Cant decide....

KnightOwl

I really dig white wheels on a white car, as long as it's the same white. I like the original wheels you posted, except for the rivets

I still like those first wheels myself and the more I think about them, they would look even better if I sprayed the backside with a flat black or gray. That part of the wheel is gonna get dirty anyway, but if the accent white facing out looks good, the backspace rim behind should just be dark contrast.

BTW, that Turbo GP looks badass!

BTW, that Turbo GP looks badass!

That pic is a few years ago. I’d say check out my build thread, but photobucket ruined the internet.

To be clear: it looks a lot worse now

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to narrow down the wheel choices, so here's where I am now....

I like these, and I think they come closer to looking how a stock option would look. I think they would look great but I know they would be a royal PITA to keep clean.

WhiteJNC-S.jpg

These I still like a lot for the deep lip and the fact the white is more of an accent rather than the whole wheel. The dual pattern thing cant be helped these days. Not my favorite feature but one I could live with. I have them on my Escape and I dont find them so distracting after the lugs are in the other holes.

WhiteUtopia-S.jpg

These AR Torque Thrust are an old school option and I dont think this picture does them real justice. I had a set on my convertible and they are a sharp looking wheel but also a pricey choice. Still not sure how I feel about them on the white car.

ARTqThrst-S.jpg

These XXR wheels offer a lot with a deep chrome lip, a nice modern design, and the chromium black spokes offer the muted spoke but still a high gloss finish. I think these would look the most aggressive on the car and probably the easiest to care for! LOL I also think bright chrome lug nuts to match the lip would stand out and play down the dual pattern holes.

XXR-S.jpg

What is this?

Some black paint and these could look good on an old GS if the offset/width/diameter are available in something I'd want.

WhiteJNC-S.jpg

Edited by Imp558

I may very well order from that company. Thank you.

They have a few thet I'm impressed with and the prices are reasonable.

I'd like to stay 17" or smaller so I can exceed 15 MPH in my home town. Do we need 35MM to clear Second Gen and F-Body brakes?

post-3252-0-16619500-1519012682_thumb.jpg

Clearing brakes might be more about spoke design and overall diameter vs offset. I would think a 17in wheel should be fine considering the F-Bodies came with 16inch, correct? Anything more shallow than +34 offset will probably have the rim outside the fender line.

It's kinda funny after looking at the 17 inch wheels I'm now considering the XXRs in the 17x9 with a 245/50/17 because I do love a good fat tire stance. Overall I may only save around $100 in price but that's not a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've narrowed my choices after some further research. It looks like I'll have to rule out the XXR wheels in 17 or 18 since 9 inch width is too wide for a 245 tire (according to both Tire Rack and Discount Tire website) They would be correct if memory serves since I mounted 245/45/18 on 18x9 on my 2001 GP which bowed the sidewall out far enough to allow curb rash to the wheel lip...not a good thing. Which leaves me with 18x8 choices (I didnt find any 17x8 wheels I liked)

So once again, the white lace wheels similar to stock cross-lace rims

WhiteJNC-M.jpg

Or the early choice 5-spoke/white trim

WhiteUtopia-S.jpg

I'll keep looking for now but I think either of these will go with the white car well

These 17x8 XXR rims look pretty cool but a little busy with lots of spokes...but the platinum finish looks sharp

XXRPlat-M.jpg

Those are all stellar. I really like the 5 spokes but the dual pattern thing detracts from them in my opinion. The first one is a really nice looking wheel. I think I'l going to end up with a set of their wheels too.

Actually the exact same five-spoke wheel is still available with black powdercoat trim...which is the wheel I have on my Escape in 5x108, but the color scheme could easily work on the GP

IMG_5639-S.png

As installed on the Escape

IMG_5710-M.jpg

American Racing wheels...don't waste the money.  Find some 99-04 Bullitt wheels on Craigslist.  They are wider/spokes are more pronounced than the '05-'10's and the offset is more aggressive.

I ran '05's and wasn't much of a fan of the flat~ish spoke, however they still look good on these cars regardless of the "overdone" business.

And no to the above wheels.

Most of the wheels posted in here are blah lol but, it's not my car.

• Like 2

I was under the impression the 99-04 wheels had too much negative offset to work on FWD applications. Every source I had checked said +35mm was the limit and I kinda took that as gospel since the 18x9 +38mm Bullitts I had on my 2001 were right at the fenderline. If there is one thing I don't want its the "sticking out" look. Did I miss something?

I pulled the trigger last night on the wheels and went with the same ones I have on my Escape. I really like the look, the deep lip, and the black trim that contrasts nicely against the white color, just like the window trim does. I also have to admit that $539 + free shipping was a factor vs almost $900 sets of other brands in 18 inch. I've been very satisfied with them on the other car and I think they will look great on Gypsy, especially once I get the rotors and calipers done. Now for a bit more scraping to get the 245/45/18 tires.

18x8 / 5x114.3 / +40 Effects Utopia

Most aftermarket wheels have fake rivets. I hate it honestly.

121006_MilanniBladea1-512x384.jpg

I've always wanted this kind of wheel spoke, but it's hard to find them without the stupid rivets.

If they weren't so expensive, I'd just get the original version of that wheel.

38b95cu-960.jpg

Brabus Monoblock II

That and the Lorinser D93 have been the 2 wheel designs I've wanted to find.

Mercedes%20C-Klasse%20W203%20with%20%20L

I really like the ones on the older Mercedes.  Reminds me of the ones that some Saabs had.

I've seen those on Saabs before and they are definitely a unique look, almost a signature Saab thing really. I recall them more on a Saab than Mercedes, but either way they just aren't my speed. I've never been put off by rivets unless they are done in contrasting gold (which could work on certain cars I suppose) or when there are so many it just gets busy. I like the spacing and flush mounting on the wheels I bought. They have been easy to clean on the Escape, not snagging or ripping the sponge or brush. I do wish they weren't dual pattern but I can live with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just throwing out a feeler here...I should have my new wheels on the car in the next couple weeks which means I will have a full set of polished torque stars that I'll be looking to part with. If some one  is interested just shoot me a message and we'll work something out. If I don't hear from anyone directly I'll post pics in the classified section and go from there.

Thanks guys!

Pics of the Torque Stars (I told Mitchellman I'd post here) and the Goodyear Eagle LS tires are about half life or less...3/32 fronts 5/32 rears, but the wheels appears to be free of rust, pitting or curb rash (at least from the front)

IMG_6107-M.jpg

IMG_6106-M.jpg

IMG_6108-M.jpg

Sorry about my other car reflecting on this one...LOL

IMG_6109-M.jpg