Performance Tires for 1995 Cutlass?

hankbecker

Does anyone have a recommendation of some nice high performance tires that come in 225/60/16 for my 1995 Cutlass Conv.  There seem to be fewer and fewer choices available in that size.  It would be nice to find something designed for spirited driving on winding country roads.  So far the stuff I've seen on sites like tirerack have not been exciting.  Maybe I was supposed to get a Pontiac if I wanted driving excitement.

I would consider summer tires since it's a convertible and not a daily driver, but I live in the Pacific Northwest so premium all-season tires are probably more appropriate if I can find something sticky enough.

Falken Sinceras on my 1994 coupe have been quite nice. I put them on my old GTP as well. I dont think it was rated as a high performance tire but it made a difference on both cars. My brother can get Yokohama tires for his GAGT but they are 225/50Z/R16. 

There are no good summer performance tires made in that size anymore, as far as I know (outside of some overpriced Pirellis). The Sumitomo HTR Z's come in that size, but Sumitomo's are garbage. Your best bet is to find the most aggressive all-season.

The problem isn't not having a Pontiac, the problem is having a tire size that stopped being common 15 years ago.

• Like 4

There are no good summer performance tires made in that size anymore, as far as I know (outside of some overpriced Pirellis). The Sumitomo HTR Z's come in that size, but Sumitomo's are garbage. Your best bet is to find the most aggressive all-season.

The problem isn't not having a Pontiac, the problem is having a tire size that stopped being common 15 years ago.

When 16" wheels were common. Now most mid size cars get 18-19" wheels with low profile tires

Bigger rims and smallet tires keep cause then u could keep your overall size the same? But have more options

More options and such, but will loose some bounce in the ride and would be more stiff.

I love my Yokohama Envigor tires, but they may not be available any more. They wear well, handle well and look good.

I've had a set of those on a different car.  I did like they way they look and they handled okay.  If I can get them in the right size that would be a good way to go.

Does anyone have a recommendation of some nice high performance tires that come in 225/60/16 for my 1995 Cutlass Conv.  There seem to be fewer and fewer choices available in that size.  It would be nice to find something designed for spirited driving on winding country roads.  So far the stuff I've seen on sites like tirerack have not been exciting.  Maybe I was supposed to get a Pontiac if I wanted driving excitement.

I would consider summer tires since it's a convertible and not a daily driver, but I live in the Pacific Northwest so premium all-season tires are probably more appropriate if I can find something sticky enough.

The make has nothing to do with tires. Tires are shared with other cars, regardless of make. In the 90's 195/60R15 was a common tire size for the imports. It was easy to find tires for Sentras, Accords, Civics, Camrys, etc because the tire size they used at that time was everywhere. The problem really is that GM uses the most oddball tire size they can find when they make their cars. Case in point, 225/60R16 is a common GM tire but not a common mid size car tire. Most mid size cars now that come with 16s have something stupid like 215/60R16 or 215/55R16. 195/70R14 was the standard size tire for the Cavalier but you'll be hard pressed to find it on another car that's not a GM. 

Was the tire size common outside of GM? When I go to the boneyard, it seems as if the only place I'll find that tire size is in the GM section.

When 16" wheels were common. Now most mid size cars get 18-19" wheels with low profile tires

16" is still common. It's now the size of choice for the compacts and subcompact cars, but mid size cars get them too. Honda Civics come with 16s now as the base wheel size. The Accord has it as its base wheel size too (not sure of the newly redesign one). The Altima comes with 16s base... hubcaps galore. The LE Camry comes with 16"s. The Fusion's base wheel is 16. I could go on and on on but then I'd list every car available in 2017 and how their base model comes with 16"s but the top of the line models get 18 or 20" wheels. I think the highest size that they'll end up making from factory is 22". Any bigger and they become truck tires. It's hard to get anything above 18" in a non rubber band tire.

Bigger rims and smallet tires keep cause then u could keep your overall size the same? But have more options

You have to keep your overall size the same regardless unless you rebuild the suspension. I could easily fit 22"s, but I'd be stuck with a 245/30R22 tire and driving like that in DC is asking for trouble. The roads here are terrible. I could fit 245/40R22 but I'd have to lift the car at that point.

I got a killer deal on some Goodyear eagle tires at kauffman. They had a $100 instant rebate then a $50 mail in when buying 4 tires. Plus they matched the cost of Sams Club where they were about $75 dollars less. Went with kauffman because they had the tires in stock and met the price I wanted to pay. Darn good tires btw.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with the new Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring Tires just put out by Tire Rack, I like them so far and they were a little more than half the price of the other tires so I was suspicious they were junk, but so far so good. I have 16's so I went with the 225-60's. Granted I have the 3.1 car but they are ok. Everyone here is right, really no good selection for all out performance so I settled for something that didn't cost a fortune. Guess they didn't sell though, they are already on close-out for $76 each which is what I paid for them when they advertised as new earlier this year