Burning smell

KnightOwl

Yes, I've looked closely around the UIM several times and around the water pump area. The elbows appear to be fine, but if I pull the LIM this summer it will get the aluminum elbows from ZZP

I need to get the car on a lift and look around underside... not sure where I can tackle that though

The Aluminum ones come from chain parts stores now, Rockauto probably has them too. ZZP for performance parts, sure but not for every day things.

Generally if you can get something anywhere else, do not buy it from ZZP.

The Dorman part # is 47065HP. With an Advance Auto discount code, you can walk into a store and get them for $9.50. Same price shipped from Amazon if you have Prime. You'd be paying over $15 with shipping from ZZP.

• Like 1

When I first brought my car home I noticed a slight burning smell after a while highway driving. I thought at first it was just dressing the detalier had used under the hood to pretty things up, but by now I thought that would be gone.

I have looked closely under the hood and nothing is smoking in the slightest, and I've used a mirror to get a close look at the rear manifold to be sure oil isnt leaking from the valve cover, but everything looks clean.

Any other culprit ideas?[/quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first brought my car home I noticed a slight burning smell after a while highway driving. I thought at first it was just dressing the detalier had used under the hood to pretty things up, but by now I thought that would be gone.

I have looked closely under the hood and nothing is smoking in the slightest, and I've used a mirror to get a close look at the rear manifold to be sure oil isnt leaking from the valve cover, but everything looks clean.

Any other culprit ideas?[/quote

Same burning smell from my 3.4l

The power steering pulley is plastic with a metal insert well after 23 years the plastic cracked so as the car ran longer the metal insert would spin and cause the pulley to smell like burning plastic. Thought it had something to do with steering cause it was hard to turn left when power steering pulley was heated up.

No problems with steering but I'm wondering if the pump/ rack/ hoses might be having a slight leak on the downpipe. I still need to get the car someplace on a lift so I can inspect the underside. Thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...

No leaks underneath, but there is now a slight rattle sound coming from the front at idle. I wonder if the idler pulley is binding and making the belt slip? That could be the smell?

• 1 month later...

Still zero luck sorting this problem...nothing smoking but still, the commute to work (about 30mins) is enough to get the smell going. If you open the hood it is definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. I can find no coolant or oil leak above or below and the belt seems fine. If you lean over you can absolutely smell the burn.

Could something be cooking inside the fuse box? I'm completely stumped.

There's really nothing on the passengers side that should even get hot. Can you leave it running and get a good look with a flashlight to maybe see some smoke? There's an important ground wire just behind the battery, I suppose if there's a bad connection and enough crud it could do it. For that matter a ring on a power stud. There's also a poor factory connection right at the ABS on that big ass plug with the latch, last year I replaced one of those on a second gen that had completely charred.

There's really nothing on the passengers side that should even get hot. Can you leave it running and get a good look with a flashlight to maybe see some smoke? There's an important ground wire just behind the battery, I suppose if there's a bad connection and enough crud it could do it. For that matter a ring on a power stud. There's also a poor factory connection right at the ABS on that big ass plug with the latch, last year I replaced one of those on a second gen that had completely charred.

I will definitely give those two things a peek. I'm off next couple days. Thanks!

Took a good close look around under the hood today while the smell was present....engine running...and no sign of smoke. I thought it might be coolant overflow tank but opening that delivers the distinct odor, not at all like the one that got my attention. I looked closely around the battery and fuse block but no tell-tale signs of anything cooking. Looked inside the fuse block as well...nothing over-warm or melted. I cannot find residue of anything leaking albeit there are plenty of places I cant see. If you move to the driver side its pretty much non-existent so whatever the source, its on the passenger side...or being blown that way.

This really is bugging me, and now I begin to wonder if this is why the previous owner sold the car?

Them Miller must have called it right a page ago. There's something dragging in the brake or hub assembly. It only happened when the car is in motion.

we drove the car to dinner tonight...about a 15-20 min drive each way. Got back home and I could detect the smell and went straight to the front passenger wheel and the smell was definitely stronger than under the hood. So I guess I should be making prep for a brake job...which is cool since I wanted to paint calipers and add performance rotors anyway! LOL

Thanks guys for the troubleshooting expertise  ;)  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

we drove the car to dinner tonight...about a 15-20 min drive each way. Got back home and I could detect the smell and went straight to the front passenger wheel and the smell was definitely stronger than under the hood. So I guess I should be making prep for a brake job...which is cool since I wanted to paint calipers and add performance rotors anyway! LOL

Thanks guys for the troubleshooting expertise  ;)  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

When you've got all disassembled have a close look at the flex hose, if it has collapsed internally that will cause a clot in that line & the fluid pressure won't release properly resulting in caliper drag.

If that one has done so don't overlook the others as well.

Thanks for the info...luck for me while I was cleaning out the garage yesterday, I uncovered a set of braided stainless brake lines! I don't recall if I bought them for the 2001 GP or the Bonneville but they should serve the purpose. Woot! :dance:  :cool:

(this is what happens when you've been modding cars too long)