Rearview mirror just fell off! help

f_399

Go to your local auto glass dealer/ installer and have them glue it on. I did this a couple times on different vehicles, $10 both times and lifetime warranty each time, which means if it ever falls off again they will repair for free. The glue from your local auto parts store will probably run you $5 anyway and no guaranty of it working.

In my 96 Park Avenue Ultra, I just used the rear view mirror glue kit from napa. I never took the button off, just razor bladed the windshield and button, used the supplied alcohol cleaner and just held it on there for a good 5 minutes with the mirror still on it. That was over 2 years ago, my buddy still has the car and the mirror is still there. I've used napa's rear view glue kits several times, that stuff is strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all...great forum and thanks for all of the helpful comments. Quick question. I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP also with a Donnelly mirror (part # 8011530). I came out to my car today and my mirror had fallen off over night. I was able to get the mounting clip (silver horseshoe looking bracket) out however with extreme difficulty. After lifting the locking piece on the backside with a screwdriver the bracket still wouldn't move and had to resort to using a hammer to lightly tapping it out. My concern is when I mount the bracket back onto the windshield I will not be able to slide the bracket more then a 1/4 of the way back into the back of the mirror.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

I've never had that issue with the 3 mirrors I've reglued. However I DID glue the mounting piece on backward once...

Just leave the mounting piece on the mirror and glue it that way, just be sure to hold it still for about 5 minutes and use a TINY amount of glue. You don't need much at all.

Edited by virtuetovice
Needs moar J

Hey all...great forum and thanks for all of the helpful comments. Quick question. I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP also with a Donnelly mirror (part # 8011530). I came out to my car today and my mirror had fallen off over night. I was able to get the mounting clip (silver horseshoe looking bracket) out however with extreme difficulty. After lifting the locking piece on the backside with a screwdriver the bracket still wouldn't move and had to resort to using a hammer to lightly tapping it out. My concern is when I mount the bracket back onto the windshield I will not be able to slide the bracket more then a 1/4 of the way back into the back of the mirror.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

I wondered the same thing but as it turned out the mirror slipped back on and locked securely without a great deal of effort. I have to disagree with the guy that suggested leaving the mirror connected to the mount. I separated the mount from the mirror and glued it to the windshield and let it bond for at least 24 hours before attempting to remount the mirror. Better safe than sorry and you don't have to sit there holding the mirror perfectly steady for god knows how long before a lasting bond is created. If you choose to do it the way I did, I would suggest sliding the mirror on gently and only using as much force as absolutely necessary. As I said, it reconnects a lot easier than it does disconnecting. Good luck.