not to melt the upper plenum. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 2000-up 3800's had the revised manifolds installed stock.

The good news is that 3800's are a dime a dozen. Just like the 3400, you should be able to pick one up dirt cheap...

Yea I just got it not to long ago :verymad:

My dad wants to take it in to the shop and have it looked at :roll: This is going to mean a ton of money :x

Hopefully if I do get it rebuilt or a new motor I can get one with low miles so it will last a lot longer than this one did.

Damn that sucks. But you never know, it might not be that big after the motor gets opened up. I'm very thankful that my regals have the 2.8 and 3.1. For What they lack in speed, they more than make up for in reliability and longevity. those things are indistructable.

Well Ill keep you guys updated. Its either gonna get fixed at a shop (money out tha ass) or get a cheap winter beater. I really dont want to give up on this Regal though. I want to give it to my brother soon and have it around for a long time.

Well Ill keep you guys updated. Its either gonna get fixed at a shop (money out tha ass) or get a cheap winter beater. I really dont want to give up on this Regal though. I want to give it to my brother soon and have it around for a long time.

Winter Beater????? WTF, there is no such thing as winter in Arizona. :joke:

Winter Beater????? WTF, there is no such thing as winter in Arizona. :joke:

:lol: I know but I will have a Beater in the winter

i'd say it spun a bearing or threw a rod or both, if you haden't drove it you coulda probably droped the oilpan, replaced the mainbearing(s) and traded it in running good. you still may be able to do it yet, but lets hope you didn't thrash the internals.

also might want to register at club GP, they seem to always have L36, and L67s for sale, talk to ed morad.

i'd say it spun a bearing or threw a rod or both, if you haden't drove it you coulda probably droped the oilpan, replaced the mainbearing(s) and traded it in running good. you still may be able to do it yet, but lets hope you didn't thrash the internals.

also might want to register at club GP, they seem to always have L36, and L67s for sale, talk to ed morad.

I was thinking of buying a new motor, but then I realized I dont know the first thing about installing an engine. Ive never even flushed coolant before. I need to do something that will get me back on the road quick.

honestly, the quickest way would be to drop the oil pan out, shoulden't be too hard, and look at the crank and the mainbearings, take pictures, replace what you need to, then put some thicker oil in it and trade the car in.

honestly, the quickest way would be to drop the oil pan out, shoulden't be too hard, and look at the crank and the mainbearings, take pictures, replace what you need to, then put some thicker oil in it and trade the car in.

Again I am not experienced enough to do this.

hell its easy, and on the bright side, its not like it can get much worse :shock:

:lol: thats true My dad already made an appointment tommorow at Midway(the local GM dealership) Thats when the real depression will start once I find out the price.

Do you know of any local shadetree mechanics? I'm sure you could find someone who'd drop in a boneyard motor for cheap. What about your local High School's Auto-Shop class? I wouldn't go anywhere near a stealership. They'll charge you out the arse to put in a Certified GM remanufactured motor. A good ole boneyard motor with low miles would probably work best in your case seeing as you're handing the car down to your brother, and also considering the car's age...

If you can't think of any shadetrees (or if your friends and relatives don't know any either,) I'm thinking that if you give a call to one of your local car clubs (think muscle cars,) they might be able to point you towards someone who'd be willing to swap your motor for cheap...

A dealership would be the last place I would take my car if I had faulty internals...how much do they charge an hour? :cry:

a lot of shops charge comparable rates to dealerships.

i've only found the only way to really get auto service at a cheap price is to personally know a mechanic.

any shop or dealer is going to be expensive. cars arn't exactly easy to work on anymore, and auto parts arn't cheap

If you take your car to a dealer, make sur that you don't get ripped off. GM dealerships will most likely put in a short block. That is, a new block with cylinders, crankshaft, and cams. They then dismantle your old motor and swap over the rest of the components. My GS had a short block installed at GM, before i Bought it. It was done in 2002. The original motor had over 300 000 Km's(about 189000 miles) And the bill showed that it cost around 2500 $ (CAD)