!! STOP USING PHOTOBUCKET !!

digitaloutsider

So, recently, Photobucket has been migrating free user accounts over to a new tier which does not include image hotlinking. Hotlinking allows you to host an image on Photobucket, and then have the ability to embed it anywhere on the Internet, such as our forum for example. In order to have hotlinking enabled, Photobucket kindly requests that you pay them $400 for the elite privilege of that. Photobucket can fuck right off. People with free accounts will have all hotlinked images now show up as a "P500" error, saying that you don't have that feature.

It appears this is a rolling change and has not affected all accounts yet.

This is TERRIBLE for so many forums across the Internet. Until the last couple of years, we did not have any way of hosting images locally. MANY old posts on our forum utilize pictures that are hosted on Photobucket. Those posts, including FAQs, write-ups, and tutorials, are now effectively lost or incomplete. If you have any FAQs or other important threads on this board, I urge you to please re-upload all of the PB-hosted images, either to the forum or a service like Imgur.

"VIP" users, or anyone who has contributed a great deal of content or time to this board, can contact me and I can set you up with storage on my own server if you'd like. For now, Imgur is probably one of the better solutions for us as they don't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. They're effectively the image hosting backbone for Reddit.

If you have any issues using the file attachment feature when posting, please let me know so I can look into it.

Ugh, I have years worth of pictures hosted there, because it's always been free and reliable, albeit not having that great of a website since they revamped it a few years ago, but I've circumvented that by using the app since I use my phone mostly anyway. That being said, the thought of having to download/move/save/backup 10+ years of pictures is a daunting task, not to mention the sheer annoyance that it's going to cause, not only for me but lots of other people here and elsewhere online. I remember being so annoyed at a lot of the 60degree links/threads being dead when getting into the LQ1, having such a promising answer and not having any idea what's actually going on because there's no pictures. I might try and update some old threads (I have some threads I'd like to keep intact, like my cutlass), but that most likely won't happen, I've got more important things to waste my time on. /rant

• Like 1

Perhaps if members were to volunteer to peruse the old faqs and stickies looking for photobucket images and save/repost them in the thread? If we knew how many would help we could take sections.

Fucking WOW. They managed to destroy 90% of the information on 90's cars. Damn. I'm gonna have to remake my build thread.

• Like 3

The ugly thing here are older articles written by people no longer active on the forum...it's going to be all but impossible to repair the damage.

• Like 5

I used Photobucket when I first found this forum but haven't since.  The site takes forever now to load my pics and it's just a hassle.  Someone at work told me about Imagur but haven't looked into it.  Someone on this forum said I can just bypass Photobucket and go from my phone directly to the forum.  Haven't played around with it yet but I want to post some new pics here soon.

It's fair to *ass*u*me* that any photos still in the old website will be lost as well?  everything I have *linked* to is by Photobucket.

I haven't found a way to move those over here to the new site,

see this link to what IS sitting there currently, it's just a fraction of what I did originally have shown,

http://www.w-body.com/gallery/image/109-classics-on-kent/

when Luke did the major website upgrade in 2015 all of my old photos in the *then* old site were permanently lost. That would have been approx 50 photos.

So what has everyone decided on how to post pics, NOT using Photobucket?  I found a 91 Cutlass vert by my mom's house over the 4th and would love to share it with you guys.  The guy wasn't home but he also had a 94 DOHC vert in his garage that was covered but couldn't get any real good shots of it.  Friend of my mom says he knows the guy and the 94 is black with white top, didn't know about HUD or interior color.  The 91 is black, black top and dark grey leather interior.  No HUD and I assume has the 3.1 motor.

I'd just upload them here and host them here. If anything I guess we could chip some more money to host our pics here.

I'll play around with it this weekend and see if I can just upload from my phone or computer or something, thanks.

If you use your phone, you'll have to use the full site.

How do you "host" them? I've heard of Imgur too.

Upload them here. At the bottom of the mobile site press "full site" and when you reply or make a new thread, press the paper clip and that will allow you to attach pictures to the post.

Host is just a fancy word for the place of upload.

I might have some other stuff too.

Let's just get it out of the way and say nobody wants penis pictures before it becomes a problem.

• Like 1

Oh wow!, no, no.  Car related stuff!  I also don't want that.

Let's just get it out of the way and say nobody wants penis pictures before it becomes a problem.

Well, it's happened to me. I can kinda understand no new links, but this sucks. I have 10+years of posts that no longer exist... :sad:

Same here 

Ran into it again tonight, this time a thread on Riv Performance.

If you're on a PC, you can right click on the image and copy the image location, then paste it in your browser. That will bring you to the Photobucket page. 9 times out of 10, it will show you the stupid fucking P500 error again. Force refresh the browser (hold shift while hitting refresh) and it should show up.

You can copy all your images this way and save them to upload elsewhere. Motherfucking assholes.

• Like 1