3.4 dohc Timing Belt, tensioner & idler pulleys

tonytoca_87

Hello all i noticed that my timing belt is worn and ready to be replaced. Has anyone attempted to change there belt and on a scale of 1 through 10 how hard is the job. Im a DIY guy and like everyone else i like to save money if possible. However if its a pain in the ass i will consider paying a mechanic. Theres a video on youtube that is some what helpful but doesnt give step by instruction. https://youtu.be/d3fzI_ODZFI

Yea that video is what I used and it went smooth as silk. I would rate it 3 out of 10. That video shows you what you need to know to do this job. I watched it twice and went to town.

• Like 2

MemphisMan thanks for responding brother. Im going to give it a go. I ordered the belt kit on amazon and just waiting for fedex to deliver package.

I did exactly this about 3 weeks ago.l and used the same video as reference. It does work. Scale of 1-10, it's a 4. See my post about it here: MemphisMan thanks for responding brother. Im going to give it a go. I ordered the belt kit on amazon and just waiting for fedex to deliver package

http://www.w-body.com/topic/55676-lq1-timing-belt-replacement-my-first-experience/?do=findComment&comment=1236266

MemphisMan thanks for responding brother. Im going to give it a go. I ordered the belt kit on amazon and just waiting for fedex to deliver package

I did exactly this about 3 weeks ago.l and used the same video as reference. It does work. Scale of 1-10, it's a 4. See my post about it here:

http://www.w-body.com/topic/55676-lq1-timing-belt-replacement-my-first-experience/?do=findComment&comment=1236266

Yea that video is what I used and it went smooth as silk. I would rate it 3 out of 10. That video shows you what you need to know to do this job. I watched it twice and went to town.

dogginred90 Thanks for the fast reply. I will give it a shot

• 2 weeks later...

So im a little confused and hoping this forum can help me on trying to figure out how to allign the arrow on the crankshaft to the arrow on the engine. Do i rotate the crank shaft clockwise with breaker bar? And do i have to disconnect battery for this job. Thanks, Tony

You shouldn't have to disconnect the battery for the job. 

Also, you don't rotate the crankshaft with a breaker bar. Just use a normal ratchet. If the crank pulley is hard to move then there's other issues, but a normal sized ratchet should move it if the engine is not seized. 

As far as aligning the arrows, the points have to meet. Basically there should be a mark on the engine block that matches with the crank. That's supposed to be top dead center. It has been said however to double check the engine is at top dead center before aligning the cams.

Also worth noting, if you bought the kit with the pulleys and belt, it comes with instructions on how to set timing. Follow those instructions. 

• Like 1

Here is a clip I did showing where the timing marks are to ensure you're at TDC before removing the belt.  The mark on the dampener is a notch that's cut into it and could be hard to locate if there's a lot of dirt/grime filling the notch.  I marked mine with white paint once I found it.  

• Like 1

Also, look at this video about how I marked the actual belt.  I made sure to distinguish between the front and rear bank by writing "F" and "R" between the marks.  That way, I wouldn't get confused if I dropped the belt or flipped it around.

• Like 1

You shouldn't have to disconnect the battery for the job. 

Also, you don't rotate the crankshaft with a breaker bar. Just use a normal ratchet. If the crank pulley is hard to move then there's other issues, but a normal sized ratchet should move it if the engine is not seized. 

As far as aligning the arrows, the points have to meet. Basically there should be a mark on the engine block that matches with the crank. That's supposed to be top dead center. It has been said however to double check the engine is at top dead center before aligning the cams.

Also worth noting, if you bought the kit with the pulleys and belt, it comes with instructions on how to set timing. Follow those instructions.

Thanks Nas Escobar!

Here is a clip I did showing where the timing marks are to ensure you're at TDC before removing the belt.  The mark on the dampener is a notch that's cut into it and could be hard to locate if there's a lot of dirt/grime filling the notch.  I marked mine with white paint once I found it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YIR8IMbhfg

WOW Great upload MemphisMan! Your video answered my questions and know i feel more confident on finishing the job. I really appreciate your help, Tony