Power Steering pump ?

W30olds

Hey guys. So I need to replace my leaky PS pump on my 95 GP. Have a question. How's the easiest way to get the lower hose nut off that thing? The one that's behind the plastic resovior below the rubber hose. The hard piped one. Stubby wrench perhaps?? The rest seem pretty straight forward. So if there's any tricks you can pass along on changing it out please let me know! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm assuming you have a 3100? If so, a standard length wrench should work as there should be plenty of room to work with. Flare nut wrenches are what you're supposed to use on line fittings like that by the way.

I'm assuming you have a 3100? If so, a standard length wrench should work as there should be plenty of room to work with. Flare nut wrenches are what you're supposed to use on line fittings like that by the way.

Thank you for the info. Yes it is a 3.1L fire breathing beast of fury. I do have a set of line wrenches that I'll use on the metal line. Going to replace it hopefully Saturday weather permitting.

I ordered up a pump w/resovior from GM. Got a buddy who work at a GM dealer so I got the pump at his employee price. Pretty freaking sweet! So whenever it comes in I'll be swapping it out. Be nice to get the old leaky one out of there. It's starting to leak on the serpentine belt and throw fluid all over the passenger side engine bay. Nice.

It's likely just a leaky reservoir, a couple clips and the pump and reservoir are two pieces. Keep either the pump or reservoir in a big Ziploc bag for when you need it. Saving a few bucks.

It's likely just a leaky reservoir, a couple clips and the pump and reservoir are two pieces. Keep either the pump or reservoir in a big Ziploc bag for when you need it. Saving a few bucks.

I'll be hanging onto the reservoir for a spare for sure

The reservoir was the leak on the Monte Carlo. Now hopefully the pump is bad because it lost power steering. It should be in today.

I'm sure mines leaking from the reservoir also. It's the original PS pump, so I've gotten 23 years out of it. Can't complain. However it was only a few more bucks to get it with a reservoir already on it so I said what the hell. Hope you get yours fixed!

There is an O-ring around the reservoir nipple that fits into the pump housing, it won't last forever, 50cents for an O-ring is a lot less to spend than one would on a complete pump assembly..

There is an O-ring around the reservoir nipple that fits into the pump housing, it won't last forever, 50cents for an O-ring is a lot less to spend than one would on a complete pump assembly..

Nice! Just talked to Autozone and have a seal kit ordered. $12 buck for it. Thanks for letting me know this. The pump works fine but is leaking. I'll take it apart and replace the seals. Way cheaper than a new pump! Will be calling GM and cancelling my SO pump. Now to figure out the weird starting when hot thing......

If you decide to go this far,

to get the shaft seal out you'll need to protect the exposed portion of the shaft to prevent damage to it while forcing out the seal. In the past I've used a short length of shimstock...0.20 thou., surround the shaft & press it down into & past the seal lip then with a center punch make a small hole in the body of the seal & use small tapered round prybar to work out the seal.

If you decide to go this far,

to get the shaft seal out you'll need to protect the exposed portion of the shaft to prevent damage to it while forcing out the seal. In the past I've used a short length of shimstock...0.20 thou., surround the shaft & press it down into & past the seal lip then with a center punch make a small hole in the body of the seal & use small tapered round prybar to work out the seal.

I'm assuming I'm gonna have to take the pump out of the car? If so while it's out I'm going to see where the things leaking. I'm pretty sure it's leaking from a seal in the plastic reservoir. Mainly because the fluid appears to be coming from around where the lines come into the housing.

Replaced this one today, it was the most broken PS pump I've ever seen. The shaft was broken and the pulley with half of a shaft fell out in my hand. It was easier to remove from the car in two pieces so that was cool. Had to rock the engine to get the replacement back in.

post-3252-0-63194200-1524435294_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I took the PS pump assembly off a little while ago. Took off the reservoir and where it went on to the pump there's was no o-ring. So I'm pretty sure that's why it was leaking. That's the only place I saw. Installed new o-ring and reinstalled the reservoir. Put back onto the car and so far no leaks! While in there put a new serpentine belt on too. Thanks guys for giving me the info on the o-ring. Saved me a good amount of cash. You guys rock!

Replaced this one today, it was the most broken PS pump I've ever seen. The shaft was broken and the pulley with half of a shaft fell out in my hand. It was easier to remove from the car in two pieces so that was cool. Had to rock the engine to get the replacement back in.

attachicon.gif AA.JPG

That's not very happy looking......

begs the question.....

what happen to the original O-ring?

Yeah that's my thoughts as well!

Never seen one that bad...though I did actually have that pulley on the power steering pump on the Cutlass actually fracture..that center portion of the pulley is actually plastic on the LQ1, and I’d assume most everything else GM made around that time. Made a horrible noise.

Never seen one that bad...though I did actually have that pulley on the power steering pump on the Cutlass actually fracture..that center portion of the pulley is actually plastic on the LQ1, and I’d assume most everything else GM made around that time. Made a horrible noise.

The pulley on my PS pump is plastic also. It's a 95