3.4L Engine Idle

Mstg007

I have a 94 3.4L. Today driving into work. I was at a stop light and the idle (while braked) was 1.5 RPM. Usually its under 1 RPM. Then, I went to put it into park and it was revin around 2.5 RPMs. I turned off the engine and then back on and it went back to normal (Under 1 RPM). Any ideas on this? Sensor or something else?

Thanks for any help guys!

Generally one of 3 things

Bad IAC

Broken or leaking brake booster vacuum hose

Cracked intake gasket

But of course, check vacuum lines first.

• Like 2

There's a few possibilities, but mine did this twice in the 7 years I owned it...in both cases, it turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor. The reason it happened twice was the store brand sensor went bad within a few weeks. Bought an OEM sensor from Rockauto, and drove for years after that with no further issues. 

But of course, check vacuum lines first.

Especially the power brake booster hose...they get puny after a few decades---and they're often overlooked.

EDIT:  And the PCV hoses...LQ1's have a pretty pathetic method of attaching the hoses to the PCV valve itself.

Edited by Galaxie500XL
  • Like 1

EDIT:  And the PCV hoses...LQ1's have a pretty pathetic method of attaching the hoses to the PCV valve itself.

Let me tell you of a accidental PCV horror story I had with the Regal back in 2012...