Steps to take before starting LQ1 Cutlass/sat for many years.

jiggity76

I want to start diagnosing the Cutlass and don't want to damage anything.  What steps or tips do you guys have before I attempt to start her up?  I plan on changing all the fluids first, syphon the gas out of the tank and put in fresh gas.  Should I worry about changing the timing belt first or just leave it be for now.  The car did turn over when I picked it up from the original owner so I assume the belt isn't bad or it wouldn't crank at all.  Should I worry about the brake system yet?  What about cylinder wall lubrication/oil pump?

Pull the plugs, pour about a teaspoon of a lubricant (I use Marvel Mystery Oil) down each cylinder, wait an hour or so, then gently try turning the engine by hand using a wrench on the crank snout. If you run into resistance, stop, turn backwards, and apply a little more oil before trying to go forward again. Once free all the way around, turn the engine a few revolutions by hand before trying the starter. The idea is to make sure the rings aren't stuck to the cylinder walls--if they are, and you try cranking with the starter, you'll likely severely score the cylinder bore if you're lucky, break piston rings if you're not.

I'm sure that this isn't the only method, but it has the virtue of never having failed to work for me.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

In addition to all of what Galaxie said, pull the timing belt cover(s) and inspect the belt.

also pull the fuel rail cover and make sure mice haven't made a home in there, also the valley under the lower intake.

make sure things like the alternator, ac compressor, waterpump etc aren't seized up

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I will try all those things and I'll ask if I have any concerns.  If the belt is cracked, I will either replace it myself or have it done.  The car is leaking oil and from reading posts on this site, it's probably the O ring gasket.  I might just have everything replaced and diagnosed if I get too worried about diving into it myself.  I'm going to tackle each item at a time and make sure everything is ready before cranking it over.  I'll do all the preventative stuff and then check fuel, air, and fire.  My main concern like I said is not to damage anything or make it worse while trying to get her running.  I like to save money but also will spend the money to do things right.