Spring rate.

GTP091

In preparing to make my front STB I’ve decided to replace my progressive front coil over springs with non progressives. The progressive part of the coils are always touching the next coil and the remaining spring is left with reduced travel. I was told not to buy progressives for this reason. Live and learn.

The current spring rate is 200-500lbs. I’m thinking of either 425 or 450lb spring rate for up front. Have 250 out the back. Any suggestions or anyone k ow what stock rate is? Another member with coil overs had 500lb up front and said it was to rough. I’m trying for the happy medium.

It appears as tho your fronts have lost their *load rating*, not the spring rate, spring rate never changes. If/as a spring wears it will lose it height, that is the load rating wearing out.

Load rating determines how much load a spring can support at a given height (installed height), spring rate is amount of force (weight) needed to compress the spring 1".

The aftermarket Moog variable spring for the fronts of this car is a CC654, each spring has a spring rate of 124lbs. & a load rate of 352lbs. The free height is 16", the installed height is 13".

Here's some good reading on the matter.....

http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm

The springs were like this right from the start so was never really happy with em.  You can see how half of the spring has coil bind and really a 10" spring is now jst giving 6".  Not what I was wanting in a progressive spring. I’ve read Some very old threads on 60degree site and seems most guys that had em went with 400 lbs up front and was rather stiff. I’ll start from there. I'l stay away from the 450lb spring as that will be to much.

post-3277-0-25393700-1523264590_thumb.jpg

I’ve got a pair of Aldan 400lb springs on the way. I’d like to put a bump stop and oem shock gaiters on while I’m at it. Wondering if any one can measure the width of the stock gaiters for me. Need to know if they’ll fit inside the spring ID. If not I can use a new set I have from my ATC 200es restore. They fit pretty well actually. The bumpstop fits inside the stock gaiter so reason why I’d like to go OEM.

Can anyone measure the width of the shock boot, gaiter, bellows, whatever you want to call it. Just need to make sure it won’t rub the spring.