WORRIESOME PROBLEM does this happen to anybody else?

89BuickRegalGS

Occasionally while taking relatively tight turns at higher than normal speeds, my car will stall. This is no good not only cause the car is running, but the power stearing and assisted braking cuts out, and the car is almost uncontrolable. Does this happen to anybody elses W-body? What could be causeing it? How can I fix it? THANK YOU!

It has happened to me before.

First time was a bad ECM.

Second time was a gunky, sticky IAC that I needed to clean (actually my fault, I used lithium grease on the IAC once and it deteriorated into sticky goo).

It's also possible to be the Power Steering Pressure Switch... not sure if that trips a code or not, but I don't believe so.

IAC = Idle Air Control. It's a little electric motor that opens and closes a pintle and lets air around the throttle plates to control idle.

It's a little black thing attached by 2 screws to the throttle body. I'd say it's about 1-1/2" diameter in size and has a connector that's about an inch wide.

The PSPS is located on the rack itself, on the gearbox. I'm not sure if you can see it easily or not. It doesn't really look easy to get to.

Both IAC and PSPS aren't possible to do a visual inspection on because when they go bad, they go bad electrically but still visually look fine.

I suppose anything is possible, but I've honestly never heard of that damaging the PSPS. Actually, I've never experienced a bad PSPS either.

If you have a multimeter, you might be able to check its resistance to see if it's functioning properly. If you can't get to it, you might be able to unplug the connector at the ECM and test it at the connector.

I'll have to look at the service manual when I get home and let you know if it's possible to do this.