Another grand prix forums former member

wstefan20

Most registrars have a 2 to 4 week grace period after a domain expires.

Yeah. That's what I was afraid of... though other than loosing everything I've posted there, I'm glad I made it over here anyhow!

So if the domain expires it could technically be purchased by anyone, but with the database itself apparently offline, there wouldn't be any way to save the information that was there. The sad part is all that information is still on Godaddys server somewhere, but the only people that could legally get it don't care.

We've been here a long, long time. And there is a chain of command in the event that one of the major contributors were to leave. Outside of some freak nuclear accident, what happened to GPF would not happen to us.

• Like 2

Only one that can do anything now would be Devils Own.  So apparently they're jacking with it.  Or so it seems. 

That begs the question as to wether our new members will go back and do it again next year or settle down here.

After the way things were handled there, and if I stick around just to help...the only thing I'd do in the next year is just move literally everything over here if you guys can create sections for it.

• Like 3

So if the domain expires it could technically be purchased by anyone, but with the database itself apparently offline, there wouldn't be any way to save the information that was there. The sad part is all that information is still on Godaddys server somewhere, but the only people that could legally get it don't care.

If someone were to get the domain name, they could talk to go daddy about it, but it would probably be complicated. This is assuming go daddy also gives GPF a server.

When I helped someone create a forum, we bought the domain from go daddy but we had the server space with another company. If this is the case, the content is still legally property of the person that pays the server but that person would have to find a way to talk to the new owner of the domain name about getting the name back.

That begs the question as to wether our new members will go back and do it again next year or settle down here.

Not a simple question. It's not a issue where no one wants to pay the domain, it's an issue about running the forum as a whole, or so this is what I gather considering that no one wanted to be accountable for it when the time came. If GPF settles down and goes online again, the members will go back because that's their home and it's a forum dedicated to their car (97-03 and 04-08 GP's) but if never stabilizes or the frequent visitors make it home here and successfully take over W-Body then there would be no need to go back. Once a forum has a dedicated base, it's hard to get them out. We have to make them feel welcomed so they can stay. We have to accomodate them, which is tricky considering that most of our knowledge is 88-96 based.

Only one that can do anything now would be Devils Own.  So apparently they're jacking with it.  Or so it seems. 

After the way things were handled there, and if I stick around just to help...the only thing I'd do in the next year is just move literally everything over here if you guys can create sections for it.

Talk to the Admins; White93Z34 and DigitalOutsider. They should be able to come up with something.