92 3.1 to 93 3.1 quick question about wiring

NCTyphoonKid

I just swapped everything from my 93 lumina euro parts car to my 92 lumina euro, the problem I'm having is that my tach isn't working, voltage gauge isn't working and after you start it up and turn it off the high beam indicator and turn signal indicator stays on along with the anti lock light. Can anyone provide some insight as to what I can do to remedy this, I hooked up my grounds how they were originally

Yeah, there's a tremendous difference between everything and just the engine harness. GM changes things every year or 2 in the name of progress or to accommodate new features / systems.

Here's the kicker: you take a harness out of a vehicle that's the same year/make/model and put it in and it still may be wrong or pinned improperly due to options or 1/2 model year changes.

Always look visually at plugs when you are bringing plugs together for the first time and at a minimum make sure it has matching wire colors and wire sizes on either side of the plug.

You may be able to move some pins around on one harness or another if the systems are the same.

Darn everything appeared to be the same, i used everything off the donor car, if I have to swap the dash harness it's not that big of a deal since I have all of that. I will double check the old harness and new harness and see what I can figure out.

How many plugs are there between the engine harness and body harness? Just the big bulkhead connector? I mean literally where the 2 harnesses plug together

Edited by Imp558

Okay, Just the C100 bulkhead connector. I'm on my way out but tonight I can write up some stuff for you to re-pin it. If you swap body harnesses other things may be pinned improperly and you could end up in the same boat. I'll go through all the schematics tonight and get something up for you

Okay, Just the C100 bulkhead connector. I'm on my way out but tonight I can write up some stuff for you to re-pin it. If you swap body harnesses other things may be pinned improperly and you could end up in the same boat. I'll go through all the schematics tonight and get something up for you

Ok sounds good I really appreciate you doing that

Looks to be 4 missing grounds, if you group them them together and solder a ring or 2 onto them and ground them good you should be okay. Theoretically you could strip pigtails of wire out of the 1992 harness and insert the wires into C100 and ground them under the hood again if you chose.

B2, C1, K3, and L2 all need a good ground and then everything should come to life.

1992 C100 pinout:

post-3252-0-65305500-1504540902_thumb.png

post-3252-0-77131500-1504540908_thumb.png

1993 C100 pinout:

post-3252-0-35721000-1504541157_thumb.png

post-3252-0-75663700-1504541162_thumb.png

I just got done adding the grounds in, have not driven it since adding them but did start it up and everything seems to be functioning now. I will update after driving to see if any new hiccups emerge hopefully not. I really appreciate you taking the time to get that info for me on the c100 connections.

L2 should be REALLY well grounded, that one is going to move some current.

All of them should be well grounded i believe, I made there own spot on the body for them that way there easily accessible if I have to drop the cradle again. So far everything seems to be going well, I've driven it on the highway and around town this afternoon. I changed the oil, changed trans fluid and filter and changed coolant to get everything up to par since I'm not sure the last time it was serviced.

Anything else I should take off this 93 before I call the scrap guy. I'm keeping the wheels, taillights, emblems, trunk lid and spoiler. Anything else I should grab off of it for spares

Misc dash and switches. if you can pull the steering wheel the turn signal switch, cruise control stalk, it never hurts to have that peace up front with the vents in case you want to cut one apart and put HUD in