Lower engine mount studs don't want to line up

GrandpasLumina

Please tell me there's some crazy trick to getting these studs to drop in. I can get the front one in, but then the back one is off by a few millimeters. I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to this car. :damnit1:

Edit: This is a 97 Lumina with a 3.1.

It's kind of a pain in the dick to get it to line up right.  It's best to have a friend help you rock the engine back and forth (remove the dogbones) and use a prybar or something to get it lined up again.

It's kind of a pain in the dick to get it to line up right.  It's best to have a friend help you rock the engine back and forth (remove the dogbones) and use a prybar or something to get it lined up again.

That's kinda what I was doing, but no luck so far.

Can you loosen the nuts on the top of it so it has more wiggle room? They kind of have to have the right spacing by design.

I'll try that.

The tranny mount was so ridiculously easy compared to this. Why couldn't they have designed it similarly? :-(

i had the advantage of using a lift to do mine and used a jack to move the engine around and it was still a pain.

are you certain you were sold the correct mount? I've had to return mislabeled ones before.

I had my CS facing uphill when doing the lower mounts and the studs slid right in, Did the same job on my old GTP but was on flat ground and had similar issues as you described. IIRC I used a crowbar to coax the studs in on that job.