#1 Nicutlass_Supremacy

Nicutlass_Supremacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationMontevideo, Uruguay

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:04 PM

Hi guys!

I've been searching for a coolant leak for 2 months and I've changed every hose, LIM gasket, O-ring, etc. I'm guessing there's a leak between the engine and transmission, that´s where I can trace the leak. Does anyone know if there's a freeze plug there? I'll try to use some DIY pressure testing and try to isolate the leak. I need some guidance!!!

Thanks!

#2 rich_e777

rich_e777

Interweb SortAScrub

• Contributing Member
  • 2,089 posts
  • LocationNashville,TN

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

A pressure test would help find where its coming from, I have an intermittent leak around this area as well and will test when the weather warms up some. Ive read where the problem my lie in the lower manifold gasket, an o-ring and a particular hose but I havent dug into the engine enough to see for myself.

1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupe-2004

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe 2015 RIP

1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible-2016

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew-2017

???-2018 (assuming the trend continues)

#3 Galaxie500XL

Galaxie500XL

• Contributing Member
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Ultraviolet dye added to the coolant could help track down the source of the leak..

galaxie500xl

1993 LT1 Corvette Coupe

1988 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 TPI 5-speed

2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT

GONE to a new home... 1995 Cutlass DOHC Convertible, 3rd Quarter 2012 W-Body.com COTQ

#4 jmjp5055

jmjp5055

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Hi guys! I've been searching for a coolant leak for 2 months and I've changed every hose, LIM gasket, O-ring, etc. I'm guessing there's a leak between the engine and transmission, that´s where I can trace the leak. Does anyone know if there's a freeze plug there? I'll try to use some DIY pressure testing and try to isolate the leak. I need some guidance!!! Thanks!

sounds like it is a metal line that runs down and along the passenger side of engine compartment From radiator to trans The fix was to cut the bad section out and reconnect with heater type hose. To actually replace that line you would have to pull the engine. Maybe this helps Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 55trucker

55trucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationOshawa, Ontario

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

I'm guessing there's a leak between the engine and transmission, that´s where I can trace the leak. Does anyone know if there's a freeze plug there? I'll try to use some DIY pressure testing and try to isolate the leak.

At the rear of the engine........which side do you see the fluid dripping from?.......the forward side (rad) of the trans or the rear of the trans (firewall).

Both cyl heads have freeze plugs located in the back end of them, you can't see them for all of the *extras* hiding them.

This might be the source of your leak, as far as I can remember the block has no plugs located at the rear.

IMG_3458.JPG

LO6Cy24.jpg

Steve

LQ1 GP GT

#6 Nicutlass_Supremacy

Nicutlass_Supremacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

At the rear of the engine........which side do you see the fluid dripping from?.......the forward side (rad) of the trans or the rear of the trans (firewall).

Both cyl heads have freeze plugs located in the back end of them, you can't see them for all of the *extras* hiding them.

This might be the source of your leak, as far as I can remember the block has no plugs located at the rear.

IMG_3458.JPG

It's leaking from the forward side, maybe it's that plug hiding behind the engine mount?

#7 55trucker

55trucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

Well.......to find out you're going to have to pull the exhaust crossover, then you'll be able to see the lower portion of the freeze plug, you'll have to pressurize the coolant system with a hand-held pressurizer, I assume that you don't want an earful of raw :Yikes_anim: :Yikes_anim: exhaust noise while you're doing this.

LO6Cy24.jpg

Steve

LQ1 GP GT

#8 Nicutlass_Supremacy

Nicutlass_Supremacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

I've found the leak!!! It´s behind the flywheel, on the fron side of the engine. I've bought one of those usb endoscope cameras and took some interesting pics!

Surfing for pics of that back side without a flywheel I've found what it seems to be a lq1 without a plug!! But mine has one and maybe other one on the other side!!

Attached Files

#9 Nicutlass_Supremacy

Nicutlass_Supremacy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Now I need to fix that plug! Which is the easiest way to take that flywheel off? Is there a way to do it without pulling out the entire engine? I don´t want to uninstall the air conditioning and everything else not involved in this!!

#10 Imp558

Imp558

Proud TransCelestialsexual

• Contributing Member
  • 4,471 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

It might be possible but you're probably going to end up separating the engine and tranny. I don't see running the bolts out of the crankshaft without having the converter out of the way.

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

Her Stuff: 1996 SSEi - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

#11 Imp558

Imp558

• Contributing Member
  • 4,471 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

A/C and power steering pump just hang off to the side, don't actually take them out. Pulling the engine would make for a great excuse to put a new alternator in given the difficulty of replacing it in the car.

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

#12 55trucker

55trucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

The engine doesn't necessarily need to come out, but.......

the trans has to be separated from the engine to get access to the flexplate/flexplate bolts by a long 3/8" breaker bar, I say 3/8" because it is less bulky than a larger 1/2".

The paraphernalia from above the trans has to come out, *battery, exhaust crossover*....etc.....the driver's side axle shaft needs to be pulled out from the transaxle, the right side released form the trans, the transaxle support bracket will need to be removed, the engine will need to be supported by an above hoist/engine bay support, one could put a support under the pan but I don't recommend it. Drop the starter, Pull the bolts that hold the trans to the back of the engine & slide the trans back enough to get room to get at the converter flexplate bolts and then the crank to flexplate bolts.

One could attempt to move the engine forward but the LQ1 engine mounts are a pain-in-the-ass to get to without lifting the engine up, it's a sort of *six -of-one-or-half-dozen-of-the-other* situation.

It's not a fun job at all, and not especially for what you're getting involved with.

• Imp558 likes this

LO6Cy24.jpg

Steve

LQ1 GP GT

#13 Imp558

Imp558

• Contributing Member
  • 4,471 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Balls

Banner2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users