signal lights

97cutlass

Hi all!Turned my car on today to find that I had no signal lights.Everything else works including all lights ,even the 4 way flashers.Checked the signal fuse next to the glove box,& both fuse boxes under the hood but,did not see anything labelled for signal lights.Is there a flasher or something?Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

The flasher should be on the frame that the steering column is bolted to. You'll need to remove the bottom dash panel to get to it. It'll be to the right of the column.

Try wiggling the stalk though. It's possible that it's a bad turn signal switch.

I had this problem on my 96 Cutlass Supreme. I went and got a flasher, and it didnt work. Fuse was perfect. Ended up being the computer inside the column.

Hazards worked, but no turn signals.

Had dad pull it in for a day and replace the computer, all beter now

Jon

PS - I got a flasher for sale if anyone wants it!

Is there any way to speed up how fast your flashers blink? what is this exact "flasher" part ur talking about? I know that from the switch behind the steering wheel the wires run down the coulmn, merge with the ignition wires, and plug into a big black box that you have to unscrew to remove or plug anything into it.

On my 96 Cutlass, there is a flasher part. Kinda small, bout an inch. In my car its under the dash, near the floor. You took the connectors out that held carpet to the dash by the pedals, and there it was, behind that carpet. They make thermal and electrical ones.

Im pretty sure that if you put in a different flasher, wouldnt that change the way your lights flash? J/w

jon

Hey guys!Thanks for all the suggestions.I tried wiggling the stalk,still nothing.I forgot to mention in my previous post,that I thought I heard a "pop"sound while starting the car coming from under the steering column.Flasher ?

Well,I found the flasher under the dash & it can be heard working with the hazzards.I guess I should have come to that conclusion before :oops:

Any thoughts on this computer in the column ?Is the signal switchat the end of the stalk where it meets the column ?further opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah!Does anyone know if they make after market cup holders?The ones that fold up into the center console?I called the dealer the other day & was told $70!For a molded plastic cupholder!

Hazard flashers and turn signals use two separate flashers. The flasher is a cylinder about 1 1/4 inches long. IIRC, one of them is on the passenger side of the car and the other on the driver side. I don't remember which is which, though.

There is a computer in the dash on newer ones i guess. I replaced the flasher and they still didnt work. My dad got the printout from his computer recordss at his shop. Usually its just the flasher that breaks

Jon

"Oh yeah!Does anyone know if they make after market cup holders?The ones that fold up into the center console?I called the dealer the other day & was told $70!For a molded plastic cupholder!"

The dog broke mine, I paid 65$ CDN, and I work at a dealership, so much for the employee discount!

It was indeed the flasher.Finally got a chance to look at it.10 hr. shifts & the wife takes the car 20 mins. after I get home.

Anyways,just wanted to say thanks to all for the help.Dog ate your cup holder?My wife decided it would be a good idea to fold mine into the console full of cassetes & force it closed! :roll:

Anyone ever use goodyear ultragrip hp snow tires?Found a couple used but,barely worn for real cheap.