Rare International in yard!

jiggity76

Went down to Wrench N Go in Des Moines, IA this morning to look for some 87 Chevy truck parts and couldn't believe me eyes!

Found a 1992 International 4 door, white with red leather interior in the GM section.  Made me sad to see it there but on the other hand, I need these parts!  It was all complete but really rusty in the rockers and underside, typical of Iowa road salt and bad winters.  The trailing arms, mounts, and subframes were rotted out so maybe that's why someone junked it.  My phone isn't working the best so I couldn't get pictures of it.

It's a 3.1 V6 car with factory cassette radio in it.  The interior was pretty much trashed when I got there, someone tore out the dash cluster and radio area.  The AQ9 seat controls are there and seem in good shape, no moon roof and no rear luggage rack.  The front seats look ok, but leather is of course cracked in spots.  Rear seat is completely tore out and so is the passenger front door panel. 

The best and sad part - it had the complete factory HUD option!!!!  I managed to carefully pull the HUD unit, HUD switch and cable along with wiring harness.  I never done this before so it took forever and I really had to squirm around and work the wires and cable thru the dash which wasn't fun.  Maybe there is a better way but I finally got it out.  I kept all the screws, bolts, and connectors as well.  I also took the center mount for the HUD switch and cubby hole.  Took the glove box door cover and the driver side seat belt cover and trim that's on top of the door panel.  The only thing I couldn't bet out was the metal HUD mount on top of the dash.  Couldn't get it to come free from the dash so I left it.  Everything only cost me $48 bucks!

If anyone needs parts from this car, go check it out.  The dash pad is junk but it has the complete drivetrain in it still.  It also has the full set of factory pie alloys on it as of right now.  It cost $40 bucks per rim and I just couldn't swing that.  Tires are another $40 bucks a piece and I don't know if they will separate them.  Usually they don't even keep the rims on vehicles but they are there.  Steering wheel controls/horn pad is gone but good front and rear lights.  Let me know guys and I can give you more info from memory. 

Located at Wrench N Go in Des Moines, IA.  The vin is 1G3WR54T5ND317600.

Crap, just realized I forgot to bring the cable and wiring harness home.  I think it's still in the dash, should be freed up in the dash but totally forgot to grab it when I headed for the cashier.  So the HUD harness and cable is still in the car.  Hopefully it will be there when I get a chance to make it down there again and they wait to crush it for awhile yet.

I would also grab the HUD mount.  You need that. 

2 7mm screws around the cluster, and 1 7 mm screw where the HUD would sit....it's tight around the windshield but you can get it no problem!

Hey thanks Bake82!  I already have a HUD mount in my current car but just wanted to have a extra one.  I got the screws all undone and it's loose but just can't seem to get it out.  I'm heading down there this morning and trying again.  I'm going to look for a good door for my truck too.

Hey thanks Bake82!  I already have a HUD mount in my current car but just wanted to have a extra one.  I got the screws all undone and it's loose but just can't seem to get it out.  I'm heading down there this morning and trying again.  I'm going to look for a good door for my truck too

Now that I think about it...Doesn't the dash pad need to come out?   

probably, but the dash was all tore apart before I got there.  I think someone tried to get the HUD unit and maybe the stereo, AC controls and just went crazy on it. Heading down there now, I'll try to post some pics this time.

Now that I think about it...Doesn't the dash pad need to come out?   

Just got back and I had to pull the dash forward just a little bit to get the front of the bracket to come down and out.  Worked pretty good and only cost $5 bucks.  No luck on the door for my 87 GMC.  Trucks are in the back still and they lied about them being out today and available for parts, that sucks!

I want the entire car!!

I know right!  Sadly like most yards, they won't sell the entire car once it's out in the pull area.  It's pretty bad shape body wise with all the rust but damn sad to see a rare car going to the crusher!  Wish I could afford to pull the pie alloys off of it but don't think I can.  The only other thing I might want is the AQ9 seat controls and the front seats since they are International specific.

They wanted 40 bucks for each alloy plus another 40 bucks if you wanted the tires.  I don't know if they separate the rim from the tires if you just want the pies.  That's 160 bucks for just the pies or if they don't separate them and you have to buy both tire/rim, then that's 320 bucks total.  I have three full sets of pie alloys right now and three sets of seat controls.  I also have 4 sets of International badges so pretty well stocked up.  Been busy with stuff but will try to post pics of the car this weekend and some pics of my car all cleaned up.  Bought a new truck and will post some pics of her too!

It's strange that they left the rims and tires on the car.  99% of the vehicles in the yard have them stripped off-I think they take them off of the vehicles and scrap them right away.