The Holy Grail - Rebuilding the Getrag 284 5TM60

crazyd

Here we go.  What will it take to rebuild the mythical 284?  Tools, tooling, nonexistent service parts.  A couple of us have split the cases on these (including me) and it's a one-way trip even if you don't lose any parts.  Manual transaxles have been dwindling in production for years as is the expertise at rebuilding them.  Can 3D-printing, crowdfunding, or any other 2018 technologies make this feasible for the handful of us that still have them?  What parts interchange from the 282 or from other transmissions?

Not having been involved with the trans.....what parts are available vs not available?

I take it that no one else on the forum was aware that the same Getrag 284 was used by Chrysler in the TC Maserati cars 1988-1990.

To keep this information together, you should have a reference to the other threads on the subject, specifically the one you posted in the other thread:

http://www.w-body.com/topic/50230-5-speed-swap

http://www.w-body.com/topic/54311-getrag-284-serviceability/

Someone should probably go through the threads and pull the relevant information together into one place, and possibly by topic (disassembly, part numbers, specs, part dimentions, etc)

Not having been involved with the trans.....what parts are available vs not available?

I take it that no one else on the forum was aware that the same Getrag 284 was used by Chrysler in the TC Maserati cars 1988-1990.

Didn't know that, now I do.

55trucker, on 11 Apr 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

Yeah, I knew, but there were so few of them made, they were so broadly disliked, and so few are still running that it's not really helpful to the cause.  That's what I meant when I said the 284 was "largely overlooked" by the rest of the industry.  :)

Psych0matt, on 11 Apr 2018 - 08:53 AM, said:

Alternately, what would be the benefit of this versus Re building a 282 with some stronger parts, aside from the gearing?

Much smoother shifts.  The 284 vs the 282 is like night and day in shift quality.  The pull clutch torque capacity is also far greater in stock configuration, with less effort on the clutch pedal.  And the case is larger and stronger than a 282's.  Most 282's fail at the spider gears in the diff.

Just a suggestion here. Could the powers that be consider making a page in the specialty forums for everything manual transmission related? I think there is enough interest on here to justify a dedicated spot on this website for swaps, troubleshooting, and everything in between.

Just a suggestion here. Could the powers that be consider making a page in the specialty forums for everything manual transmission related? I think there is enough interest on here to justify a dedicated spot on this website for swaps, troubleshooting, and everything in between.

That's a good idea, but it would make more sense to have a general "Transmission" subforum in powertrain than one specific to Getrag, There really isn't enough getrag specific to support an entire subforum on it's own IMO but it would be nice to have transmission narrowed down from the rest of the drivetrain.

Fully support this idea.  284s have their own set of completely unique problems and solutions apart from automatics.  Lots of things (including even the TDC engine) are different in the 5-speed W cars.  As this is the only platform in GM to have ever used this transaxle and there is still so much ongoing need for support and manual-transaxle specific knowledge, not just from factory original cars but from swaps as well, I second the vote for a separate 5-speed subforum.

The 282 is a perfectly fine, rebuildable, stout transaxle. Nothing wrong with it.

The 284 IMO is best suited to the LQ1s power. Its from my understanding a extremely strong transaxle.

But really, I'm not here to discuss the pros/cons of changing it for a different one. I'd like to keep this topic pretty on track and not get side tracked with swapping the 284 for other transaxles as a solution.

As for parts that you can currently buy, right now. I believe its limited to Output shaft seals. and... thats it.

I'll have to scan in the breakdown from a service manual

• Like 1

I have no idea. Bearings will be the least of our problems. Its highly unlikely that those will be hard to source so long as we can get the information off what's inside the transaxle

I was just looking at my 93 service manual. It may take awhile to scan that in. The breakdown is gigantic.

I have a 284 with a bad 3rd gear syncro/blocker that I'm willing to take apart. Just a bit intimidated to do so.

There's a couple other things you can readily get for a 284 - clutch set (been thru 4 of them myself, all replaced under lifetime warranty at Autozone), speedo sensor, flywheel, master/slave/accumulator, mount.  The list of internal stuff we need is actually pretty small.  Differential output shaft bearings, input shaft seal, syncros and blocker rings.  Other than that it's just the tooling and tools to put it back together (especially the detent assembly).  I wouldn't recommend taking apart any 284 that you plan to reassemble at this point.

Not really much help, but two links that might be of interest at least.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showassembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=400655

This page has some of the breakdown from the original manual - scroll a few posts down.

http://www.60degreev6.com/vb5/forum/non-engine-specific/buy-sell-trade/20349-brand-new-getrag-5spd-284-m27-remanufacture-kit

Edited by mfewtrail

That's the thing. I Have a feeling If I try and split the case I'll never get it back together.

But I have to open it up in order to work on it. So I'll have to learn the hard way, it looks like.

I also would like to see this. Powertrain is way to generic of a category. Should have trans and engine with subcategories for each. These topics and brakes suspension is really the biggest reason people post

I also would like to see this. Powertrain is way to generic of a category. Should have trans and engine with subcategories for each. These topics and brakes suspension is really the biggest reason people post

I am not sure how hard it is to add these, and it would be even harder to try and move old posts into them. One option that could help at least target posts better would be a drop down, similar to how some forums do for sale posts (Options like FS, TW, SOLD,DONE,WTB, etc) that could have both motor and trans options listed (4CYL,2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, OM, AUTO, 282, 284, F40, OT) that could be selected for each post so the topics would be easier to find. 

That's the thing. I Have a feeling If I try and split the case I'll never get it back together.

But I have to open it up in order to work on it. So I'll have to learn the hard way, it looks like.

Splitting the case is very easy. Just need to remember where everything went in the detent system. I’ll split a few of em.

Here’s the internals of the 284.

2ce2c9faef7d2443a8ce699fef9eaf9c.jpg

the major issues with these are the input shaft seal sleeves, and the detent plate gets burrs and sticks locking you out of gears

the diff bearings you can get from Timken. I have mixed and matched parts on mine to get them to work. its too bad no hard parts are available. as for the clutch the pull type setup sex. you can make a 282 push type to handle more load with less effort. I had to run a double diaphragm clutch in mine to get it to hold. pedal effort was just retarded.. this is why switching to tilton twin disc.. hopefully will cut down on that. but its tight fit.. we really need parts for these made. Im willing to invest. I don't want an f40 box in mine car. I know the 284 will hold what I give it.

-Jarek

• Like 2

I was hoping you guys would see this.

Fortunately, most of us are worried about making sub 300hp lol

I think my first step would be figuring out how to disassemble it and get it back together again.

As for hard parts such as gears, shafts I'm not really worried about those near as much as I am about bearings, syncro rings

Jarek, how far have you been into one?

I found a place online that sold synchros and other parts for getrag trans. It wasn’t specifically for the 284, but I was convinced they where the same. Just couldn’t prove it cause I couldn’t tear down a 284 car enough. I’ll try and find it again. Had it saved on my other computer, which crashed, naturally..

• Like 2

That'd be awesome, Jay.

my neighbor is a CNC machinist so we may be able to make parts. But first step is liberating them from the transmission.

But really first step is figuring out how to tear it down and put it back together.

I'm probably going to need more broken/core 284s.