46 replies to this topic

#41 jiggity76

jiggity76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

A GTP is worth saving if you have the ability. It's tough though because there are a lot of super clean southern ones that get scrapped every year because people down south have no respect for a rust free car.

If you love the car and can weld, hell yes, save it. If you just want a clean GTP there are other cars that can be had cost effectively to give you a rust free core.

Bottom line is there is no black and white time to scrap a car, it's a decision based on cost effectiveness -vs- emotional attachment and it's different for every car and every owner.

Well said.

• Imp558 likes this

#42 Nas Escobar

Nas Escobar

#1 Stunna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • LocationDistrict of Columbia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:20 AM

I 2nd that. I own a Z34 that was hit. It had frame damage but it being a Z34 (they're harder to find than normal Lumina coupes) I decided to have the frame pulled instead. Long story short it still needs some body work done but I'm in the process of saving it.

2003 Pontiac Grand Am (01/12 - 08/13)

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

2002 Chevrolet Camaro (09/13 - 07/16)

1996 Infiniti G20

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34

1989 Buick Regal Limited (06/16 - 01/17)

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier RS

2009 Pontiac G6

#43 TpottsThe1

TpottsThe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:39 AM

A GTP is worth saving if you have the ability. It's tough though because there are a lot of super clean southern ones that get scrapped every year because people down south have no respect for a rust free car. If you love the car and can weld, hell yes, save it. If you just want a clean GTP there are other cars that can be had cost effectively to give you a rust free core.   Bottom line is there is no black and white time to scrap a car, it's a decision based on cost effectiveness -vs- emotional attachment and it's different for every car and every owner.

For me I love the 5th Gen regardless having a gtp one is just soooo nice. But there is another one about an hour from me I could prolly pick up for 1200 to 1500 been in the owners family for 20 yrs garage kept for the last ten. Problem is I don't have that kind of cash the guy says the underneath is spotless has some dents here and there but otherwise the whole car is clean.
  • Imp558 likes this

#44 TpottsThe1

TpottsThe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Been doing some work today still alot to do but I'm getting there gunna fix the biggest problems so it's safe to drive for now until I either buy another one that's clean or get a beater dd then disassemble the underneath of this car and another se coupe and cut and paste lol. What do u guys think I have more pictures but my phones memory is 2 low to upload them for some reason. I cut a good bit out and I also got my trailing are and mount bent back into place.

Attached Files

• 94 olds vert likes this

#45 TpottsThe1

TpottsThe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

Here is a few morw. I'm doing this lol so if anyone else is having some problems with this I can help and I will let u know how I do it and will upload more pictures as I progress.

Attached Files

#46 W30olds

W30olds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationBraselton, GA

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

You always have a car payment. Wether it's money outright on a newer car or repairs on an older car. I'd love to see pictures of it, that's a survivor.

What sucks harder is having car notes and paying for repairs unless under warranty. Double penetration right there. I'm cheap
1995 GP SE, 2006 GTO

#47 Imp558

Imp558

Proud TransCelestialsexual

• Contributing Member
  • 3,326 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted Today, 12:22 AM

Been doing some work today still alot to do but I'm getting there gunna fix the biggest problems so it's safe to drive for now until I either buy another one that's clean or get a beater dd then disassemble the underneath of this car and another se coupe and cut and paste lol. What do u guys think I have more pictures but my phones memory is 2 low to upload them for some reason. I cut a good bit out and I also got my trailing are and mount bent back into place.

A few of us have welded second gen trailing arm mounts on instead of the first gen ones
  • Nas Escobar likes this

Banner.jpg

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped

1980 Dodge Sno-Commander

1984 Dodge Prospector

1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users