Re-surfacing crosslace wheel lips?

Brodizzle83

The wheels on the GP I'm looking to purchase have a really nasty gray film of something on the lips. It's mostly on the rear wheels. Has anyone resurfaced the lips on their GP crosslace wheels? If So, what was your technique? I've seen videos of putting the wheel on the drive axle and let it "drive" while on jackstands, then take sandpaper and go to town. Seems kinda dangerous...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's epoxy paint, Lowes sells an epoxy paint remover. Buy rubber gloves at the same day, don't want that stuff on skin. I used nylon wire wheels from Harbor Freight after the epoxy paint remover to get the little stubborn spots. 

I've seen videos of putting the wheel on the drive axle and let it "drive" while on jackstands, then take sandpaper and go to town. Seems kinda dangerous...

I used that method.  Not ideal, but it worked well.  You need to strip all the clear off the lips first.  Make sure to tape off the lace portion well so the aircraft remover doesn't seep into the laces and eat the paint off.

are you working with the gray wheels or the gold?

gray are painted, gold are powdercoated, as stated both are clearcoated.

again as stated stripper will remove all that isn't alloy.

To clean up the lips use wet paper, I started with 600 & gradually worked up to 1500, then polished the lips by hand & with a buffer.

My wheels are the gray, I glass beaded them first (the lip area & the center had to be protected from the blasting), cleaned up the lips then repainted the hub portion.

That was done 14 years ago.

lKFk67s.jpg

PnueDUD.jpg

To clean up the lips use wet paper, I started with 600 & gradually worked up to 1500, then polished the lips by hand & with a buffer.

My wheels are the gray, I glass beaded them first (the lip area & the center had to be protected from the blasting), cleaned up the lips then repainted the hub portion.

lKFk67s.jpg

PnueDUD.jpg

Was that a metal center cap? Mine are plastic so the best I could do was paint them black. If there are Aluminum ones I'd like to know where to find them.

lKFk67s.jpg

PnueDUD.jpg

You did a great job!  I assumed they were the white factory painted ones already.  The car he's looking at has factory painted white crosslaces.

You did a great job!  I assumed they were the white factory painted ones already.  The car he's looking at has factory painted white crosslaces.

The crosslace wheels were never available in white (with the exception of the white Petty edition wheels which are slightly different in the way they are painted).

If one comes across a set in white they've been repainted.

Here's what the Petty wheels look like..........these are blue

1992-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Tom-Petty-Specia

The crosslace wheels were never available in white (with the exception of the white Petty edition wheels which are slightly different in the way they are painted).

If one comes across a set in white they've been repainted.

Here's what the Petty wheels look like..........these are blue

1992-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Tom-Petty-Specia

I've seen the blue RPE ones but never the white ones (I knew about the white ones on the RPE cars just never seen one yet) and just assumed both your car and his potential car - the rims were swapped off of a RPE car. 

By the way, did you see his GTP 5 speed parts car?  It's pretty cool.

lKFk67s.jpg

PnueDUD.jpg

These are the wheels. The lips look grey because they're coated in...I dunno...brake dust maybe?d121b79212be8c6bec4e3361a23724b4.jpg

These are the wheels. The lips look grey because they're coated in...I dunno...brake dust maybe?d121b79212be8c6bec4e3361a23724b4.jpg

That looks like general lack of care to me, if there were brake dust on the wheel the hub spokes would be covered in it. If the pads are metallic or carbon the dust is usually black in appearance, ceramic would be a brown haze.

I'm constantly cleaning it off the fronts.