LQ1 Timing Belt Replacement: My first experience

MemphisMan

I successfully changed the timing belt, three pulleys, and actuator on my '95 Cutlass last weekend. It was my first time changing a timing belt on an LQ1. I followed the method outlined in the following video and it worked great! I'm not sure if anyone on this site has used this method, but I can verify that it works. Of note, this method only works if your engine is timed properly and with the old belt still in place (ie not broken). Total time using this method can be around an hour. It took me longer because I had a broken timing belt cover that I had to order and wait for it to arrive. I used the Gates TCK192 Timing Belt Component Kit ($118 from Amazon) and GM Actuator P/N: 24503860 ($76.53 + $8.56 shipping from group1autoparts.com).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fzI_ODZFI

.Of note, I also replaced the serpentine belt. I can't believe how much easier it is to change the serpentine belt with the coolant reservoir removed! OMG!! Since it only takes a minute to remove the reservoir, I'll be removing it for all future serpentine belt changes.

Edited by MemphisMan
  • Like 1

Good job on the belts, and the actuator. I think I will order 2 more actuators in the next month to keep in my stash. Who knows how much longer those will be available from group1auto.

• Like 2

Actuators were getting pretty scarce the last belt replacement I did three years ago...

I know what you mean about the bottle....I hated that thing.

• Like 1

That is the same video I watched to do mine. Actually I think we even ordered the same parts from the same places lol. I have to agree that it was a simple install. I did alot more things besides the timing belt, but it was easy following the video. That bottle is amazingly big and once it is removed it opens up that whole side of the engine. Good job man.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this info. I did not think of replacing the actuator. Do you think its important?

I successfully changed the timing belt, three pulleys, and actuator on my '95 Cutlass last weekend. It was my first time changing a timing belt on an LQ1. I followed the method outlined in the following video and it worked great! I'm not sure if anyone on this site has used this method, but I can verify that it works. Of note, this method only works if your engine is timed properly and with the old belt still in place (ie not broken). Total time using this method can be around an hour. It took me longer because I had a broken timing belt cover that I had to order and wait for it to arrive. I used the Gates TCK192 Timing Belt Component Kit ($118 from Amazon) and GM Actuator P/N: 24503860 ($76.53 + $8.56 shipping from group1autoparts.com).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fzI_ODZFI

.Of note, I also replaced the serpentine belt. I can't believe how much easier it is to change the serpentine belt with the coolant reservoir removed! OMG!! Since it only takes a minute to remove the reservoir, I'll be removing it for all future serpentine belt changes.

If it was me, I would change the actuator every timing component change. Which they say every 60,000 miles. My son's LQ1 only has 90,000 miles on the odometer and I don't think the belt or anything was changed. So of course I did everything belt, pulleys(which fell apart), and the actuator(which the boot was torn and leaking). Better safe than sorry. Especially since this is my 16 year old son's car.

• Like 1

I guess I better watch video. How long actuators work for?

It's really hard to say. I've heard of people never having replaced one, but on the other hand, I had one fail after only 35,000 miles, which meant I had to do everything all over again. 

Actuators were getting pretty scarce the last belt replacement I did three years ago...

I know what you mean about the bottle....I hated that thing.

I only hated it before I knew to remove it. I like the fact that it's so easy to remove too.
  • Like 1

If it was me, I would change the actuator every timing component change. Which they say every 60,000 miles. My son's LQ1 only has 90,000 miles on the odometer and I don't think the belt or anything was changed. So of course I did everything belt, pulleys(which fell apart), and the actuator(which the boot was torn and leaking). Better safe than sorry. Especially since this is my 16 year old son's car.

I started inspecting my belt at 50k miles, then every 5k after that. i started noticing minor cracks at 60k, but not to the point I thought it needed changing. I'm talking extremely minor cracks. I waited until just north of 70k before doing the engines first timing belt change. I'm not saying to wait that long, but I monitored my belt like a hawk. It takes less than a minute to check the belt and I did it at each oil change.

Mine was real bad. Belt worn and cracked. Both plastic pulleys the inside rings were completely broken apart from the outer rings. It was an utterm mess.

Thanks for the note about Group1. Is about the best price on the net and sent it right out. Have in the stash but the timing belt (have about 40k on the replacement) looks just fine.

ps if need is not urgent, Rock Auto is usually less expensive than Amazon Prime.

The thing is, sometimes you can't predict when there will be a problem.  My first failure happened right after I started it up in the driveway.  When the actuator failed, I was cruising at 40 MPH on a beautiful day---and suddenly the car quit.

^ Yep thats it

Mine failed 90 miles from home without warning. I say change every time but hang onto the old ones. They aren't getting any easier to find. I'm afraid they've been discontinued.