Best-sounding mufflers for a 3.1/3100?

Brodizzle83

Looking for a set of mufflers to replace the stockers on my '96 GP with a 3100 V6. Can anyone give me some recommendations? I've listened to video clips on YouTube but most of them are terrible quality sound...must be recorded on crappy old phones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The muffler on my 94 GS had a fist sized hole in it, so I thought it would be fun to fabricate my own exhaust. I cut just behind the cat and am running no resonator or muffler. Dual tails coming out the side just before the rear tires.

The best sounding 3100 or possibly car ever is August's TGP, his muffler is a turbo with straight pipe behind it all the way. It's not obnoxious at all and the sound is amazing. Anyone who has heard it will likely agree.

I will admit I put a magnaflow on my 3100 CS back in 01.  It has been replaced once under warranty and needs to be replaced again, but they shop won't play ball.  It sounds OK at best.  Every time I hear one with a walker replacement it makes me cringe and I am not paying for an OEM.  Not sure what the solution is.  I can't say I have heard one that really sounds great.  I think if I wasn't selling the car in the near future I would consider adding another resonator and stay with the magnaflow.  

I've had a few cars with V6 engines and my formula has always been use a good piece for the resonator, either the ZZP or the Flowmaster Laminar flow unit. Then go with something chambered out back such as the Thrush fully welded from Summit or the Cherry Bomb Turbo. If you want a bit louder the Cherry Bomb Vortex has good sound canceling to fight the buzzy sound and keep the deeper tone. The most crucial piece is the resonator IMO to kill the drone.

I did similar set-ups on my Taurus 3.5, Chrysler 3.6, and two previous 3800s

Haha, those aren't crappy quality videos. That just what the 3100s and 3800s sound like without stock mufflers. :D

Panther piss, an un muffled 3100 L82 sounds more glorious than it has any right to, Lq1s even more. Magna flow DP with high flow cat converter going into a cherry bomb or thrush glass pack with a pair of Thrush turbo mufflers would have a 3100/3400 sounding absolutely righteous. You know what prevents drone the best? Ear plugs :dance:

A 3800 is an entirely different beast so I cant say much for the 90 degree v6s.