I think this is the end of my car UPDATE Regal will live on!

HokemBokem

yaknow, it could have been something as simple as a loose flywheel bolt.. My GP had one loosen up, I didnt realize until I was unbolting it to pull the motor. I know the garage said it was a rod, but they could just be wanting money..

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HokemBokem

• DiscoStudd

• 93CutlassSupreme

• Dannymik

yaknow, it could have been something as simple as a loose flywheel bolt.. My GP had one loosen up, I didnt realize until I was unbolting it to pull the motor. I know the garage said it was a rod, but they could just be wanting money..

Well im pretty sure it was something serious. It sounded like my engine was ont he verge of blowing :shock:

Well im pretty sure it was something serious. It sounded like my engine was ont he verge of blowing :shock:

having a loose flywheel bolt will make it knock pretty good, enough to make me think it was a rod and pull the engine.

<-------continues to beat a dead horse, but you are spending WAY too much...............

I know, my dad always wants to take my car in instead of doing things ourselfs. Once I become more experienced and start going to UTI I can start doing most of this stuff myself. Also its still in his name so if he was determined to take it in I would have to allow it.

you're not looking hard enough, and it will take some time to find a clean cheap car.

i find cheap cars all the time around here, and cars hold up better over time in Arizona.

don't limit yourself to just w-bodies. that really cuts your choices down when you're looking for a car.

i'd just like to beat the horse one more time, you're wasting your money spending that much on that car.

Well I just woke up and my dad was calling. He was at a machine shop is going to have my engine rebuilt. Its still going to cost 1,500+ :shock: Hes paying half of it since my brother is going to get this car soon. All I have to do is start paying 300 a month towards my car instead of 200 which isint bad. But which sucks ass is that its going to take 2 weeks :shock: Its going to really suck going 2 weeks without a car but when I get her back she will be like brand new :)

So everyone the Regal will live on!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Damn, Oh well, if your dad want's to take in into the shop to get it fixed, and won't let you do it your self, I would have him pay for it, but whatever. For that much money, you should have him bore and stroke it, Than you could be the only guy with a 4100 V6 in a W-body :shock: :lol:

don't limit yourself to just w-bodies. that really cuts your choices down when you're looking for a car.

I didnt limit myself to W's at all. I looked at just about every make exept Ford :lol: I found a lot of cars but they were just really shitty and needed work, looked like shit, ect.. I only have to pay about 600 for the work and my dads paying the rest. So for a rebuilt engine that is going to last me prob another 100k+ miles thats not a bad deal.

Well if he only has to pay $600 and his old man foots the rest, then I say he made out like a bandit!!! It's his dad that's getting ass-raped, not him...

Hey Hokem, be sure your old man gets some type of a warranty on the rebuild.

thats the sound my chrysler lebaron motor made right befor it was towed to the junkyard. knock knock knock. It still ran but it would overheat or spew smoke everywhere. oil and or coolant

thats the sound my chrysler lebaron motor made right befor it was towed to the junkyard. knock knock knock. It still ran but it would overheat or spew smoke everywhere. oil and or coolant

Don't they do that as soon as they drive off of the dealer's lot?

Don't they do that as soon as they drive off of the dealer's lot?

no, that's the Ford 4.6 SOHC

Yeah it's a pretty common occurance to see those older minivans coughing out smoke like a mofo. They're all POSs and I don't know why they all haven't been crushed already. To say the least I am not a huge fan of Chrysler products (except maybe the trucks) I'd rather own GM then Ford.

Actually the 5.4 SOHC is the one that knocks when cold. It sounds shitty, but it's because of the very short piston skirts. Once the motor warms up and the metals all expand correctly they're pretty quiet. Out of the 3 years I've worked for Ford I've never replaced a 4.6 for smoking or knocking. Leaking head gaskets, a ton, but never a motor replacement.

Actually the 5.4 SOHC is the one that knocks when cold. It sounds shitty, but it's because of the very short piston skirts. Once the motor warms up and the metals all expand correctly they're pretty quiet. Out of the 3 years I've worked for Ford I've never replaced a 4.6 for smoking or knocking. Leaking head gaskets, a ton, but never a motor replacement.

i see 4.6 Crown Vic's and E series vans blowing oil literally every single day.

the 4.6 SOHC is gutlass turd anyways.

Lots of those Crown Vics have a zillion miles on them if they are taxi cabs which were former beat-the-hell-out-of cop cars.. I'm no expert on Ford engines but those older Vics seem like they last quite a while..

Lots of those Crown Vics have a zillion miles on them if they are taxi cabs which were former beat-the-hell-out-of cop cars.. I'm no expert on Ford engines but those older Vics seem like they last quite a while..

funny, i can't remember the last time i saw a Caprice or Impala with a cloud of blue smoke following it.

Well if he only has to pay $600 and his old man foots the rest, then I say he made out like a bandit!!! It's his dad that's getting ass-raped, not him...

Yea thats what im saying. I only see my Dad about 2 or 3 days out of the month. We dont really see eye to eye on about anything. So if he wants to get it fixed then I say allright. I can make 600 bucks in a little less than a month and I will have a car that can last a long ass time.

Also will the engine feel alot different after the rebuild? Some guy at work told me when he got his engine rebuilt in his Ford Explorer it felt like a totally different car?

Yea thats what im saying. I only see my Dad about 2 or 3 days out of the month. We dont really see eye to eye on about anything. So if he wants to get it fixed then I say allright. I can make 600 bucks in a little less than a month and I will have a car that can last a long ass time.

Also will the engine feel alot different after the rebuild? Some guy at work told me when he got his engine rebuilt in his Ford Explorer it felt like a totally different car?

it won't drive the same again. we had a '89 Astro that spun a bearing at 12K and GM installed a shortblock because it was still under warranty. the car never drove the same again.

I put a remanufactured motor in my 87 Grand Am back in the day, and it felt like a whole new car! I was also glad I got a 3 year/36k mile warranty with it too. The valve seals wore out after a year and the motor would puff a bit of smoke when accelerating from a dead stop. They had to pull the head to replace them, so I got all new gaskets (and upgraded valve seals) and didn't pay a dime!!!

I say if you get a "reman" (and not a "rebuilt") the motor should be as good as or better than new.

the motor should be as good as or better than new.

Thats what my dad said. And also you know how some say its dangerous to switch to synthetic oil with a lot of miles on the engine? Well if I wanted to would this be the time to switch to synthetic.

Thats what my dad said. And also you know how some say its dangerous to switch to synthetic oil with a lot of miles on the engine? Well if I wanted to would this be the time to switch to synthetic.

Don't switch over until you properly break the new motor in. You have to change the oil after 100 miles, then 500, then every 1000 until it has 3000 miles on it. After that you should be able to switch over no problem. They also say you shouldn't be too rough on the motor for the first 500 miles. If you get a warranty, then you have to show proof that you changed the oil at the correct intervals during the break-in period...

And I wouldn't worry about switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine as long as it was well maintained and doesn't burn any oil (more than a quart every 2-3K.)

Don't switch over until you properly break the new motor in. You have to change the oil after 100 miles, then 500, then every 1000 until it has 3000 miles on it. After that you should be able to switch over no problem. They also say you shouldn't be too rough on the motor for the first 500 miles. If you get a warranty, then you have to show proof that you changed the oil at the correct intervals during the break-in period...

And I wouldn't worry about switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine as long as it was well maintained and doesn't burn any oil (more than a quart every 2-3K.)

I dont know if I will switch to sythetic though? Its just to damn expensive :lol: Anyway it looks like im going to have to be changing the oil alot soon.