97-03 Grand Prix Daytime Running Light Switch

wstefan20

So, just as a lot of people here have either upgraded to hid's or just dislike this feature, I too sought to solve this problem. I know there's several kits both by zzp and by other manufacturers to accomplish this, but none of them looked factory enough for me, so here it goes:

First, I got another fog light switch and used a hack saw to cut it off approximately 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch from the switch back like this:

20171216_192550.jpg

Grab a front to the hud switch and peel off the front sticker:

20171216_193230.jpg

Take some sand paper and rough up both the front (where the sticker was making sure to sand level the dimmer switch hole which we will not be using) and the back (where the fog light switch will go)

20171216_194526.jpg

once cleaning both surfaces use a glue or epoxy (I used plastic epoxy) to bond the fog light switch to the hud face

20171216_194456.jpg

Now clean the front and paste whatever you want on the front using the old hud sticker as a template (I chose carbon fiber)

20171216_204327.jpg

Here's the schematic on the fog lights so you know what the pinout is (grey is illumination and black is ground both not pictured)

20171216_204748.jpg

20171225_141833.jpg

20171225_143223.jpg

20171225_143232.jpg

This pinout shows where to connect the wires on an 00+. For 97-99, the only difference is that instead of using the DRL wire, use the blue diode wire pictured later. The DRL module is below the driver's side dash, it's a gray box by the bcm. To make it easier to reach the wires, you can push up and pull down to remove the module.

DRL_pinout_page_001.jpg
20180107_164815.jpg

Still trying to work this out, but as it looks for now, just cut the blue wire to the diode if you're 00-03. For 97-99, see above, you'll use this wire to go to the switch.

20171225_150332.jpg

This is what it looks like clipped in

20171216_214505.jpg

And here with the dash on

20171216_214636.jpg

20180107_202444.jpg

20180107_202435.jpg

Wala! You now have an illuminated switch that looks factory to turn on and off your daytime running lights!

If you've ever removed the speedometer, you may have noticed several "spare" spots with places for bulbs. These actually correspond to pins on the connectors. Basically, you can use that green wire we left disconnected to make your own indicator bulb! I'll do this when I make my custom gauge cluster face so it'll actually have a symbol or something cool. Idk, the bat symbol? hehe

If you have burnt out bulbs (both of mine were burnt, this is what it looks like inside. The switch connection is a loose piece of metal that will fall out when you open it up, so be careful. The bulbs are covered with a plastic cover to create the color. You'll need to transfer this.
20180107_174036.jpg

Hope this helps someone!

Nice. I did the same way back, but with an aftermarket switch.....

DRL_Bypass_011.JPG

The funny thing is that I wanted the DRL's on a switch, just in case I needed them, but not once in the past 7 years have I touched that switch.   LOL

Yeah. I figured that might happen too. It's looking a bit lonely there so I think I might also relocate the trunk release switch here. Screw safety! It's a pain in my rear!

• Like 2

Nice. I did the same way back, but with an aftermarket switch.....

DRL_Bypass_011.JPG

The funny thing is that I wanted the DRL's on a switch, just in case I needed them, but not once in the past 7 years have I touched that switch. LOL

I like that design to! At some point I’ll have to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who saw this before, I updated this because I finally took the time to figure out how to get this to work properly.

On the 97-99, all you have to do is splice into the diode, but for 00-03, there's a backup system, so the former method does not work. 

I also got both indicators to work with factory dimming, so if you have burnt out bulbs, I got a picture of the inside where you'll need to replace them!

When I had my '01 GP GT all I did was unplug the wiring on the drivers side of the dash and the DRL were gone.  Auto lights still worked as expected.  Looks like a decent mod though!