Hello All! Shopping for a new toy

KnightOwl

only reason for that is to make room for a turbo. you put the battery in the trunk of rwd cars for the weight, fwd cars kinda need the weight for traction that it still lacks.

no gains, only the loss of funds from buying all that cable and battery tray.

The old-school hot rodders put the battery in the right rear to distribute the weight a bit better and help offset the weight of the driver on the left. Have to keep in mind all front engine cars are nose heavy. A 5.3 is just the most nose heavy example of a W-Body. Every car can benefit from trunk mount to a point. I don't think I'd want to add useless weight though.

That seems really light, even without the blower and LIM. What else was missing? Wikipedia suggests an L36 weighs 400 lbs dry (i know, wikipedia..). Scrap yards aren't known for their honestly-calibrated scales, but I could see that for JUST an L67 block and heads with no accessories, no exhaust, etc.

The only estimate I can find for an LS4 is approx 475 lbs "without a PCM or power steering pump", but I don't know if that counts exhaust manifolds/crossover, too. Fully dressed they have to be within spitting distance of each other.

stripped down block and heads i needed everything off the front for the new bottom end being it was a l36

or maybe 330 was full weight, and i was 30 lbs under it? it was over 2 years ago now.  seen a pic of a complete 3800 on a scale. that might have been the 330.

At any rate a good sized battery weight 40 - 60 lbs and that's before the box and cables so there's merit to the concept of transferring it to the rear of the car.

For drag racing it wouldn't be a good move but for handling it's worth it.

The biggest reason I moved mine was that it was in the way of my CAI.

The drive home from PA went well with no breakdown (YAY!) no rattles, buzzing, or things not working. The ride and feel is definitely not that of a 15 year old car. After the 240 miles trip, I did notice a slight burning odor but a check under the hood showed no smoke or signs of anything leaking. I assume it might be spray dressing or something that was used to clean the engine bay at detailing for the dealer.

I must get my 2013 Taurus sold before I can really dig into mods or upgrades, but for now it looks like I got a solid machine.

I also forgot how buzzy/raspy sounding the stock exhaust is on the 3800 engine...but that will change! LOL

If there is one thing I got plenty of experience with on my 2001 GP was finding a set-up with good sound and no drone.