Rearview mirror just fell off! help

f_399

how do i fix this?

i found a kit but i cant find a way to get a clip off the mirror to glue on the window.

anyone have this problem?

help pls. i dont want to have to go to the dealership to fix it.

Should be a torx screw to loosen it.. The plate should slide out after that, then rough up the windshield in the sspot for the plate w/ some sandpaper, and glue it up on there.. And put some tape over it and leave it there for 24 hours.. Or at least over night.. Good Luck!

duct tape that shhit

red_green1.jpg

That's right! If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!!!

Should be a torx screw to loosen it.. The plate should slide out after that, then rough up the windshield in the sspot for the plate w/ some sandpaper, and glue it up on there.. And put some tape over it and leave it there for 24 hours.. Or at least over night.. Good Luck!

Listen to Steve-O, he knows what he's talking about!

no sandpaper, take some rubbing alcohol on both the metal clip and the window, then use that window adhesive stuff you can get at an autoparts store for like 3 bucks.

you can use super glue as well. just spend the money for the good stuff. Leave the pad taped to the window for at least 8 to 10 hours before reataching the mirror. Make sure you coat the Metal or plastic pad real well and prees hard on it for at least a min. when putting it on the window.

i cant find away to detach the mirror from the part that i glue on.

the mirror will be to heave to put there... i neat to detach that metal thing and let it stay there for about a day but i can find a way to take out the mirror itself

You might have a bit of glue binding the mounting pad to the mirror. Be sure you remove the set screw, then you can try to wedge a flat blade screwdriver inside the channel to try to pry out the pad. It will pop out with a little prying...

This part should have a screw on the other side. Lossen it and take the silver shiney piece out.

522298_99_full.jpg

522298_95_full.jpg

He's got one of the ones that has a cover with a tab holding it down. He's gonna have to get a small screwdriver and push the tab to pull off the cover, I think the screw is under there.

There is no screw. This is a Donnelly snap-on mirror.

To get the button off, you have to insert a flathead screwdriver into the hole in the bottom. Pull the screwdriver handle towards the mirror (so that the tip of the screw driver presses against the button). This will push the button away from the catches. You may need to find a way to push the button downwards since normally if the mirror were on the car, you'd do the same thing with the screwdriver while at the same time wiggling the mirror up and off of the button. Since the button is no longer attached, you might need to use one screwdriver to push the button out of the catches and another screwdriver to slide it out. Or if you repeatedly push with the one screwdriver, maybe the button will slowly wiggle its way out.

• 6 years later...

Removing the button/plate mount from a rear view mirror that has fallen off of the windshield for specifically a 1997 Oldsmobile Cultass but probably has wide range of applications for GM vehicles of that period.

If you want information about removing an existing rear view mirror that is still attached to the windshield, you will find that info using google. Mine just disconnected by itself.

This is for a Donnelly IE 8012001 rear view mirror with dual map lights.

First, mark the windshield on the outside so that you'll know exactly where to reattach the button/plate when you're ready and then disconnect the wiring. It is a simple plug in mechanism much like a phone connector you would plug into a wall jack except there is no external tab release as there is on a phone connector. You will need a screwdriver to manipulate the release tab.

post-6083-143689063722_thumb.jpg

Removing button/base plate from rear view mirror for reattaching to windshield. The base plate is horseshoe shaped wedge that will slide out of the mounting bracket. There is no screw connecting it to the mounting bracket. You will need to use a screwdriver at the wide end of the plate to lift it up so that it will clear the lip that holds it in place.

post-6083-143689063714_thumb.jpg

With one hand, lift the wide end up and with the other hand slide the plate towards the screwdriver. This will require quite a bit of pressure and the plate may fly out of your grasp so you will want to do this where it won't end up underneath a piece of furniture or lost in other materials in the room.

post-6083-143689063726_thumb.jpg

You are now ready to use a rear view mirror adhesive kit to reapply the button/plate to the windshield. Be sure to follow all of the instructions for removing remaining residue from the windshield and the button/plate and cleaning the windshield before applying the adhesive. A razor blade will be very useful for this.

post-6083-143689063709_thumb.jpg

post-6083-143689063719_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Great first post, but the topic is 6.5 years old. :)

I'm glad he did post it, because it JUST helped me with a mirror that fell off the other day. Although, I can't seem to get the wiring unplugged so the mirror is still dangling.

I personally havent had good luck with the autozone kits. The first time I did it I took my time and it fell off after about 5 months or so. The second one has been on for over a year. Keepin the fingers crossed!

I'm glad he did post it, because it JUST helped me with a mirror that fell off the other day. Although, I can't seem to get the wiring unplugged so the mirror is still dangling.

Hi dalydose - If you're familiar with conventional land line phones, the plug that goes into the wall and the plug that goes into the phone both have tabs that have to be released in order to disconnect the the plugs. Disconnecting the rearview mirror is the same principle except with the phone jacks, the tab sticks out so you can do it with your fingertips. That's not the case with the mirror. Again, you'll have to use a screwdriver. I think you have to get under the tab and lift up but it might be the opposite. Can't remember for sure but I'd try slipping the flat head screwdriver under the tab and lifting up while at the same time gently trying to pull it out of the socket.

Just in case anybody is still confused, the text stating that there is a screw involved for the mirror that is pictured with the text is incorrect. There is no screw. The metal piece has to be lifted with a screwdriver and slid out of the slot.

@ ManicMechanic - this is precisely why I posted on a 6 year old thread. It just happened to me for the first time a couple of months ago and this thread had some confusion about how to work with it. This is a problem that is going to get more and more prevalent not less, so it's relevance will only increase as opposed to it being obsolete info. There's thousands of these older vehicles with this type of mirror adhesive and the older they get, the more frequently this will occur. It was a little time consuming doing it but I'm pretty sure it was worth the effort and hopefully it will save some other people a few hours trying to sift through unclear or useless info. Hope that satisfies your confusion.

this style sucks. There is no set screw. You have to pop off the cover (shiny balck that goes from the left to the right at the button ) This design is no fun.