Would you drive on this control arm?

98gpgt

Once everything is reassembled.

I had a new package of stubby drill bits. Man do those thing tare into metal. After I plowed all the way through I realized one hole was off a tad ... guess which one? I said I'll wake someone up if I keep on, and went to bed wondering how I would drill proper holes - really everything was obliterated. Today I woke up and took a few wacks at the ball joint, and what do you know the remaining studs became very defined. So I pounded them out in no time with a punch and hammer. Reassembled what I could, the damned nut in front wouldn't cooperate, so I once again called it a day. I'll likely replace the control arm eventually, but was wondering if you all think I really needed to. Tia.

post-10741-0-49030000-1509757066_thumb.jpg

post-10741-0-34732600-1509757112_thumb.jpg

$37 brand new on Rockauto

For $37.00, it wouldn’t even be a question. What you have there might be OK, but I keep thinking about the possibility of stress crack forming suddenly, and without warning. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

• Like 2

Well, and not to be contentious, and I realize 3 is bettet then 2, but there's 2 holding on pretty good even if 1 bolt hole ruptured. I can't imagine a stress crack affecting all 3. But I would bolt some extra steel on there. Yes for 50$ I could get 2 arms, bjs., and grommets. It just seems a waste though. Would rather try and affect a repair.

There’s pretty significant forces at play...I’m not saying it WILL fail, but the chances of it doing so are definitely greater, and if it does, it will likely be sudden, and with little or no warning. You, or others could potentially be hurt or killed. Why take the chance?

For $37 dollars I'd buy a new one. But I also haul my two daughters around and I wouldn't let something happen to them over $37.

I feel the same way, I drive with my kids in the car. It's also a nice gesture not to drive a time bomb on the same roads as other motorists like us who have children in the car.

• Like 1

BTW, on that car if you loosen the shaft nut and tap the CV in a tad, separate the ball joint from the knuckle assembly and then crank the wheel all the way to the direction of the side you're working on there's enough room to get an angle grinder to the top of the ball joint. If something gets damaged it's the ball joint that's not getting used again.

Either weld the holes round again and grind the welds to achieve clearance for the ball joint and fasteners, or replace the arm.

If you replace the arm with new, you get fresh bushings at the inner end, too.