heat blend door actuator

worb4me

1998 GP GT

When I got the car, it a/c seemed to work pretty well. But on the driver's side vents hot air would blow. Someone told me it's the blend mechanism. Well when I put the a/c on now, I get heat out of both sides. It may be the a/c crapped itself. Therefore I don't see the point of spending yet more money unnecessarily, so what I'd like to do is prop the thing open so to speak to see if the air still works. Won't be needing the heat all summer. Is there a way to do this? Helps to ask before you go poking around.

A service manual for your vehicle is Invaluable, when it comes to sorting problems that are body/mechanical/electrical related keep one close by, you'll thank yourself you did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Chevrolet-Grand-Prix-Service-Manual-GMP-99-WC-1-Set-of-3-OEM-DS421-/401318166237?hash=item5d706d3edd:g:Mp4AAOSwBOtY-RAF&vxp=mtr

This set is reasonably priced.

I ran into this same issue with my '95 CSC.  The gears have a tendency to fail, causing the actuator to fail, most often after the battery has been disconnected, and the actuator overextends when initializing.

They are NOT interchangeable between car lines, I found the Oldsmobile used an entirely different actuator.  Turned out in my case that Chevrolet pickups used the same actuator, and I got one from a junkyard for nearly nothing.

You're going to need the P/N of your actuator before you'll be able to do much, but will need an exact match most likely to resolve the problem.  Other actuators may look the same physically, and the plugs may match, but they're not necessarily compatible.

You can check if the AC is working by seeing if the compressor is engaging.  It's possible both blend door actuators on both sides broke in the full hot position, just unlikely.  Turn the AC on and go under the hood and see if the compressor is engaged.

You can pull the actuators off and turn the blend doors by hand if the AC is otherwise still working.

Ok, so I have to just get in there. Kind of knew that.

A compressor can engage and still have leaks or whatnot. I thought.

I have the service manuals for my 1998 GP GT. They don't answer many questions.

OK, you've got the OEM manuals, They don't show you what you're looking for?

If you go into the the electrical section *8*, look for the section on the Air conditioning, in the HVAC controls you should find the page for the diagnosis/schematic on the air delivery & temp controls, in the diagrams you'll see the solenoid box & the control panel.

In there you should see the vacuum port routing as well as the wiring & a drawn view of the airbox outlining the dampener doors. The GM manuals cover these really well.

On my  E bodies the Hot/Cold blend door is driven by an electroservo motor & mechanical linkage that is not very strong and has been known to stick is not moved in a while. Not sure about W-bodies but on a E the rod is behind the glove box.

Edited by Padgett