Cant decide....

KnightOwl

I was under the impression the 99-04 wheels had too much negative offset to work on FWD applications. Every source I had checked said +35mm was the limit and I kinda took that as gospel since the 18x9 +38mm Bullitts I had on my 2001 were right at the fenderline. If there is one thing I don't want its the "sticking out" look. Did I miss something?

You did.

It's one of the largest misconceptions out there wheel wise for these cars.  That; and the garbage that the .7mm of lug pattern difference actually does something negative.  Newp.  The 99-04 Bullitt wheels (when the correct tire is used; usually 245's or the like) literally run perfectly flush with the OEM fender, no modifications, nothing.

The later year 05+ are an even higher offset, which is even more of a sinking look.  I had 235's on mine, they're also a more narrow wheel.  They weren't as aggressive, either.  The lower the offset above 0...the more poke you're getting.

That's why I wanted to run first gen SRT8 Charger wheels,  However, with around like +20~ offset...that wasn't happening without aggressive camber, rolled fenders, and other extra work I was too lazy to care about. 

I wish we had w wheel thread in FAQ. That information would be so cool to have all compiled with offsets and backspacing for all the generations.

Wheels are on and I'm very glad I chose the +40 offset wheel. With this much sticking out if I'd gone +34 I would've out past the fender. More pics in the build thread. These were 18x8s

IMG_E6126-L.jpg

IMG_E6125-M.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, I did the lowering thing with my 2001...KYB struts with Eibach springs, and never could get the vibration out of it. Tried the shorter dogbones but only slightly improved...not to mention the ride quality sucked eggs. I changed it back to stock springs a few months later. The car is already lower to the ground than anything else I own! LOL

I run KYB's and Eibachs on my 00 GT.  Use the motor mount spacers to bring the axle geometry back into stock specs and skip the dogbones.  That being said, I have very little vibration with nothing installed at this point.  I have an axle that's been going bad for a while that is causing it and I know it.  I don't mind the ride.  To me it's much tighter than the factory junk, even with the stock 16's on it right now.  A lowered car is never going to be a plush ride.  It's a trade off for handling/looks.  just depends on what you're willing to put up with.

I hated the 4x4 look once I got everything done so I dropped it. 

I believe that the Vogtland lowering springs only drop about .9" so that could be an alternative to dropping it some and keeping the ride quality you want.

ZZP offers a set of lowering springs on quick struts (KYB) but the whole set is like $800. The product description claim it doesn't lower the car enough to affect suspension geometry, so while a bit pricey, sounds like its the right combo. I'll look at the Vogtland springs because I think the present height of the car is due to sagging springs. Restoring stock spec will probably lift the car and I don't want that.