DIC for my International.

jiggity76

I am not seeing the DIS connector. I have never come across a 1991 that was not prewired before. I have opened up a good amount of 1991s to look for wiring. Instaling a DIS is not that hard.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Oldsmobile Driver Information System:

*not responsible for errors during installation such as damaged DICs, car fires, house fires, total city fire, end of universe due to division by zero through the following of the info provided*

The Driver Information System is used on several Oldsmobile model lines. This includes A, G, H, L, N, and W-bodies of the 88-91 era.

All units are physically identical, but have some internal programming differences.

Wiring colors can vary greatly, so verify all wires by placement. This unit has a pigtail on the rear, and colors on the pigtail differ from colors within the vehicle wiring harness.

DIS C1=blue 8 cavity connector

connector pin# color(unit) color(vehicle) function

DIS-C1-A RED ORN constant hot, memory (+)

DIS-C1-B PNK/BLK PNK/BLK switched ignition feed, hot in run (+)

DIS-C1-C BRN BRN or GRN or YEL VF dimming input (+)

DIS-C1-D GRY GRY Illumination (adjustable backlighting)

DIS-C1-E BLK/WHT BLK/WHT ground (-)

DIS-C1-F* BLK/GRY not present ---

DIS-C1-G$ YEL not present or BLU E/M input

DIS-C1-H BLK BLK/wht(or BLK) ground

DIS C2=black 4 cavity connector

DIS-C2-A ORN ORN SERIAL DATA INPUT

DIS-C2-B DK GRN DK GRN VSS/speedometer input

DIS-C2-C PNK PPL fuel level sender input

DIS-C2-D% BLK/GRN not used or BLK ground for e/m circuit(-)

* all vehicles examined omit connection to this wire, even though it is present on the unit pigtail

$ not necessary to be hooked up. most vehicles examined omit this wire.

% only hooked up on vehicles if equipped with an E/M input

and what they do:

DIS-C1-A Constant hot source, it is power for the DIS memory. Digital clusters would have this wire, but if your car does not have a digital cluster, the radio will have a constant hot wire for it's memory that would be a good power source.

DIS-C1-B Switched ignition feed, hot in run. it powers up the unit when you start the car. You can tie this to the cluster or radio. both have a hot in run wire.

DIS-C1-C Vacuum fluorescent dimming input. It controls the digital display intensity. you can tie this to a VF wire.

DIS-C1-D Button Illumination (adjustable backlighting)". You can hook these to the backlighting for the cluster or radio.

DIS-C1-E Ground.

DIS-C1-F Not used and not defined

DIS-C1-G English/Metric input, externally set by cluster or switch to set DIC unit mode, if wired.

DIS-C1-H Ground.

DIS-C2-A SERIAL DATA INPUT, which the DIC gets info from the ecm/pcm for calculations and display.

DIS-C2-B VSS signal input. this can be hooked to the cluster feed for the speedometer.

DIS-C2-C Fuel level gage input. this can be hooked to the cluster feed for the fuel gauge.

DIS-C2-D Ground, connected only if E/M input is present(without regard to mode)

1992 analog UB3 CS cluster

connector Pin# Wire color function

aUB3-C1 TAN/WHT brake indicator

aUB3-C2 WHT tachometer input

aUB3-C3 GRY illumination (adjustable backlighting) (+)

aUB3-C4 PPL fuel level sender input

aUB3-C5 DK GRN VSS speedometer input

aUB3-C6 YEL not used, VF display dim enable (+ to enable dimming)

aUB3-C7 BRN/WHT not used, VF dimmer input

aUB3-C8 ORN not used, ELEC FUSE circuit, constant hot, memory (+)

aUB3-C9 --- not used

aUB3-C10 BLK ground

aUB3-C11 --- not used

aUB3-C12 --- not used

aUB3-C13 PNK/BLK CLUSTER FUSE circuit, Hot in run (+)

aUB3-C14 --- not used

aUB3-C15 PNK/BLK INDICATOR FUSE circuit, hot in run, bulb test, and start (+)

aUB3-C16 DK GRN coolant temperature sensor input

connector Pin# Wire color function

aUB3-D1 --- not used

aUB3-D2 BRN Check Gauges output to HUD unit

aUB3-D3 TAN/BLK shift indicator (if equipped)

aUB3-D4 LT BLU left turn indicator (+)

aUB3-D5 LT GRN high beam indicator (+)

aUB3-D6 DK BLU right turn indicator (+)

aUB3-D7 BLK ground

aUB3-D8 YEL fasten seatbelt indicator

aUB3-D9 --- not used

aUB3-D10 --- not used

aUB3-D11 TAN oil pressure input

aUB3-D12 --- not used

aUB3-D13 LTGRN/BLK "Antilock" indicator

aUB3-D14 YEL/BLK "low coolant" level indicator

aUB3-D15 BRN charge indicator feed (sets check gauges indicator)

aUB3-D16 BRN/WHT "Service Engine Soon indicator

different pinouts existbetween 92-93 and 94 analog cluster, you cannot substitute a 92-93 cluster for a 94 without loosing these critical indicators.

Wire decoding, CS DIS to 92 CS analog cluster.

DIS connector C1=blue 8 cavity connector

DIS-C1-A RED ORN constant hot, memory (+)

aUB3-C8 ORN not used, ELEC FUSE circuit, constant hot, memory (+)

or

Radio-C1-10 ORN constant hot, memory (+)

DIS-C1-B PNK/BLK PNK/BLK switched ignition feed, hot in run (+)

aUB3-C13 PNK/BLK CLUSTER FUSE circuit, Hot in run (+)

DIS-C1-C BRN BRN or GRN or YEL VF dimming input (+)

aUB3-C7 BRN/WHT not used, VF dimmer input

or

Radio-C1-7 BRN/WHT VF dimming input (+)

DIS-C1-D GRY GRY Illumination (adjustable??? backlighting)

aUB3-C3 GRY illumination (adjustable backlighting) (+)

DIS-C1-E BLK/WHT BLK/WHT ground (-)

ground to chassis or other ground

DIS-C1-F* BLK/GRY not present ---

*not used, do not connect

DIS-C1-G YEL not present or BLU E/M input

HUD LT BLU E/M wire

DIS-C1-H BLK BLK/wht(or BLK) ground

DIS connector C2=black 4 cavity connector

DIS-C2-A ORN ORN SERIAL DATA INPUT

aldl ORN ALDL data wire

DIS-C2-B DK GRN DK GRN VSS/speedometer input

aUB3-C5 DK GRN VSS speedometer input

DIS-C2-C PNK PPL fuel level sender input

aUB3-C4 PPL fuel level sender input

DIS-C2-D BLK/GRN not used(except if e/m equipped)BLK ground (-)

Edited by 94 olds vert

Oh wow, that's intimidating.  I'm going to open up the dash on the 89 car and look around.  I have the pigtails on the 89 car just need to figure out where to connect into the 91 car.

I'm not sure what to do with the information given to me.  Am I suppose to match up colors of wires together?  I've never done electrical work in a home or car.  I printed off the thread posted by rockfangd but again, don't know what to do with the info.  I just got to play around with it tomorrow and maybe I'll figure it out.

Take as much wiring out of the 1989 for the DIS to transfer into the 91.

Alright.  Thank you.  I'm probably making it harder than everyone says it is but I'm learning.  Thanks for everyone's  patience.

how soon are you doing this install?

I got the 91's dash tore apart right now.  I'm going to work on the 89 car tomorrow.  I don't have a timeframe, just starting the project and doing a little at a time.  I work a unusual schedule - 12 hour shifts so whenever I have time.  Also trying to get my 87 GMC 4x4 project done first right now.

give me a couple days I'm crazy busy right now. I will chart it up for you. you can't just start matching up wire colors because they use the same wire color for multiple things, for instance the wire that goes to a fuel pump relay from a computer looks exactly like the one that goes up for the vehicle speed signal to the instrument cluster.

give me a couple days I'm crazy busy right now. I will chart it up for you. you can't just start matching up wire colors because they use the same wire color for multiple things, for instance the wire that goes to a fuel pump relay from a computer looks exactly like the one that goes up for the vehicle speed signal to the instrument cluster.

I greatly appreciate that, thank you so much.  I can work on other things in the meantime, absolutely no rush.  I don't want to mess anything up on such a rare option piece.

Worked on the 89 wiring harness.  Got the upper dash out and it seems I have to pull the lower dash out too?  The wiring harness is taped to the vent tube and a electrical conduit system.  If I do have to pull the lower dash, anyone know where all the bolt locations are?

UgAy1w.jpg

Lower section of wires is the cigarette bulb, HUD backlighting, and most importantly the DIS pigtails.  Big one on the left is the digital dash pigtail.  The ones on top is the stereo.

VstuoL.jpg

There's one last wire location before this end is free, the power trunk release button on the lower panel under the steering wheel.

Ng14ck.jpg

This is behind the glove box, really worried about having to mess with this.  Please tell me I don't.  The wiring harness is to the left of the glove box and is taped to the air ducts and a wiring conduit - that is where it's holding me up.

For the DIS, you only need to connect a few wires to get it to work. A power wire from the cigarette lighter that will power the DIS. A ground to ground the DIS. Then tap into the fuel, and tach. maybe speed VSS?

If you search for the digi ub3 swap you find the color of those wires.

For the DIS, you only need to connect a few wires to get it to work. A power wire from the cigarette lighter that will power the DIS. A ground to ground the DIS. Then tap into the fuel, and tach. maybe speed VSS?

If you search for the digi ub3 swap you find the color of those wires.

Imp558 is going to help me out thankfully.  How do you identify which wire goes to what component?  I'm going to stop until I hear back on the diagram. 

K.I went to the Internet wayback machine for this: 1988-1991 UB3 cluster pinouts.GAUGES Cluster (UB3)

Terminals C1-C16

Terminal-Wire Color Function C1 (PNK/BLK 39) Ignition power to Cluster. Battery voltage in RUN, BULB TEST or START. See schematic 8A-11. C2 (LT BLU 14) To Left Turn Indicator. Flashing battery voltage with Left turn signal. 0 volts with signal off. See Schematic Section 8A-110. C3 (DK BLU 15) To Right Turn Indicator. Flashing battery voltage with Right turn signal. 0 volts with signal off. See Schematic Section 8A-110. C4 (TAN/WHT 33) To BRAKE Indicator. Indicator is grounded when Park Brake is on or Brake Fluid Level is low. Infinite ohms with Park Brake off and system OK. See Schematic Section 8A-41. C5 (GRY/WHT 852) To ANTI-LOCK Brake Indicator. See Section 8A-44. C6 (TAN/BLK 456) To Shift Indicator. ECM provides a ground when car is to be shifted. See Section 6E of the Service Manual. C7 (LT GRN 11) Hi Beam Indicator. Battery voltage when Hi Beams are on. 0 volts with Hi Beams off. See Schematic Section 8A-100. C8 NOT USED C9 NOT USED C10 (YEL 726) Display Dim Enable. Battery voltage when Park Lights are on. 0 volts with Park Lights off. See Schematic Section 8A-114. C11 (GRY 8) To Cluster Illumination bulbs. Variable voltage with Head or Park lights on and Dimmer Control adjusted. C12 NOT USED C13 (ORN 461) Bi-directional Serial Data Link between Cluster & ECM. <~~I think this is the wire that needs to be added, from the ALDL orange wire, someone should correct me here though if I am wrong.C14 (BLK/WHT 151) Ground to G101. See 8A-14. C15 NOT USED C16 (PNK/BLK 750) Ignition power to Cluster. Battery voltage in RUN. See 8A-11.

Terminals D1-D16

Terminal-Wire Color Function D1 (BLK 150) Ground. See Section 8A-14. D2 (YEL 237) Safety Belt input from Component Center. Battery voltage for 5 to 10 seconds after Ignition is put in RUN. D3 (YEL/BLK 68) LOW COOLANT Indicator input. See Test L, M D4 (BRN 25) CHARGE Indicator input. See Schematic Section 8A-30. D5 (BRN/WHT 419) SERVICE ENG. SOON input from ECM. See Section 6E of Service Manual. D6 NOT USED D7 NOT USED D8 NOT USED D9 (LT BLU 811) English/metric switch output. See test N.D10 (BRN/WHT 230) VF Dimmer input. Variable voltage with lights on and dimmer adjusted. See 8A-114. D11 (TAN 31) Oil Pressure input. Sender resistance varies from 15 ohms, low pressure, to 91 ohms, high pressure. Tests E, F, G. D12 (DK GRN/WHT 35) Coolant Temperature input. Send resistance varies from 60 ohms, hot, to 1500 ohms, cold. Tests H, I, J. D13 (PPL 30) Fuel Level input. Sensor resistance varies from 18 ohms, empty, to 88 ohms, full. Tests B, C, D. D14 NOT USED D15 (DK GRN 389) Vehicle Speed input from ECM. See Schematic Section 8A-33. D16 (ORN 640) Battery power (memory) to Cluster. Battery voltage at all times. See Section 8A-11.Let me go get my 94 FSM and I'll have you the 1994 pinouts.

K.I went to the Internet wayback machine for this: 1988-1991 UB3 cluster pinouts.GAUGES Cluster (UB3)

Terminals C1-C16

Terminal-Wire Color Function C1 (PNK/BLK 39) Ignition power to Cluster. Battery voltage in RUN, BULB TEST or START. See schematic 8A-11. C2 (LT BLU 14) To Left Turn Indicator. Flashing battery voltage with Left turn signal. 0 volts with signal off. See Schematic Section 8A-110. C3 (DK BLU 15) To Right Turn Indicator. Flashing battery voltage with Right turn signal. 0 volts with signal off. See Schematic Section 8A-110. C4 (TAN/WHT 33) To BRAKE Indicator. Indicator is grounded when Park Brake is on or Brake Fluid Level is low. Infinite ohms with Park Brake off and system OK. See Schematic Section 8A-41. C5 (GRY/WHT 852) To ANTI-LOCK Brake Indicator. See Section 8A-44. C6 (TAN/BLK 456) To Shift Indicator. ECM provides a ground when car is to be shifted. See Section 6E of the Service Manual. C7 (LT GRN 11) Hi Beam Indicator. Battery voltage when Hi Beams are on. 0 volts with Hi Beams off. See Schematic Section 8A-100. C8 NOT USED C9 NOT USED C10 (YEL 726) Display Dim Enable. Battery voltage when Park Lights are on. 0 volts with Park Lights off. See Schematic Section 8A-114. C11 (GRY 8) To Cluster Illumination bulbs. Variable voltage with Head or Park lights on and Dimmer Control adjusted. C12 NOT USED C13 (ORN 461) Bi-directional Serial Data Link between Cluster & ECM. <~~I think this is the wire that needs to be added, from the ALDL orange wire, someone should correct me here though if I am wrong.C14 (BLK/WHT 151) Ground to G101. See 8A-14. C15 NOT USED C16 (PNK/BLK 750) Ignition power to Cluster. Battery voltage in RUN. See 8A-11.

Terminals D1-D16

Terminal-Wire Color Function D1 (BLK 150) Ground. See Section 8A-14. D2 (YEL 237) Safety Belt input from Component Center. Battery voltage for 5 to 10 seconds after Ignition is put in RUN. D3 (YEL/BLK 68) LOW COOLANT Indicator input. See Test L, M D4 (BRN 25) CHARGE Indicator input. See Schematic Section 8A-30. D5 (BRN/WHT 419) SERVICE ENG. SOON input from ECM. See Section 6E of Service Manual. D6 NOT USED D7 NOT USED D8 NOT USED D9 (LT BLU 811) English/metric switch output. See test N.D10 (BRN/WHT 230) VF Dimmer input. Variable voltage with lights on and dimmer adjusted. See 8A-114. D11 (TAN 31) Oil Pressure input. Sender resistance varies from 15 ohms, low pressure, to 91 ohms, high pressure. Tests E, F, G. D12 (DK GRN/WHT 35) Coolant Temperature input. Send resistance varies from 60 ohms, hot, to 1500 ohms, cold. Tests H, I, J. D13 (PPL 30) Fuel Level input. Sensor resistance varies from 18 ohms, empty, to 88 ohms, full. Tests B, C, D. D14 NOT USED D15 (DK GRN 389) Vehicle Speed input from ECM. See Schematic Section 8A-33. D16 (ORN 640) Battery power (memory) to Cluster. Battery voltage at all times. See Section 8A-11.Let me go get my 94 FSM and I'll have you the 1994 pinouts.

Thank you!  This will help a lot.  Should I follow the wires from the pigtails back or just cut them and splice them in where I can.

Those things are bad news in the long run. Solder is the best method but honestly its better to twist and tape than use something that severs strands and then leaves the copper exposed to oxygen.

Would the twist kind like on the radio and then tape work, sealing it and preventing oxidation?

Did you find a replacement regal?  I can't remember if you wanted a coupe or four door again.  There's a nice 91 Buick Regal GS coupe on CL if that's what your looking for.

Okay, you should be able to cut and paste the following into a text editor and print it.

First, every pin on every plug has a designation, for instance on the 89 DIC the plugs are formally known as "C1" and "C2". The pins on those plugs are lettered so you should see little letters embossed in it that correspond to the chart below.

The plug on the Instrument cluster should have numbers embossed in it or at least 1 number at the beginning and end of each row.

Second, I don't have a picture in Alldata for any of these plugs but I suspect the Instrument cluster is a 2 row plug with 16 pins per row, each row is a letter "C" or "D". If there are no letters or numbers just count through the pins and figure them out with the chart. There should be an "A"/"B" plug too.

Third, You don't need to CUT any of the wires to the Instrument cluster, all you need to do is bare a little spot and wrap the wire from the DIS around it and tape it up well - done. Naturally solder would be better but that will work fine.

Fourth, There are 3 grounds on the DIS, if it were me I would twist them together and solder or crimp a ring terminal on them and stick them on a bolt. I reflected the grounds on the Instrument Cluster if you want to tie into them.

If something doesn't line up with this chart take pics of the plugs and post them and I'll figure it out, some times things change mid model year and we have to extrapolate from a different year.....

1989 DIS:

Plug C1:

Pin Wire color Title

A) Orange Battery constant Power

B) Pink/Black Ignition switched power

C) Yellow Dimming/lighting

D) Gray Dimming/Lighting

E) Black/White Ground

F) EMPTY

G) Light Blue English/Metric Switch

H) Black Ground

Plug C2:

Pin Wire color Title

A) Orange Serial Data Uart

B) Green Vehicle Speed

C) Violet Fuel Level

D) Black Ground

1991Instrument cluster:

* This should be a plug with 2 rows of 16 pins, one side is “Câ€, the other is “D†Since only a few pins are used for the DIS I am only showing the ones that you need for the install….

Plug side C:

Pin Wire color Title

10) Yellow Dimming/Lighting

11) Gray Dimming/Lighting

13) Orange Serial Data Uart

14) Black Ground

16) Pink/Black Ignition switched power

Plug side D:

Pin Wire color Title
1) Black Ground

9) Light Blue English/Metric Switch

13) Violet Fuel Level