#21 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

I found this on eBay...https://www.ebay.com...8.c100290.m3507(Sorry about the huge link, my work PC wont give me all access)I measured the dash space vs the radio size and its really close. Radio 3.7x8.0/ dash 3.5x 7.75. I'm going to check with my guy at Audio Express and see if this is compatible. I don't know why not.

2002 Grand Prix GT 

"All we know is...its NOT The Stig, but the Stig's fat American Cousin!"

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#22 Nas Escobar

Nas Escobar

#1 Stunna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationDistrict of Columbia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

I would like to put that in my Camaro.

2003 Pontiac Grand Am (01/12 - 08/13)

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

2002 Chevrolet Camaro (09/13 - 07/16)

1996 Infiniti G20

1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34

1989 Buick Regal Limited (06/16 - 01/17)

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier RS

2009 Pontiac G6

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

#23 wstefan20

wstefan20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRaytown, MO

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:07 AM

That looks awesome! Only thing I couldn't live without though is the head up display not displaying radio stations. Course, I might not use this as much with a better radio... lol

#24 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

I think I'll swing by the salvage yard and grab another dash panel that I can work on the hole (In case I screw it up) This is the best looking possibility I've run across. The radio also has a 60 day return window so if I cant make the dash panel work I'm not over the barrel for the money.
  • wstefan20 likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#25 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

A few minutes with a pro always brings a wealth of information...

I stopped by Audio Express today and was enlightened by the manager/head installer. I trust these guys to the bone because they have done 3 installs on 3 different cars I've owned and each time the result has been amazing.

I showed him the eBay unit I posted previously and he immediately replied "Thats not gonna fit." I asked him why and he immediately segwayed to "What are we trying to do?" As soon as I mentioned my discontent about finding an appealing single-din unit for the car, he replied frankly that it could easily be done if I was willing to make some sacrifices. Such as?

He says there are more than a few double-din units on the market with 6.1 screens...this gets closest to the dash hole size. The dash face is not as big a problem as mounting the unit in the dash frame itself, which in turn dictates the face position.

If you are willing to ditch CD/DVD drives and go with digital media, the overall size and depth of the unit takes a big drop, allowing more room to work with. Usually by ditching the disc drive you also throw out motorized face, but some units still use them for security and detachment...this also has to be given up.

So 6.1 max, no CD/DVD, and no motorized gizmos. I can live with that! So I will be taking the car down there next week to sort out some choices and prices. Further info will be coming.

• wstefan20 likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#26 Grandprix1

Grandprix1

W3GXP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMount Airy, MD

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:36 AM

A few minutes with a pro always brings a wealth of information... I stopped by Audio Express today and was enlightened by the manager/head installer. I trust these guys to the bone because they have done 3 installs on 3 different cars I've owned and each time the result has been amazing. I showed him the eBay unit I posted previously and he immediately replied "Thats not gonna fit." I asked him why and he immediately segwayed to "What are we trying to do?" As soon as I mentioned my discontent about finding an appealing single-din unit for the car, he replied frankly that it could easily be done if I was willing to make some sacrifices. Such as? He says there are more than a few double-din units on the market with 6.1 screens...this gets closest to the dash hole size. The dash face is not as big a problem as mounting the unit in the dash frame itself, which in turn dictates the face position. If you are willing to ditch CD/DVD drives and go with digital media, the overall size and depth of the unit takes a big drop, allowing more room to work with. Usually by ditching the disc drive you also throw out motorized face, but some units still use them for security and detachment...this also has to be given up. So 6.1 max, no CD/DVD, and no motorized gizmos. I can live with that! So I will be taking the car down there next week to sort out some choices and prices. Further info will be coming.

Document this very very very well!!! I wanna do this. I don’t need CDs etc.
  • KnightOwl likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT

Mods: Cold Air Inductions Sealed Air Intake, Performance Shift, ZZP Downpipe (Catted), Tune, Front and Rear STB, ZZP Throttle Body Heat Shield, Impala SS Brakes, 180* T-Stat, 

Appearance Mods: Silver Grand Prix Badges, Rear inlay Decals, Red Brake Calipers, Special Edition Exhaust Tips, Always Clean?

Carlisle GM Nationals 1st Place Grand Prix Stock June 17th-19th 2016

Carlisle Chevy Nationals 2nd Place Grand Prix June 23rd-25th 2017

Kpjduvq.jpg

#27 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

Unfortunately I wont be doing the work but I'll ask about details

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#28 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

The Sony XAV-AX100 was installed today by Audio Express. The 6.2 touch screen 2 din unit went in with NO dash panel modification required! :)  The lack of any CD/DVD drive drastically reduces the depth, therefore the unit could be mounted deeper in the carrier bracket, allowing it to sit nicely behind the stock dash opening. The head unit also has a bit of a thick outer border since it has no CD slot or motorized-detachable face. The finished product looks amazing and the steering wheel controls are retained. Bluetooth works great and the unit is Apple CarPlay / Android compatible.

Here is the finished unit installed...

IMG_5980-L.jpg

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#29 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

The AX-100 also allows customized wallpaper, so I whipped up this to install

RedRavenWllppr-S.jpg

And installed on the screen...

IMG_5981-M.jpg

The only downside is now the power output of this head unit shows how woefully inadequate my stock speakers are! LOL

• 94 olds vert likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#30 Imp558

Imp558

Proud TransCelestialsexual

• Contributing Member
  • 5,308 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

Steering wheel controls still work?

• KnightOwl likes this

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

Her Stuff: 1996 SSEi - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

#31 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

Yes indeed...total cost installed was $800. Head unit, antenna adapter, steering control adapter, harness plug, chassis bracket kit and labor. Dropped off at 9am and picked up at 430. I agree that is a little high but I've tried modern stereo install on my Magnum and it was a nightmare I dont care to re-live.

Its in, looks great and works...good enough for me.

• Imp558 likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#32 Grandprix1

Grandprix1

W3GXP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMount Airy, MD

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Hmm if you could do it with out labor that would save. That looks really nice! How much was the head unit? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • KnightOwl likes this

2002 Grand Prix GT

Mods: Cold Air Inductions Sealed Air Intake, Performance Shift, ZZP Downpipe (Catted), Tune, Front and Rear STB, ZZP Throttle Body Heat Shield, Impala SS Brakes, 180* T-Stat, 

Appearance Mods: Silver Grand Prix Badges, Rear inlay Decals, Red Brake Calipers, Special Edition Exhaust Tips, Always Clean?

Carlisle GM Nationals 1st Place Grand Prix Stock June 17th-19th 2016

Carlisle Chevy Nationals 2nd Place Grand Prix June 23rd-25th 2017

Kpjduvq.jpg

#33 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

I agree for sure...if you can do the wiring, and it might be one of those things where I probably could've tackled it with some good instruction, but its in there now! LOL The AX-100 head unit was just under $400 plus the adapters and bracket kit.

Heres a link to the head unit from Crutchfield.

https://www.crutchfi...-XAV-AX100.html

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

#34 Imp558

Imp558

Proud TransCelestialsexual

• Contributing Member
  • 5,308 posts
  • LocationErie PA.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

Crutchfield looks expensive, but if you bundle all the doo-dads together then overall the price can be a great deal. I did the SSEI that way.

Banner2.png

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"  - Mario Andretti

1996 Buick Regal L67/4T65E-HD swapped - 1995 Buick Regal GS - 1980 Dodge Sno-Commander - 1968 Empi Imp on '67 Pan - 2001 Chevrolet Express 3500

Her Stuff: 1996 SSEi - 2001 Monte Carlo SS

#35 94 olds vert

94 olds vert

Executive Member

• Contributing Member
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationRay, MI

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

That's the unit I was looking at for my truck. What is the navigation like?
  • KnightOwl likes this

new sig 3.jpg

1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible [2Q 2012 COTQ]

2000 Grand Prix GTP 2015 GMC Sierra Z71 SOLD

2006 Chevrolet Silverado

#36 KnightOwl

KnightOwl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:11 AM

Navigation would be through the Apple Carplay maps for me...havent tried either actually

2002 Grand Prix GT 

WhiteRavenSig-S.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users