33 replies to this topic

#21 Imp558

Imp558

Proud TransCelestialsexual

• Contributing Member
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:16 AM

One coil of a spring's height will be different from car to car, even if they are both FE3 because they're like a bazillion years old and have led different lives.

But there's good news, all you have to do is sneak in with a tape measure and measure between two coils to find out what one coil will drop it. If the distance is 2" and you want 1" of drop cut 1/2 of a coil, or 3/4 of a coil for 1.5" and so on.

Just make sure you measure it compressed by the car's weight and not with the wheels suspended or you'll end up slammed like a Miami Beach mini truck......

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

Her Stuff: 1996 SSEi - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

#22 redgrandprix

redgrandprix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

Fwiw (though I know this isn’t the point of the thread) my GTP with coilovers and super stiff springs rides better in general than my 06 with lowering springs, but I think it’s my preference for a tight ride. I always remembered hearing that cutting springs was a ghetto/unsafe/incorrect way to lower modern cars, otherwise I probably would have done it on a lot of my cars too late now!

Dare i ask what springs you have? Ive got a set of springs from canuck 2.5 front 1.5 rear and 4 new bilsteins. Waiting to install til i get camber bolts and new lower control arms Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Who knows whats been done to it.":think: 1994 Bright Red Grand Prix SE 4-door (wrecked) :( 1990 ASC/MCLAREN Turbo Grand Prix :biggrin:

2006 Grand Prix GXP

#23 Brodizzle83

Brodizzle83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

One coil of a spring's height will be different from car to car, even if they are both FE3 because they're like a bazillion years old and have led different lives. But there's good news, all you have to do is sneak in with a tape measure and measure between two coils to find out what one coil will drop it. If the distance is 2" and you want 1" of drop cut 1/2 of a coil, or 3/4 of a coil for 1.5" and so on. Just make sure you measure it compressed by the car's weight and not with the wheels suspended or you'll end up slammed like a Miami Beach mini truck......

That's a legit way of knowing how low it will drop? That's awesome! I need to put all 4 new struts in and then do it. Then drop the front and order a lowered leaf spring from that place in Canada. Or maybe I should do the rear first and then cut the front springs until it's an even drop with the rear? I dunno...not gonna happen anytime soon though. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#24 Psych0matt

Psych0matt

(╯°□°)╯

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,339 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

Dare i ask what springs you have? Ive got a set of springs from canuck 2.5 front 1.5 rear and 4 new bilsteins. Waiting to install til i get camber bolts and new lower control arms Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

on which car, the 06 has ssc springs that already had a few thousand on them, but on the coilovers I think I’m running 350/450 combo

'92 5 speed GTP - Mod list _____ '06 Grand Prix SE - Daily Driver

G1OY81M.png

#25 Imp558

Imp558

• Contributing Member
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

That's a legit way of knowing how low it will drop? That's awesome! I need to put all 4 new struts in and then do it. Then drop the front and order a lowered leaf spring from that place in Canada. Or maybe I should do the rear first and then cut the front springs until it's an even drop with the rear? I dunno...not gonna happen anytime soon though. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Theoretically you could find an FE3 car with a little sag in the back, look at the pics of my GS. There's about two fingers between the tires and body just from age.

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

#26 redgrandprix

redgrandprix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

The 06, ssc/canuck same. Maybe the bilsteins will help with harshness

on which car, the 06 has ssc springs that already had a few thousand on them, but on the coilovers I think I’m running 350/450 combo

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Who knows whats been done to it.":think: 1994 Bright Red Grand Prix SE 4-door (wrecked) :( 1990 ASC/MCLAREN Turbo Grand Prix :biggrin:

2006 Grand Prix GXP

#27 Psych0matt

Psych0matt

(╯°□°)╯

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,339 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

The 06, ssc/canuck same. Maybe the bilsteins will help with harshness Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

i put new gr2/accelGs on (with new balljoints and control arm bushings and the like), but I again think comparing them to the gtp isn’t fair. It definitely rides better than it did before

'92 5 speed GTP - Mod list _____ '06 Grand Prix SE - Daily Driver

G1OY81M.png

#28 Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:42 AM

I've been riding on cut front springs on my 1gen for a little over 7 years.  Here's the writeup I did.  FYI, I lowered the rear using adjustable coilovers.  I spent about $220 in parts for the entire rear setup and whatever a jy charges for front springs.

http://www.w-body.co... +of +my +cutty  Do you have any info on the adjustable coil overs? So, you kept the factory mono leaf, and changed the ride height with the coil overs only?

#29 MemphisMan

MemphisMan

• Contributing Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

I've been riding on cut front springs on my 1gen for a little over 7 years.  Here's the writeup I did.  FYI, I lowered the rear using adjustable coilovers.  I spent about $220 in parts for the entire rear setup and whatever a jy charges for front springs.

http://www.w-body.co... +of +my +cutty  Do you have any info on the adjustable coil overs? So, you kept the factory mono leaf, and changed the ride height with the coil overs only?

I removed the mono leaf and am just running adjustable coil overs.  I did the cut springs on the front first, then used the adjustable coilovers in the rear to even it out.

IMG 6132

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable

to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including' their life.

#30 Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 AM

I removed the mono leaf and am just running adjustable coil overs.  I did the cut springs on the front first, then used the adjustable coilovers in the rear to even it out.

Thank you! I'm sorry if this has been covered, and I missed it, but could you please elaborate? You said spent $220 in parts for your coil over shocks. I'd like to know what you did, and I didn't know removing the entire mono leaf was even a thing! I'm very curious to see what you did, and how you did it!! Your car has the dead nuts perfect stance that I'd like to have for mine. 

#31 MemphisMan

MemphisMan

• Contributing Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:38 PM

I've been riding on cut front springs on my 1gen for a little over 7 years. Here's the writeup I did. FYI, I lowered the rear using adjustable coilovers. I spent about $220 in parts for the entire rear setup and whatever a jy charges for front springs. http://www.w-body.co... +of +my +cutty Do you have any info on the adjustable coil overs? So, you kept the factory mono leaf, and changed the ride height with the coil overs only?

I removed the mono leaf and am just running adjustable coil overs. I did the cut springs on the front first, then used the adjustable coilovers in the rear to even it out.
Thank you! I'm sorry if this has been covered, and I missed it, but could you please elaborate? You said spent $220 in parts for your coil over shocks. I'd like to know what you did, and I didn't know removing the entire mono leaf was even a thing! I'm very curious to see what you did, and how you did it!! Your car has the dead nuts perfect stance that I'd like to have for mine.
Let me pull up the parts list and I’ll post it up. I had a very small window in which to complete the coilover install (like 2 hours iirc) and didn’t take a lot of pics. But here is a pic of the rear coilover installed. f0b6d8506ac32b092432c9f58f444f31.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG 6132

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable

to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including' their life.

#32 Imp558

Imp558

• Contributing Member
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Looks like some tenders and floaters would be nice there..

Banner2.png

#33 MemphisMan

MemphisMan

• Contributing Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:45 PM

Looks like some tenders and floaters would be nice there..

I don’t know what those are. I take it they make what I have better? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMG 6132

#34 Imp558

Imp558

• Contributing Member
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

I don’t know what those are. I take it they make what I have better? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the last picture I posted in this thread there's a tender and floater on the rear strut assembly on the left. It's just a very soft spring to take up slack when the vehicle is raised or becomes unloaded for some reason.

http://www.w-body.co...ver-2018/page-2

Banner2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users