1998 Grand Prix GT radiator replacement

worb4me

No questions, it's done. Took me 7 hours for some bewildering reason, but that included an unsuccessful attempt at fixing a flat, for the first time, and looking at a video or 2 to try and determine how to remove the low coolant sensor (it just twists off after you remove the clip). I'm still sore! The damned thing was leaking tranny fluid like a sieve in the beginning, so what did this master mechanic do - run to wallyworld to buy some white plumber's tape. Until it dawned on me to just tighten the fitting (top line). Been doing fine since. But if idling too long, sometimes even not that long, the gauge approaches, reaches, perhaps slightly passes the 210 degree mark. Until the fans kick in. I want to flush the whole system, but are skeered some stop leak is holding some coolant (or water at this moment) from escaping from somewhere. I'll just flush it with water a few times then add antifreeze. Been using green stuff.

I didn't manage to reinstall the 2 bumpers on top. Not sure why, I was just ready to call it a night.

I bought the radiator from Prime Choice on ebay. If somewhere down the road it fails and I decide to hold on to the car, there are bigger radiators, I'll probably get one of those. These:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Radiator/01386/C0331.oap?model=Grand+Prix&vi=1317103&year=1998&make=Pontiac

as recommended on a grandprixforums thread. I think the guy found one with a 1 3/8" core though. Kind of pricey, 134$ - 192$. Not sure if it's cost effective when mind only cost 45$ w/the shipping. I could buy 3 more and still not spend 192$. I seem to recall my parents having a 1994 Grand Prix, and when attempting to pull a small trailer home from Florida, trying to alleviate overheating (which later turned out to be on account of the transmission) by having a small ancillary radiator installed. Not sure if they're available for newer cars which are so much tighter. But that seems to make as much sense as anything.

This week I'm doing the rear brakes and rotors. Bought drilled and slotted rotors off ebay, some canadian company. Probably have near 8-900$ into this care already. Runs good though so far.