convertible carpeting

cutty collector

been looking for some replacement carpeting for my 93 vert .Nobody sells a carpet for these what is the difference between a 2 dr coupe and a convertible carpet can it be made to work and if so where is the best place to buy

I've been wondering about this too. I would think that the coupe carpet would work seeing as how they started off as coupes. Maybe the carpet was changed when they went to get converted, but I doubt it. I don't know for sure though.

Rockauto lists it. They say 2 & 4dr, exc convertible. I can't imagine why a 2dr shell would be any different unless there was additional bracing or something. Perhaps it isn't in the fit but in the material? Mold resistant or more sound deadening?

Just from removing my coupe carpeting I think it has a different shape around the back seating area. The coupe carpet runs underneath the rear seats and sort of goes into the trunk area. The on the vert the carpet shape would have to be different in that area because of the top. Coupe carpeting should be roughly the same shape but you might have to trim up the rear portion of it.

• Like 1

The only difference between the coupe and the convertible interior was the addition of a top. Because of where the top sits the coupe carpet cannot pass through into the trunk. If that squared section was trimmed off under the rear seats to me it would fit the convertible. Ive got a coupe and Vert and both could use some new carpet so I`ll probably be doing the same job soon.

Seat belt holes are in the same place, same brass clips holding the carpet around rocker panel area, center consoles are interchangeable between older style trim and the 1995 re design, and several members have swapped from a rear bench seat to the dual bucket setup and Ive never read a fitment issue. My scientific wild ass guess is yes a coupe carpet can be trimmed to fit a convertible. Good luck getting the seats out, you really want to triple check the star bit socket is indeed the correct size for the seats mounting bolts, other than that its remotely easy by yourself.

Edited by rich_e777

• 4 months later...

I had bought front floor mats custom fit for my 94 and the passenger side mat didn’t fit right after a little back and forth they sent a new set that was a fit

They said that the pattern used was for a coupe, something about the convertible passenger side floor pan is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

So i contacted ACC about carpeting for W-body convertibles and actually got a phone call instead of an email. Aside from the rear seat being different like I mentioned above there is also a difference about the rocker panels between the two models. They didnt have the specifics about why they were different but I`m inclined to find out this weekend.

I did some measuring and swapped floor mats from the vert to coupe and vice versa and everything looks the same. I cannot tell there is a different in the rocker panel of floor board area. I`m tempted to just buy a coupe carpet and see how it fits in the Vert. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used a coupe carpet for my convertible.  Just overlay the coupe carpet with your convertible carpet and use the convertible one on top to guide you for cutting out the holes for the center console.  

• 10 months later...

I just cam across this string after post a similar question. The string is a couple years old but has it ever been decided if the coupe carpet will indeed work in a convertible? How much trouble is it to make one work? 

• 4 months later...

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know. My convertible's carpet is faded and has a hole on the driver's side.

For what it's worth, I don't think there's any appreciable difference in the front floorboards of the coupe and convertible. My '95 vert didn't have any floor mats in it when I got it but I had the front mats from my '91 coupe sitting in my barn. I cleaned them up and they're a perfect fit. The funny thing is the carpet in my '91 coupe was a medium gray and the interior of my convertible is graphite but the carpet in the front floorboard of the convertible is faded to the point that it is a near perfect match for the lighter floor mats. The rear floor mats I have in it are from the '95 Aurora I used to have. It also had a graphite interior and the carpet in the rear of the vert is just enough less faded than in the front so they're a reasonably good match back there. 

I got involved up under the car a bit more than expected and this sort of got pushed to the side. I have seen some differences in floor mat options between the coupe and Vert showing the rocker panel area to center "hump" maybe different so the formed bends in the carpet maybe somewhat off. I will still try it out, just taking a bit longer to get to interior stuff when its on jackstands.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I don’t get on this site as much as I maybe should (so I’m just now replying) but I’m still very anxious to hear what you find out. 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Ric said:

Has anyone figured out how much trouble it is to make coupe carpeting work in a '93 convertible yet?

Based on what Crazy K said the carpet is not interchangeable to a convertible. The two cars are different, and I'm not sure if it can be done and still look good. 

• 2 years later...

Its only been 2 years, i should probably get on this. I got side tracked with other stuff, I need a decent dry weekend to pull both carpets and get some measurements. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks [94 olds vert], I did see that listing but I'm a little apprehensive to give it a shot without more input or research.

I'm also going to check some bone yards to see if I could get luck with second-hand convertible carpet. Maybe I can find something that when shampooed is better than what I have now.

• 9 months later...