225-60-16 Tires for 1996 Supreme

bluecalais79

I recently went for a set of 225-60-16 (radial) tires as recommended by Tire Rack for my 2 door 3.1 1996 Supreme with 16 inch wheels. After the purchase I checked the manual the manual which listed 215's as the recommended size. I don't think this makes all that much difference, would anyone disagree? There's no wheel-well rub but I do note they are barely contained within the wheel well itself. Mud Flaps are planned to be installed.

Does anyone think this might be too much tire for this car?

Thanks

I'm not sure why the manual recommends that. 225/60/R16 was the defacto tire size for GM's midsize and full size FWD cars in the 90's and 2000's. That's what I had on my Cutlass when I bought it and it fit fine. No rubbing or other issues. 

Agreed, I've got the 5 spoke version and I agree these are just fine. I also believe these 5 spoke wheels were among the nicest looking wheels GM ever offered in any GM division at any time. Really glad Olds got them.

My car was 205/70/15, I run a 225/60/16 on 1991GTP X-Laces. At full turn they rub the fender liner in the front so I just don't do it.

Edited by Imp558

Makes total sense, thanks. I just got the new style Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring that just came out (?), they seem to be ok so far. Mine is the FE-1 ride with the 5 spoke wheels.