1998 Grand Prix GT rear lug studs

worb4me

I broke 2 getting the wheel off to do a brake job. Moral of the story . . . never ever stand on a ratchet that has an extension attached. I done went and told you. Anyway it didn't look like they would come off (or go on) without removing the hub or what have you. I did this very early in the moRning, didn't study it intently, but it sure looked that way. Fortunately for now the studs I broke weren't adjacent.

You can get replacements in without removing the hub, assuming they're the slightly shorter ones. I tried that but there weren't enough threads for my wheels. Ended up having to get a full length one and remove the hub anyway, but at least that's easy.

• 2 months later...

I put longer studs in my GTP without removing the hubs so idk if the 3rd gen just has less room Matt, but yes you can replace just the studs without removing the hub just hammer the broken ones out and then just put new ones in

I prefer pressing them out with a C clamp...I worry about damaging the bearing internally with a hammer..but that might not really be a valid concern. 

I prefer pressing them out with a C clamp...I worry about damaging the bearing internally with a hammer..but that might not really be a valid concern.

I feel the same. I put my vice on my creeper seat and use that.

Rear ones you can get full size ones in no problem, I just use a lugnut and a few large washers to pull them back into the hub, easy job.

The moral of the story here is, use a torque wrench when you put lugnuts on, it prevents broken studs down the road.

• Like 1

Rear ones you can get full size ones in no problem, I just use a lugnut and a few large washers to pull them back into the hub, easy job.

The moral of the story here is, use a torque wrench when you put lugnuts on, it prevents broken studs down the road.

I did that once on my '64 Special. The threads on the lugs got skewed a bit and they were always a little too snug when removing the lug nuts, like they were dragging and the threads were bucking.