Noisy front strut cartridge fixed.

ron350

Several weeks ago the 96 Regal started having a small rattle from the front right strut area. The noise got worse till it sounded like the strut cartridge nut was missing and the threads at the top of the cartridge were sliding up and down eating things up. The factory cartridges and mounts were replaced about 3 years ado with Monroe parts.

Got hold of a OEM Tools 27034 strut tool kit and started to work on the right strut. Removed the mount hold down plate and was surprised to see that the large strut to mount nut looked like it was OK. I put the 15/16 wrench on the nut and it was not tight but it only took ½ turn to fully tighten.

So I removed the large nut and the strut mount expecting to find damage to the threads on the top of the strut. I could not find any damage to the threads but when I looked at the underside of the strut mount I saw why the strut nut was loose.

The plate that the cartridge mounts to had crushed flashing around the flange that sits on top of the cartridge shaft shoulder. There was also some rubber from the molding that was on top that prevented the nut from seating against the steel.

Ground off the flashing on the bottom and scraped off the extra rubber on top on both front strut mounts. Put every thing back together and all of the scraping noise is Gone.

The mounts are Monroe 901921 so I will buy Delco mounts if the noise returns.

In the picture the bottom steel plate is removed showing the the upper steel plate that is molded into the rubber.

post-372-0-86649000-1512532765_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-13052200-1512532816_thumb.jpg