Just bought an 01 regal gs, have some questions.

Billgluckman

From the looks of it someone has been there before you. No idea what injectors those even are.

But personally I wouldn't trust the work that the last guy did. At minimum I'd pull the intake set off the car and replace that.

Given that you don't know if it was overheated... 3800 head gaskets don't generally go, but it can happen. I'd just be concerned with dumping good money into a engine that could be shot from the coolant in the crankcase for a undetermined amount of time. Last 3800 I got in a similar condition lasted 400 miles before it spun several bearings.

Was this post edited? I didn't see this before. But yeah someone has definitely been here before me. I don't think they removed the intake though and judging from all I've seen I wouldn't trust anything they've done. Either way I bought warehouse clearance gaskets from rockauto so I won't be out much money if it doesn't fix the problem.

If i go far enough to pull the heads I'll go through the entire engine. I understand your concerns. I'm just hoping I can get lucky on this one. Ive got a good dd and a more serious project car, I bought this for a cheap back and forth to work car so I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Tapatalk test

Working?

Edit:: tapatalk doesn't fix the issue.

I hate to ask this but does anyone know of a regal/w body forum that doesn't have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have my phone for internet. I use it for everything and I've never had this issue. I'd like to make a project thread but it would be impossible with this issue. Thanks for the help

I only have my phone for internet. I use it for everything and I've never had this issue. I'd like to make a project thread but it would be impossible with this issue. Thanks for the help

If you do a project thread pictures will break text. Also posts can be edited later for formatting.

For some reason, our community seems to attract F-body owners...but I still miss my '95 Cutlass LQ1 convertible.

I've never owned a convertible but def want one.

If you do a project thread pictures will break text. Also posts can be edited later for formatting.

You're probably right about pics breaking the text but I've tried to edit and straighten out the posts. Doesn't work.

Oh no it doesn't work on a mobile device. This all started a year or more ago with a forum upgrade. If it's not a setting for an admin then it should be fixed with the next upgrade. You can run a thread now and then at a later date edit it from a pc though.

Oh I see what you're saying. Like I said though I only have internet access through my phone so this is just how it's gotta be for now.

Side note: I was thinking these heads were aluminum until I actually looked. Glad to see they aren't.

I get what you are saying, That is for sure something we need to consider.

I see you've got an iroc. I've got an 88 sport coupe I'm ls swapping right now.

I love my slow as hell IROC. Been tossing around the idea of doing a warmed over L31 with Vortec heads but I think I'd rather have paint then speed.

I get what you are saying, That is for sure something we need to consider.

I love my slow as hell IROC. Been tossing around the idea of doing a warmed over L31 with Vortec heads but I think I'd rather have paint then speed.

I can put some feelers out for an LS if you'd like. I tend to get pretty good deals on engines when I find them.

I'd rather not molest the car that much its made it 30 years without getting ripped apart and "built". A L31 is all but a total drop in that would look dead nuts stock under the hood.  But it comes down to would I rather paint or make power... right now, probably paint.  I appreciate the thought though.

• Like 1

I've always had a thing for third gens. This is my 3rd (still have my second but its parts material). My swap is just a 4.8 because I was able to buy a running donor for cheap. I'll be in the market for a 6.0 later down the line.

post-10834-0-79390300-1511929479_thumb.jpg

Ive thought about it but I don't race anymore, I mainly want a shiney cruiser with good low end torque and decent gas mileage. Simple and dependable but will still roast the tires. Lol

I’ve decided to go the other way with my IROC, and get the powertrain done first...first a T56, then an L31, and then a paint job that will likely cost as much as I originally paid for the car.

Nothing wrong with the vortec I just wanted obd2 and the simplicity, cheapness, and fuel economy of the ls swap using factory ls fuel injection. As for paint mine is currently a few different colors after a quarter panel swap. I painted the engine bay before I dropped the engine in but the rest of the car is in bad need of color. I'm dealing with a $900 base camaro so molesting it wasn't an issue. I was originally hunting a factory iroc and planned to leave it that way but couldn't find one In my price range.

I do still have the fuel rail and injectors. I no longer have the heads but I still have the gen 3 blower and LIM. I think I’ve got various gaskets as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered gaskets Sunday night and I think I have everything I need right now. Unless there's trouble with the engine which is very possible. I also know there was a gtp at a local upullit recently so I think I'm set. I will contact you if I need anything though

I ordered gaskets Sunday night and I think I have everything I need right now. Unless there's trouble with the engine which is very possible. I also know there was a gtp at a local upullit recently so I think I'm set. I will contact you if I need anything though

An L67 you'll generally know there's something wrong with the bottom end. Under 150,000 Miles it wouldn't scare me too bad to put some money into it. A timing chain is a nice touch and will give some power back.